My first attempt at skin tone

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc1

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie here. Thanks so everyone who has given me help so far. So here I tried to do my first skin tone on an extra dragon head. To me it reads really pink but I'm not sure if it translates the same way on the screen. I don't feel that I got enough contrast in the skin tone. So I primed the head, applied a base coat, used brown-red pastel, dull-cote, more pastel brown-red, dull-cote then another wash.

If anyone can offer advice on where to go from here I would really appreciate it.

J

It really reads pink like sunburn in real life. I have to figure out how to tone it down a bit

You should go ahead a finish the paint job, add eyes, hair and such, sometimes a skin tone alone does not help.

If you finished painting and the sculpt still doesn't feel right, then you'll know what to tweak.

Don't go half way through and turn back, you need to finish the entire work to appreciate the results, good or bad.

You should go ahead a finish the paint job, add eyes, hair and such, sometimes a skin tone alone does not help.

If you finished painting and the sculpt still doesn't feel right, then you'll know what to tweak.

Don't go half way through and turn back, you need to finish the entire work to appreciate the results, good or bad.

Thanks I am going to do just that. I appreciate the input

Cool. I am still having trouble getting the pastels to stick. Any advice?

Also you can add blue a very tiny amount to the skin tone.
Also give it a wash with the original flesh colour until you have the desired result.
But as people have said block the hair in and white's of the eyes and then you can add what ever you need or leave it as it is.
Also remember the white's of the eyes are not actually white so you can add a very small amount of grey and raw sienna to it

Good to know. I still haven't figured out how to keep the pastel chalk to adhere to the paint surface. It seems that when I apply it it doesn't leave any color. What am I not doing correctly?

Agreed with the others... it's hard to accurately judge the skin tones until you've got the contrast with the hair and other parts. I'm always much happier with the skin tone after I've applied the flat clear coat and even moreso once the eyebrows and hair line is done.

And having said all of that, what I see in your work looks very good. Nice variations in the skin tones and a very smooth application... you may not need to send me that second head :lol

Agreed with the others... it's hard to accurately judge the skin tones until you've got the contrast with the hair and other parts. I'm always much happier with the skin tone after I've applied the flat clear coat and even moreso once the eyebrows and hair line is done.

And having said all of that, what I see in your work looks very good. Nice variations in the skin tones and a very smooth application... you may not need to send me that second head :lol

LOL Will still be doing that! I want quality for my figures. I have a ways to go. Still its a fun process and your work among others is a definite inspiration

Good to know. I still haven't figured out how to keep the pastel chalk to adhere to the paint surface. It seems that when I apply it it doesn't leave any color. What am I not doing correctly?

Do you mean leaves no colour once you have sealed the work?
Or when putting them on?
As sometimes the pastels go lighter than they look when sealed so you may need to go darker.
I have tried lot's of different pastels and some just disolved once laquered.
Practice makes perfect though buddy just keep at it.

you can also try using a different brush i find some pastels work better with a softer brush and other work getting with a harder brush

depending on what look you are going for sometimes adding a tiny bit of water can help but try this on a piece of paper or something like that before hand just to see what it will come out like

Thanks for all the great feedback. I've been trying and it seems at least for me a stiffer brush works better for the pastels. Now I have to just practice the actual technique so that my heads don't look like my 6 year old daughter applied makeup lol

Back