My introductory to the wonderful world of 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DX12

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey fellow 1/6 collectors

I have a long story to share, hopefully an entertaining one.

I am a long time avid reader and this is my first ever post.
I am a huge Macross collector, however I just so happened to search around and came across a 1/6 scale figure that changed my hobby life.
Enterbay's Leon, the Professional - Easily my all time favorite movie and surprisingly so life like I couldn't believe something so accurate could be made into a display piece. I had to have him. At that time I received him for about $250 which was about the same cost as my Macross collection. Thus the price didn't really scare me off yet until I saw some of the older HT collections on ebay. After receiving him as my first 1/6 scale and being a newbie in the 1/6 world, I started doing a bit of research and came across names like Hot Toys, Enterbay, DX, Kato, Yulli, Kojun, Customs, Sideshow etc.

After a short while Hot Toys released Babyface and I caved in cuz I was a sucker for Sucker Punch. Thanks to this forum and all the great members here who shared insight on the side parted hair issue. Would have gotten the middle one and regretted it. This forum got me really into Hot Toys and I did research on that company. Interesting enough I remember actually visiting Toy Hunters way back in the day before they became so popular.

I remember going to Hong Kong about 6 years ago and checking out CTMA center where Toy Hunters had a few Predators and lots of military figures on display. At that time 1/6 scale figures was not my kind of thing. I appreciated the effort but they were no where near the level the accuracy produced now. Looking back I remembered a few Asian hobby enthusiasts were sitting together sculpting and painting head sculpts in the store. They were quiet and very focused on their project. Little did I know that looking back, those guys may have been important members in the development for Hot Toys. Correct me if I am wrong but how famous was Hot Toys 6 years ago?

My favorite Hot Toy would definitely be Nolan's Batman. However, I joined into the world of 1/6 too late and all of them were way above the price range I was willing to pay. Always wanted one but never got one until now =).

The DX12 - Finally!!! Got one for a reasonable price, so happy with it. Yeah he's got thunder thighs. Yeah Bruce Wayne seems a little too tanned for some one who never left his mansion in years. Yeah those eyes are definitely way too cartoony. However I can live with all of those faults cuz he's BATMAN. A HOT TOYS BATMAN. Oh tears almost came running down my cheeks as I finally can experience opening a DX box. I'll never forget:
The textured box compared to the cheaper slick ones from the MMS line.
The foam casing over the figure as opposed to the plastic shell.
The oooh and ahhh as I gazed over him secured and well protected.
The fresh new car smell coming out Mmmmmm...Brand New
Sighhhh.......Gotta cherish that moment,....at that time I could just go off to Heaven. Not now since Joker V2, Bane, Catwoman, Gordon - All these guys are now in my hit list. After that maybe I can go off to heaven. Until then I cannot and will not die! Thus this wonderful experience has led me to pick DX12 as my SSC name.

OK..Fast forward to last week. I finally got a chance to go back to Hong Kong the promised land for 1/6. I got a chance to visit Toy Hunters. Boy have they changed! For those who are looking forward to visiting HK for 1/6 items read below for my review.

Toy Hunters
Everything new or Avengers/Batman related items already released are not available. Interesting enough Hot Toys' flagship store does not carry instock items of new releases. As far as I am told they get sold from day one and preorders are a must. I saw the prototypes on display in front of the store. Inside I would say is moderate in size not that large and any boxes you see are not for sale. I saw Bane on the shelf and was interested in the price. There was a price sticker for the City Hunter but not on Bane. So I decided to pick up the box and check on the back. Big Mistake! This cute little girl comes up to me with a vengeance and asks if I needed help. Her eyes in cold stare and a sweat drop drops down from the side of her face. Geez girl - Relax, I just wanted to check out the price. This isn't a Hermes bag or a Picasso, it's just a toy I thought to myself. Granted a very expensive one but it's just plastic. I told her I was interested in purchasing it. Suddenly a smirk comes out of her and she tells me it was completely sold out from day one. +1 for cockiness for their staff in my books. I carefully laid the box back thinking why they didn't just place these items behind glass or the counter with white gloves for handling if they were so paranoid about it. Being Japanese I learned to smile to my enemies and think up sarcastic insults in my mind as I walked away feeling so ****ty on how I was treated.
Lessoned learned:
1 - If you think you can purchase a new or recent 1/6 item from them, think again unless you preorder. Plenty of City Hunters if you want one.
2 - Don't ever touch any thing. All staff members have their eyes on you and are trained to reach you in 1.2 seconds flat with a "Can I help you with anything?" in Cantonese.
3 - If you are expecting any awesome displays, your better off visiting one of their toy fair events.
4 - Don't expect much for a Hot Toys flagship store. You'll set yourself up for disappointment.

