NECA: Alien Movie Franchise Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking at that "newt" i feel a decade younger. when i collected McFarlane. their human faces were as bad as this one :lol

Newt came out better then expected. One of the best in the Alien line so far. Waiting on Vasquez and Frost, which didn't get much coverage at SDCC.

So you opened her up, eh?! With the price these things are fetching, I was wondering if it would be relegated to 'collectible' MIP duty for most.

Who else with one on the way has plans to open em up?

Wanted it for the collection, not to sell and make money. Is that what most people here are doing with their figures? What a huge waste of time and money.

Wanted it for the collection, not to sell and make money. Is that what most people here are doing with their figures? What a huge waste of time and money.

Ha. Simmer down, bud. Not sure why you would jump to that conclusion. Plenty of people collect MIP for their own collections even on figures that aren't 'worth' anything. They have their reasons for preferring it which often has nothing to do with making profit.

I typically don't, and happily open it all up. However once you pay triple retail for something of a very limited run, it almost seems wasteful to throw it on a pile of 'common' figures to collect dust with everything else. Just the principle of the thing.

Besides, if "plan B" works out, you can just open up the re-release for display and preserve the limited one. You lose nothing by being patient and seeing what is next before you decide. That decision does not equal wasted time nor money.

Didn't know I was riled up. Just responding to your comment. You appear to need to do the simmering down.

When the response to an innocent question is a lecture and criticism of an imagined offense, forgive me if I assume you are on edge a bit.

If explaining alternative reasoning to your false assumption makes you believe I am on edge, then so be it.

Thanks for posting the pics though. I like it.

Lecture? You're the one with the three paragraphs. There's always someone, no matter where you go on the Internet, who doesn't bother to reread a post, and immediate strikes out in a tirade. I'll refrain from posting from now on.
Bud? Who talks like that? Are you Judd Nelson?

So you opened her up, eh?! With the price these things are fetching, I was wondering if it would be relegated to 'collectible' MIP duty for most.

Who else with one on the way has plans to open em up?
... I have one on the way. Fingers crossed so I can get her next week. Of course I'm to open it, why would I keep her in the box? The whole reason I paid as much as I did was so I could display her with Ripley :D

Sent from my Moto E using Tapatalk

:rolleyes2

---

Apparently, the Mantis Alien is Randy's favorite, so that might've played a part in the case breakdown. I just hope they're able to go in deep on this sub-line; it'd be interesting to see what they do with some of the marines.

... I hear you. It's one thing when you just like to keep stuff in the boxes, but I find it funny when people do so in order to keep some "value". Flor the the real value is having these figures displayed and posed next to each other. Just my opinion of course [emoji14]

Sent from my Moto E using Tapatalk

Lecture? You're the one with the three paragraphs. There's always someone, no matter where you go on the Internet, who doesn't bother to reread a post, and immediate strikes out in a tirade. I'll refrain from posting from now on.
Bud? Who talks like that? Are you Judd Nelson?

-"bud" was a lighthearted word on chosen on purpose to keep things from feeling too serious. It didn't work, oh well.
-My 3 'paragraphs' were 3 alternatives to you conclusion. Most people would just call that extra info in a discussion, not a 'tirade'.
-I read your post. I responded by asking what OTHERS are doing regarding opening it. You you inserted yourself back into it by basically saying the act of not opening was equal to being scalper, to which I responded again disproving that statement. It seems you haven't read (or accepted) my post in fact.

I honestly don't see your problem here. Sorry I called you 'bud'. Sorry I said you should 'simmer down'. I'm sure that helped get us off on wrong foot. My points are still valid though.

Just some info on Series 10,

The case is split pretty weird between the figures, first time there's been a series like this:

Mantis Alien x6
Gorilla Alien x5
Alien Queen Facehugger x3

Obviously shows which ones they have the most faith in. Mantis seems to be the favorite, Would be be mine. Not sure on the whole general consensus though.

Also important info for those in the UK (might not be relevant elsewhere) expect another hike in price for these products... these are going to retail close to if not £30.00 that's $39.49 per figure!

Mantis may be cool for the sheer height factor once you got him stretched out, and the Gorilla is just a huge tank of a thing with the cool added feature of the removable dome head to see the skull work underneath. Both are quite unique and cool on their own.

For me though the surprise is with the Queen Facehugger once you flip it over and see the amount of work gone underneath. Its so damn detailed.

Mantis may be cool for the sheer height factor once you got him stretched out, and the Gorilla is just a huge tank of a thing with the cool added feature of the removable dome head to see the skull work underneath. Both are quite unique and cool on their own.

For me though the surprise is with the Queen Facehugger once you flip it over and see the amount of work gone underneath. Its so damn detailed.

I might also add it will be interesting to see if this does sell well outside of the fans who collected the original toy line. Movie fans tend to be more purists with the Alien design, so these more out there looks may not sit well with a lot of people.

I might also add it will be interesting to see if this does sell well outside of the fans who collected the original toy line. Movie fans tend to be more purists with the Alien design, so these more out there looks may not sit well with a lot of people.

I wasn't a fan of this line when it was new in the 90's. It offered me no direct tie-in. Being a fan from the get go in 79, I didn't 'hate' this kenner off shoot line, just had no interest in it. I'll give them a cool factor point for sure but I'll pass on adding them to my collection.

In other news, my Newt should be delivered today, hopefully! I pre-ordered a Vasquez too. It would be awesome if they do as someone suggested and make a second run from the Ops battle with her and a pulse rifle. That would be an instant pre-order.

