My first proper collectable piece turned up damaged

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats ! 25% is amazing. Just take your time and be patient. With statues and fine details breakages are part of the game.

Amazon said the seller wasn't obligated to refund the return shipping and when I looked in to it, it was going to cost quite a lot so I wanted to avoid returning it. They offered me a 10% refund and I said no way. I managed to get 25% refunded back to my card. Just need to try and fix it now. Don't really know what I'm doing though ha

Look at it this way: this will be your chance to learn. Who knows....maybe you'll discover a new hobby of sculpting and painting. :)

Awesome by the way that they credited you 25%.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about colour matching, it is very difficult... I'd just use the correct colour and keep on going all over the rest of it ;)

Amazon said the seller wasn't obligated to refund the return shipping and when I looked in to it, it was going to cost quite a lot so I wanted to avoid returning it. They offered me a 10% refund and I said no way. I managed to get 25% refunded back to my card. Just need to try and fix it now. Don't really know what I'm doing though ha

Good for you. When I get offered 10% I feel insulted and they can keep the broken statue. 20% or more for me if I even consider keeping it.

When I actually removed it from the packaging completely two of the dreadlocks had also snapped off. Stuck them back on though.

The quills were harder than I thought they would be. I could line them up perfectly but then when there was glue on it, I just couldn't get it right. It took a few goes and it's not perfect. There's a slight bit of glue visible on one, it's too dark to get a picture though. Could I just paint the entire quill black so there's no colour difference where the glue has seeped out?

Now the tricky part, this is how the tooth looks when I push it back in. Should I sand off the cracked bits that are visible around the edge? Put an arrow on the picture to show which part I mean. I'm terrible at things like this. I just don't have the patience for it.

20140228_181558.jpg

20140228_181629.jpg

How does it look from the top ? I.e. is it visible from other angles ? This is a straight on shot so its clear. Maybe from top it isn't so obvious.

first make sure you are going to glue the tooth back into the correct position, then see how visible the damage is. Before going nuts with sanding, i would mix up paint trying to get the tan-grey-brown-white-yellow color of the base of the tooth and apply it to the white chipped area. see how it looks. hopegully that will be close enough it will blend right in. Test the paint mixture on a scrap piece of paper before applying it to the statue, let it dry and hold it up next to the tooth . if it looks good glue it correctly back into place, and put this thing on your shelf and buy something nice like a ice cream sundae with your 25% refund.

A tip for future reference.
As Bezzerkerr said about the glue spilling out, if you need to glue small objects apply with a cocktail stick instead of directly from the tube.

Good luck with the tusk, shouldn't look too bad when inserted.

Broken dreads are very common. I still need to fix two on my P2 bust.

Thanks for the advice guys. This is how it looks from other angles. I have zero experience with mixing paint so I'll probably have to try and find someone that knows what they're doing to help me do it.

20140228_195326.jpg

20140228_195339.jpg

Search the box and polystyrene inserts for the missing piece.
If you're lucky it will be one piece you can glue back.

Tiny bit of putty and a close paint match will sort that.
Shouldn't be too noticable.

You want to feel content with the repair.
If you're fine with the way it looks now, consider it done.
Those chips of paint would drive me crazy though. I advise you find someone with the experience to repair this. There might be someone close to you. It won't hurt to at least ask around.

Just play around and have fun with it, fortunately it isn't in a too obvious place. You may need a little filler though just to smooth things out a bit. Use everything sparingly.

wonder of this is the same amazon shop I bought mine from. It was also damaged. I asked for a replacement and they said they checked the remaining 3 and they were also damaged. I got a 100 pound refund. Crappy sellers if they sold this knowing it was broken.

wonder of this is the same amazon shop I bought mine from. It was also damaged. I asked for a replacement and they said they checked the remaining 3 and they were also damaged. I got a 100 pound refund. Crappy sellers if they sold this knowing it was broken.
Company was called 'Collectables' from Netherlands.

Lots of missing quills and paint chips mostly, My first was damaged direct from SS, my second wasn't perfect but I kept it so as not to be a pain (silly me) It is sad that we expect such things really. The P2 lsb had a heck of a lot more breakages than the P1 from what I saw, especially the dreads.

Back