NECA: Alien Movie Franchise Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome back, a 2006er! I definitely recognize your avatar and sig. Nice display there.

I only bought Kane and Ash from this wave, got them off a UK seller on ebay. They got here fast and box condition was pretty good. I was braced for the worst with how fragile this packaging style is.

Ash is great. Surprised he's entirely new, doesn't look like they reused anything from previous figures. I know what you mean about the face paint, even the neck - definitely a matte finish whereas Parker and Brett had sheen to them. I'm not too fussed about that.

Yeah the tray with the dissected facehugger would have been a great accessory and we don't have that - maybe they used up all their budget already. Oh well.

My criticisms of what we do have - as so frustratingly often, one leg longer than the other so he stands with a lean. I dunno wtf is up with NECA and this issue.
He also has no swivel waist (BttF II Marty didn't either) - strange. Another budgetary thing? Well, it's not really a big deal.

Overall I'm delighted to have this guy and thanks to NECA for making him.

Kane - I'm surprised how pleased I am to have a spacesuit Kane with a likeness looking out through that visor. The spacesuits were already great figures and now this lends a greater sense of completion to that set. I still have my old Kane collapsed on the floor with the facehugger head.

The NECA Alien line is terrific if a little flawed. Awesome to now have the entire Nostromo crew in some form - albeit now with an increased need and demand that they all be made in their regular Nostromo jumpsuits. How far off might Dallas, Kane and Lambert be and will they all come out at once? With so many ''Big Chaps'' released in this 40th anniversary collection how will they fulfil the creature quota if/when they put out those remaining human figures? Just rereleases? Or might we finally get that piranha head from NECA. Who knows.

As for the flaw I mentioned - well, it's the scaling inconsistency. It started with the Alien itself - NECA have historically made Aliens too tall and Predators too short. The spacesuit figures also had an issue where, due to budget, they just reused the same sculpt for Lambert as with Kane and Dallas when really she ought to have been smaller. Then a third scaling issue arose with the Parker and Brett wave (first noticed by P.) where suddenly the human figures have gotten larger. Parker in particular is way too big, oversized in general by about 10% I previously estimated. So it's not like you can cut out parts of him to shrink him because then he'll be out of proportion with himself. He's not inhumanly large but he is inaccurately large. The figure should just barely be taller than Ripley but he absolutely towers over her. We are no doubt stuck with this and unfortunately NECA would probably not acknowledge the problem let alone fix it on future releases.

I hate to criticize them too much though because no other collectibles company has ever done what they have done and produced the range of characters from these movies that we now have. I am eternally grateful to them for that.

That's really odd... why would they change the paint apps for Ash? Doesn't make much sense...
And mine has legs of the same length, fortunately.

As for the different sizes, at least Parker, Brett and Ash all seem to be well scaled in relation to each other. Hopefully Dallas, Kane and Lambert follow this trend. I wonder if they'll do another Ripley, in scale with these new ones.

That's really odd... why would they change the paint apps for Ash? Doesn't make much sense...
And mine has legs of the same length, fortunately.

My saying ''one leg longer than the other'' is technically wrong since not everyone will have the issue therefore it's not like one leg is actually sculpted longer than the other. It's the molding of the joint itself that must be the problem - sometimes (a lot of the time, far too bloody much of the time) it's just wonky and will have one leg more recessed up inside the hip.

I would say ''wonky hip joint'' but that doesn't really describe the problem without the further elaboration.

As for the different sizes, at least Parker, Brett and Ash all seem to be well scaled in relation to each other. Hopefully Dallas, Kane and Lambert follow this trend. I wonder if they'll do another Ripley, in scale with these new ones

I dunno about that. The Ash figure is shorter than Ripley - which I believe is correct. So it would follow that he can't be correctly scaled with Parker since Ripley isn't.

My saying ''one leg longer than the other'' is technically wrong since not everyone will have the issue therefore it's not like one leg is actually sculpted longer than the other. It's the molding of the joint itself that must be the problem - sometimes (a lot of the time, far too bloody much of the time) it's just wonky and will have one leg more recessed up inside the hip.

I would say ''wonky hip joint'' but that doesn't really describe the problem without the further elaboration.

I dunno about that. The Ash figure is shorter than Ripley - which I believe is correct. So it would follow that he can't be correctly scaled with Parker since Ripley isn't.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the joints being the culprit in NECA's wonky legs.

As for the relative size between Ash - Parker, Brett and Ash - Ripley, I think the important bit is that Ash is shorter than Brett. Ian Holm was the shortest of the entire cast (1,65 m), whereas Sigourney (1,82 m) is almost as tall as Yaphet Kotto (1,90 m). So, the one out of scale is Ripley.

I also have the issue with the knees being bent the wrong way. With the Aliens Marines it's most prevalent with mine.

Assume hot water to fix them, or something else?

They are bent to the left or right. It's kind of hard to see in the pic below. His left knee is not bent forward, it looks that way because it's bent inwards. And his right knee is bent outwards.

IMG_6152.jpg

I see, yeah, hot water or hairdryer, bend it to a correct position and hold it there until it cools off. Might want to run cold water over it to accelerate the process.
I've been doing that to my NECA aliens for ages, especially for the Giger alien, in order to get the legs in the correct "Bolaji Badejo shape". I also did it to bend the back tubes farther out, NECA's packaging always has them (incorrectly) clumped together in the back.

Thanks! I have tried the hair dryer, but will try the hot water. Yeah, for NECA figs I do that and then actually dunk them into ice water to ?set? the plastic. But sometimes they bend back over time. Maybe I need to keep it in the ice water for longer.

It's happened to me as well, not sure how to make it permanent on some of the figures where the parts just go back to the original warped position...
The Covenant alien for one, the back tubes just keep going back to their original position, no matter how many times I've tried to reposition them.

I accept 'in the ballpark' for this scale and for characters I once thought would never happen. That's why if I have criticisms it will tend to be about something else. Truly nailed likenesses do happen even at this scale though so admittedly it's not impossible.

I think I'm going to need a repaint for that Ripley though... Ash looks more or less ok next to Brett and Parker, but Ripley not so much.

i doubt anybody (except for a-dev probably, but that doesn't count) would ever even notice the scale question if i didn't start whining :lol
but height is not the main problem, she's too slim for a human person in that scale, and that makes it noticeable and obvious.

Back