.. It would be awesome if they do as someone suggested and make a second run from the Ops battle with her and a pulse rifle. That would be an instant pre-order.

I really want that version as well. I am going to try and build one. I ordered an extra vaz with the plan to use the smartgun on a custom drake, then the leftover vaz for a Finals Ops battle version. Fingers crossed it all works out.

That is why I expected the case assortment to be more heavy on the gorilla. It seems like a more pass-able design to the purists over the clearly wild Mantis.

I'm sure at some point they will do a final battle Vas with pulse rifle, they had to make a new body for the SG version so they can use the lower body at least and if the chest plate and rigging is done like the chest armor on the other Marines and a separate piece there are parts of the upper body they could use. Obviously the head would need to be new. With all the time and money going into tooling the unique body and getting her likeness I'm positive they will eventually get to a 2nd version.

Plenty of people collect MIP for their own collections even on figures that aren't 'worth' anything. They have their reasons for preferring it which often has nothing to do with making profit.

I typically don't, and happily open it all up. However once you pay triple retail for something of a very limited run, it almost seems wasteful to throw it on a pile of 'common' figures to collect dust with everything else. Just the principle of the thing.

Besides, if "plan B" works out, you can just open up the re-release for display and preserve the limited one. You lose nothing by being patient and seeing what is next before you decide. That decision does not equal wasted time nor money.

This is spot on, points are 100% valid and nothing wrong was said.

Tho what I'm going to try and discuss is probably going to be a lot more controversial

What he hit on was should people who are just going to open Newt really feel forced to spend $$$

Probably not, In my opinion I believe there's basically just more reasoning behind someone spending that much to keep it sealed then loose. Sealed collectors are buying it for the specific packaging / version or to have a complete boxed collection. Whereas loose collectors mainly just want the character to display with others.

Now yes we don't know 100% we are going to get another Newt but this is the point, if you are a loose collector and need Newt in your collection 100% (fair enough) then buy the SDCC version, it's a good backup plan. But you're taking quite the risk if you just open it up the moment it gets to you because it could just be a couple days later that Newt is announced for people outside of SDCC for $20.00 or whatever and If all you want to do is have her on display next to Ripley then you might regret the $$$ purchase.

and no the cost is not really worth the possible 1 missing accessory to have loose that if any logic was applied on the decision it will be the Photograph.

Please no-one that buying Newt to solely open it take offense to this. That's not the point, we just wanted to know from you guys what your thinking is on this matter, if you'll be tempted to wait a little and see what happens or if you're simply just happy to spend the money get it sooner and open it up straight away, meaning that you choose having Newt in your display from now and therefore is worth the risk of Newt being released around the corner for a lot less?

This is spot on, points are 100% valid and nothing wrong was said.

Tho what I'm going to try and discuss is probably going to be a lot more controversial

What he hit on was should people who are just going to open Newt really feel forced to spend $$$

Probably not, In my opinion I believe there's basically just more reasoning behind someone spending that much to keep it sealed then loose. Sealed collectors are buying it for the specific packaging / version or to have a complete boxed collection. Whereas loose collectors mainly just want the character to display with others.

Now yes we don't know 100% we are going to get another Newt but this is the point, if you are a loose collector and need Newt in your collection 100% (fair enough) then buy the SDCC version, it's a good backup plan. But you're taking quite the risk if you just open it up the moment it gets to you because it could just be a couple days later that Newt is announced for people outside of SDCC for $20.00 or whatever and If all you want to do is have her on display next to Ripley then you might regret the $$$ purchase.

and no the cost is not really worth the possible 1 missing accessory to have loose that if any logic was applied on the decision it will be the Photograph.

Please no-one that buying Newt to solely open it take offense to this. That's not the point, we just wanted to know from you guys what your thinking is on this matter, if you'll be tempted to wait a little and see what happens or if you're simply just happy to spend the money get it sooner and open it up straight away, meaning that you choose having Newt in your display from now and therefore is worth the risk of Newt being released around the corner for a lot less?

...I don't get this mentality. I bought Newt, sure it was more expensive than I'd like, but once she gets in my hands, she's out of the package. Why would I wait for another, possibly less expensive, version? I just need one Newt to have next to my Ripley.

Might be that I don't consider myself a collector, but an Alien fan who always wanted to have figures from the movies to display and appreciate together, and who finally has the chance to do so.

And I sure hope plan B comes through and more people is able to get Newt. She might not be retailer friendly, but more fans deserve to have her in their collections.

...I don't get this mentality. I bought Newt, sure it was more expensive than I'd like, but once she gets in my hands, she's out of the package. Why would I wait for another, possibly less expensive, version? I just need one Newt to have next to my Ripley.

Might be that I don't consider myself a collector, but an Alien fan who always wanted to have figures from the movies to display and appreciate together, and who finally has the chance to do so.

And I sure hope plan B comes through and more people is able to get Newt. She might not be retailer friendly, but more fans deserve to have her in their collections.

The "collectors" should be just fine with their SDCC Newt. But speaking strictly 'as a fan' there is actually more risk in my mind.

What if Plan B ends up being the superior option for "fans"? For example, a "Leather Jacket Ripley/Newt" 2-pack would be superior in my mind.

As fans we would want the 'new' Ripley/figure in the two pack,right? If so, we run the risk of having 2 'opened' newts instead of one sealed limited Newt you could have used to recoup costs and/or fund the purchase of the 2 pack.

If plan B is disappointing or never materializes, I agree: Open her. But you know what they say; "El reisgo siempre viva". So I don't see anything wrong with waiting and confirming my options before the scissors come out.

Back