MY LIFESIZE STAR WARS DISPLAYS (all 1:1)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: STAR WARS PROPAGANDA site and my personal gallery.

Thanks.

The idea behind this bust was to create the look of Ian McDiarmid in make-up as he would have appeared on set during ROTJ. The prosthetic stops at the ears just like on this sculpt.

I am convinced that when they designed the look for the emperor for ROTJ, his enlarged forehead was supposed to look 'brain-like', which is why you get the two distinct hemispheres.

Did you actual start with the bust of Ian McDiarmid and build on top of that.

Hey Gino did you ever notice how similar the Pruneface guys are to the Emperor? you think those were attempts at the Emperor but instead of tossing it they used it as a new alien?

Orrimaarko_databank.jpg

Did you actual start with the bust of Ian McDiarmid and build on top of that.

Yep, that exactly correct.
Of course, this sculpt's only purpose was to serve as the base for the emperor so it was not preserved or molded at this stage.
It was not super detailed because it would have been a waste to do so, but you can still easily see Ian McDiarmid's likeness.

ianmcdiarmidsculpt_1.jpg

Here is a shot of Ian McDiarmid from the set of ROTJ. You can see where the facial prosthetics stopped on his head. This was the inspiration for the bust. I still may go back and add hair to the head (even though it is always covered by the hood).

hood_off.jpg

Hey Gino did you ever notice how similar the Pruneface guys are to the Emperor? you think those were attempts at the Emperor but instead of tossing it they used it as a new alien?

Orrimaarko_databank.jpg

Very interesting. Something I've never noticed.
It is possible that the pruneface is made from the mold that created the ESB version of Emperor, but the shots of him in the chronicles aren't good enough to say for sure. Certainly very similar at the very least.

One thing I noticed on you web site is your Darth Vader "Return of the Jedi" lightsaber seems wrong isn't it supposed to be a Graflex and not a Heiland flashgun. In the making of Return they didn't have or couldn't find a Heiland so they used what they had which was the Graflex.

https://www.partsofsw.com/dvjedsab.htm

No that is old incorrect information and a myth that has been perpetuated over the years. The info on my site is correct.
The ESB hero saber was re-used as the hero saber for ROTJ as well.
This saber recently was found in a private collection and shown off on the rpf in great detail.
The guy who runs parts of star wars (who is a friend of mine) discovered this fact with me. I'm sure he just never got around to updating his site.
There are two threads in the archived threads section of the RPF that covers this in great depth with lots of pictures.

Here is a comp screen matching the saber.
The emitter has rusted a bit more over the years since ESB.
Keep in mind, they added tiny screws to the tops and bottom of the grips for ROTJ (to prevent them from continually falling off).

0590997.jpg

The graflex based saber that people have come to (incorrectly) know as the rotj vader saber is actually the luke/vader shared stunt dueling saber.

Here is a pic of it in ESB.

0810099.jpg

The allen head screws in the body were there to hold the blade. If you look at the tip/emitter, you will see that the blade has been roughly hacked off.

This shared stunt was used in all three OT SW films. It was used as a practice saber in ANH, then used by luke in ESB and then Vader in rotj. But only as a stunt dueling saber.

This saber has been incorrectly labeled by LFL for years, and due to that has caused incorrect information to be found in many reference books and traveling exhibits. Also MR made a replica of this saber unaware that it was not actually the hero ROTJ saber.
Oops.

No that is old incorrect information and a myth that has been perpetuated over the years. The info on my site is correct.
The ESB hero saber was re-used as the hero saber for ROTJ as well.
This saber recently was found in a private collection and shown off on the rpf in great detail.
The guy who runs parts of star wars (who is a friend of mine) discovered this fact with me. I'm sure he just never got around to updating his site.
There are two threads in the archived threads section of the RPF that covers this in great depth with lots of pictures.

Here is a comp screen matching the saber.
The emitter has rusted a bit more over the years since ESB.
Keep in mind, they added tiny screws to the tops and bottom of the grips for ROTJ (to prevent them from continually falling off).

0590997.jpg

The graflex based saber that people have come to (incorrectly) know as the rotj vader saber is actually the luke/vader shared stunt dueling saber.

Here is a pic of it in ESB.

0810099.jpg

The allen head screws in the body were there to hold the blade. If you look at the tip/emitter, you will see that the blade has been roughly hacked off.

This shared stunt was used in all three OT SW films. It was used as a practice saber in ANH, then used by luke in ESB and then Vader in rotj. But only as a stunt dueling saber.

This saber has been incorrectly labeled by LFL for years, and due to that has caused incorrect information to be found in many reference books and traveling exhibits. Also MR made a replica of this saber unaware that it was not actually the hero ROTJ saber.
Oops.

Thanks, A wealth of knowledge you are, uh huh! I see your point they did have quite a lot of stunt sabers for dueling purposes.
I have 3 Icons lightsaber replicas (Vader ANH, Skywalker ANH, Obi-wan ANH) and Luke's ROTJ saber from a no name maker but great detail.
I had made replicas of Luke's ESB and Vader's ESB but sold them off. So I did some research or as much as the web will let me to make them as close as possible, it was fun to say the least.

The Vader bust is way better than new Sideshow one, no comparaison for me !

Cant get enough of these kind of pics. Good stuff

Nothing special, just normal air condition in the summer and heat in the winter.
We usually keep the house at approx 72 degrees year round, but not because of the props, just for our own comfort.

Here's a new one.

thumb9.jpg

Simply amazing work, Gino. I'm speechless. :monkey5

Your work is so amazing. What you've made is what I want from licensed collectible company.

Thanks guys.

It could be a lot closer if they wanted it to be.

oh come on..... if it was closer (lets say.. as close as yours) there'd be no need for us to go buy their newer closer model :p

Hmmm. I sure hope that is not their mindset.

I feel like it is more about the egos of the people in those development positions not wanting to bring in outside talent to do the job they were hired to do in the first place (even when they know that talent would do a better job resulting in a better end product).

Just a thought.

Gino, I had always wondered and may have been covered in a previous discusion elsewhere... knowing the Vader helmes were just painted and polished, NOT clear coated, what did they use? Was it an automotive Laquer or an automotive acrylic enamel? Just curious.

Hard to say.
For that time period both were very prevalent.
Because gunmetal paints back then were mostly automotive, I'd lean towards them being lacquer based.
The glossy painted pieces like vader and royal guard, were not even wet sanded. You can still see the orange peel in the paint.
But they were hand polished nonetheless, which gives a very high gloss, but with an uneven surface. Hope that makes sense.

Here's a pic of Vader and Irvin Kirshner on the set of ESB.
You can see it is high gloss, and yet still has orange peel in the paint.
Just goes to show, the paint jobs were not top shelf. But still damn glossy.

orangepeel.jpg

Love all your stuff, but that Yoda is perfect! No CGI will ever be able to match the warmth of an actual prop.

Back