My Mummy PF Horror Story!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzfan84

Super Freak
Reaction score
So as many of you all know, the color Mummy PF is the only one I need to complete my Uni Horror collection.

Last Spook, I was one of the first people to the page when they had the second chance offer for the SSE one, but I clicked it before they switched it from waitlist to in stock. I ended up placing a waitlist order during the time they switched it back to in stock. :(

Today, I thought the stars would align. I watched an auction that started at $450 with no bids all week. It was scheduled to end today. When I got to work, I found that the computers were down. This might have been related to the hurricane everyone thought was coming. I called my gf who told me no worries, she'd put in my maximum bid when the time was right.

I checked in with her 15 minutes before the auction ended and all was well. She was logged in to my ebay account and there were only 2 bids... it was only at $475!

I called back when the auction ended and my gf was very upset. She said she tried and tried, but when she entered my final bid, ebay asked for the username and password again and would not accept the password! She missed the auction and it ended at $475!!! :slap

Now my first thought was to assume she just typed in the password wrong, but she assured me she tried over and over again. I called up ebay to explain the problem, and they confirmed that it was a "site error" that caused her to not be able to enter the password and place a bid! It sounded like they were having a party in the background, and the guy really didn't care when I told him my bid was going to be $1056 and it ended at $475 because of ebay's fault.

I contacted the seller, but it doesn't seem to bother him. I'm sure I wasn't the only person who was going to bid in the last couple of minutes. Because of ebay's site problems, I wasn't able to bid literally double than it was going for.

So now someone walked off with a sweet deal and I feel completely sick that I didn't even have a shot at it because ebay wouldn't let me place a bid. I know I could have bid earlier, but I've been on ebay for 11 years and I've never had trouble bidding on things while an auction is in session.

:gah::gah::gah::gah:

I'm starting to feel like I've been affected by the Mummy's curse! :monkey2

ozz, between all the broken/damaged statues you get from SS and others, and this, I'm beginning to worry about your well-being my friend.

ozz, between all the broken/damaged statues you get from SS and others, and this, I'm beginning to worry about your well-being my friend.

Lol. When I thought I was going to end up snagging it, I was actually going to ask the seller to ship the figure separate from the sarcophagus so nothing horrible happened in shipping!

This just totally sucks though. If ebay wont let bidders bid, they should really freeze the time trackers on all auctions. It's completely unfair for the sellers. Like I said, this would have easily gone up a couple hundred bucks more... my bid would have been over a grand.

Some day... :gah:

man that sucks.. funny that i for some reason had seen that auction earlier today and thought man that thing is cheap (so far) and was thinking of bidding on it (even though i have no interest in it) since i knew it was worth way more than that. of course i most likely would've had the same problem your GF had with bidding at the end of the auction.
anyways good luck with your search.:peace

I remember something like this happening about a year ago. Sellers were pissed because they had valuable items which sold for .99 because the site was screwed up. I was a buyer on an item during the mess and Ebay sent me a coupon for my troubles :lol :cuckoo: I believe the problem that time was that the search function wasn't working correctly. Many listings weren't showing up in searches, causing them to sell for low prices.

I'm really surprised that Ebay hasn't eliminated sniping by adding time to the clock every time a bid is placed.:impatient:

I woke up today feeling sick! Lol. I want this statue sooo bad! I've had so many close calls with this one! If I can get this piece in color or SSE I feel like my collection will be complete.

I woke up today feeling sick! Lol. I want this statue sooo bad! I've had so many close calls with this one! If I can get this piece in color or SSE I feel like my collection will be complete.

Damn wish I'd realized you wanted it. I could of bid for you. I got alert on my iPhone with 15 minutes to go but didn't bother looking since I already have him. That's the cheapest I've ever seen him go. Somebody got REALLY lucky

Oz, that's what's happening when you try to snipe :( You should've just bid the day before if you really wanted it, i know i wouldn't risk that much be leaving it to the last second.

I remember something like this happening about a year ago. Sellers were pissed because they had valuable items which sold for .99 because the site was screwed up. I was a buyer on an item during the mess and Ebay sent me a coupon for my troubles :lol :cuckoo: I believe the problem that time was that the search function wasn't working correctly. Many listings weren't showing up in searches, causing them to sell for low prices.

I'm really surprised that Ebay hasn't eliminated sniping by adding time to the clock every time a bid is placed.:impatient:

Here's an interesting question. If the glitch on ebaY made the item go for less, would the seller be obligated to release it at that price? There's nothing about that in the listing directives and I'd be damned if I'd let something go because some dumb glitch didn't allow people to bid.

Oz, that's what's happening when you try to snipe :( You should've just bid the day before if you really wanted it, i know i wouldn't risk that much be leaving it to the last second.

I always bid in the last couple of minutes.

Fact in the matter is, there shouldn't have been anything to risk. The bid was supposed to be placed when the auction was active. Ebay didn't allow the bid to be placed. That's not my fault, and it never should've happened. The sellers are paying ebay (a lot) for the services, and so bidders could bid on their items.

True, but subjectively speaking, i would've bid earlier.

Speaking of which, what's the deal with sniping? I've done it a few times myself, but overall i think i've won more by just entering my maximum bid. Snipers would come, snipe in the last 10 seconds and lose because they just didn't increased much their bid.

In general, I always bid in the last five minutes.

For example, on the Mummy, the bid I would have logged was going to be $1051. If I logged a bid like that long ago, people could bid up to see my maximum and withdrawl or have a long time to think about it and decide they want to go higher. I don't "snipe"; I place my highest bid at the end once I see where it's at.

Oh ok. Still, with this particular piece maybe you should've bid earlier. Anyway, you had bad luck, but i'm sure you'll get your mummy :)

ps: i don't know absolutely nothing about this piece, how much was it originally? How old is it (the pf not the mummy :p)? What's the usual price for it now? Is it rare?

They came out right before I graduated college and got a job. I couldn't afford stuff like that at the time. I think it was early 07ish. They were $350 and they made 350 of them.

There are 50 of the SSE one. That's the one that tended to go for a ton of cash. The color ones were usually up with no buyers at $800 BIN, but at that time I didn't have all the other ones so I wasn't as big on completing the set.

Has my luck turned?

Why yes... it has!

MUUUAAHH AHHAH HAHA HA HA HA HAAAA!!!!!!

*grins*

Back