Enterbay
Found they place by chance. Now this is a real store. From the exterior of the store you already can tell it is an official store of Enterbay. Entering in you have all their items on display old and new. All physical boxes are stored behind their counter. Some one there obviously knows if you don't want people touching things then don't place them where they are so inviting to do so. The staff welcomed me with a friendly greet, gave me space and had no signs of arrogance. All items on the right wall are available for purchase while the left are retired ones for display purposes. Definitely a must visit for 1/6 fans. Too bad the company has too many problems with QC issues.
Lesson learned:
1 - You can easily purchase newly or recent released items right there and then with the exception of Michael Jordan #45.
2 - All new items have a price tag indicated on the display so you can freely price shop without troubling the staff.
3 - Definitely lives up to be the physical store of a 1/6 company.

In's Point Center
Forget Toy Hunters or CMTA center in general if you are hunting for 1/6 items. Check out Enterbay if you have time. However you must go to In's Point Center in Mong Kok. This center has 3 levels of just toys, toys, toys with a resaurant on the 4th level. This place is definitely toy heaven. Saint Seiya, Macross, Gundam, Hot Toys, Customs, Military gear. Awesome place! Prices vary from store to store but there is one major problem for 1/6 collectors. From my vist all the good stores that sell the 1/6 goodies save one, were all closed. I read somewhere that they opened much later but I was shopping till 6:30pm and still closed on a Friday. I was drooling as I saw a display of Kato's Bruce Wayne suit on display. Too bad the store was closed, I guess he didn't want to make easy money. I saw a store that appears to have a huge Headplay collection that was also closed.
Lesson learned:
1 - If you have only a short time to visit HK for 1/6 items gathered all in one place - This is the place.
2 - Depending on lady luck the 1/6 stores may not open on your visit there but it would be safer to visit after 6:00pm if you do. Most stores didn't open until 3:00pm when I first visited.
3 - Bring lots of cash, cuz chances are you will see something you want. They had lots of older, rarer HTs for sale and cash is the only currency worthy to haggle with a HKer. If he/she won't bend for a discount offer to buy 2/3 other items or walk away. Too many competition in that place, you'll find what you are looking for hidden somewhere else.
4 - For backpack travellers, don't bring a sack or a backpack. The stores are small and cramped with toys. You will have a tough time moving in there.

That's about it for my story. Everything that I have shared is what happened to me personally and not meant to discourage or offend others. I hope some information was useful or entertaining. I'd like to thank all of you guys for sharing your opinions and thoughts on this forum. Everyday I learn a lot from you guys whether they are negative or positive feedbacks. All feedbacks must be considered before making a decision to purchase expensive collectibles.

For any members based on Vancouver, please give me a shout out as I am very interested in knowing how you fellas end up obtaining your 1/6 items reasonably without getting hit up on duties and taxes up here.

Thank you Hot Toys and Enterbay for giving me another reason to eat instant ramen from time to time.
Thank you Sideshowcollectors for providing a home for us to share information with each other as I eat my instant ramen late at night.

Cheers
Haru

wavesmile.gif
:welcome1: to the :FREAK: Show! :duff
wavesmile.gif

Back