My Aragorn review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know I'm kind of glad I was off line the entire time Aragorn started showing up, I missed out on all the bellyaching on various sites. I got mine in the mail unexpectedly a few weeks ago and thought he looked great and was a solid value.
The head sculpt looks off and is too asymmetrical but those are problems I saw when Sideshow first showed pictures of the prototype.
The paint could be a bit better too but it's satisfactory for me.
Edit: I thought I should say something about Michael's review. I agree with certain parts but overall I feel more satisfied with the figure. I would've especially given the highest score to the costuming which I think looks great even with the lack of extensive weathering on the coat.

Last edited:
Does anyone think that all the bad press this thing is getting has prevented Sideshow from placing up actual shots of the figure on it's site and instead leaving up the proto pics?

wofford29 said:
Does anyone think that all the bad press this thing is getting has prevented Sideshow from placing up actual shots of the figure on it's site and instead leaving up the proto pics?

No. What bad press? A bunch of fanboys b!tching in a Freak forum does not constitute "bad press." The general public, myself included, were and are satisfied with the final product. It's the truly hard-core, everything must be perfect folks who are up in arms over this figure, and they are few enough that it really doesn't affect Sideshow's numbers. I'm not saying we aren;t the core consumers. We are. But we have little real power.

Sideshow has long been mired by baseless accusations of corruption. A few dissenting fans on a few sites really won't create an uproar, yet to have a company that still takes heed of it's fanbase (Han's eyes, Plo's lightsaber, etc. ) is, in truth, more than remarkable--it's downright incredible. No wonder I love SSC so much!

Captain Aldeggon said:
Sideshow has long been mired by baseless accusations of corruption. A few dissenting fans on a few sites really won't create an uproar, yet to have a company that still takes heed of it's fanbase (Han's eyes, Plo's lightsaber, etc. ) is, in truth, more than remarkable--it's downright incredible. No wonder I love SSC so much!

I agree. That's the thing about some folks over at RS dealing with the SW line. They act like the line will fail beause they say so. Which is just funny. So the LOTR line is the same of course just because a "few" have had issues the line will be fine. It seems that a good deal of those that said they didn't like it or had problems all of a sudden did like it when they got theirs.

Time to disagree. First, readers of sites like Freaks and RS make up the buying population of Sideshow product. They are a company that has tapped the Internet collecting market extremely well through the use of the affiliate program, and even the stuff they don't sell through affilliates sells through online stores.

Key to all this is the limited edition sizes. They aren't trying to sell 20k or 30k of something, which is a small number for even a basic mass market item. Instead they are trying to a few thousand of each - they have an edition size of Boromir of only 2k, and haven't sold out yet.

The majority of Sideshow's customers read websites like this one, mine, RS, OSW, statuesforum, etc. etc. etc. to get their news and reviews. This isn't Mattel we're talking about (which, btw, is far more dependent on Internet sites than they want anyone to believe, or which they are willing to admit), with a million customers floating around out there, but rather a company dependent on the net for their limited customer base. Great reviews of Aragorn could have driven Boromir sales - poor ones aren't going to help. So yes, the things said here and at other sites do have a big impact on Sideshow's business. Sideshow is smart enough to know it too, and that's why they are so receptive to fan input.

BTW, I think a whole lot of people are being way harder on Aragorn than he deserves. He's not a perfect figure, but he's a decent start to the series. I should right a feature article on it - I call it Crawford's Hierarchy of Whines. Ever hear of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs? Maslow said there was a series of human needs, starting with basic survival items like food and shelter, and moving up the hierarchy to self fulfillment. As one need was fulfilled in a society, the next one took on a new and greater importance. My Hierarchy of Whines is based on the same theory. When all the figures you're getting look like warmed over road kill, you whine about sculpts that don't look human (I'm not kidding here - anyone remember the balloon head Catwoman from Hasbro?) and paint that was applied by a spastic monkey. As things improve overall, we whine about more and more specific details, until we reach a point in the hierarchy where we expect the figure to look like it just stepped off the screen. Aragorn is caught in that process.

Michael Crawford said:
First, readers of sites like Freaks and RS make up the buying population of Sideshow product. They are a company that has tapped the Internet collecting market extremely well through the use of the affiliate program, and even the stuff they don't sell through affilliates sells through online stores.

The majority of Sideshow's customers read websites like this one, mine, RS, OSW, statuesforum, etc. etc. etc. to get their news and reviews.

I agree that SS is a very smart company run by some of the most awesome people I've ever met. They make the best products out their that's why I'm a fanboy of the stuff they make because of as a fan of LOTR and SW they bring those to life in collectible form. This is why I said what I said during the little interview I did that played in the SDCC rap up videos. They truly know how to tap into what the fanbase wants overall. Which is why they are truly one of the most successful collectibles companies around right now.

However, The impact of a few unhappy folks on message boards is very little. If every reader on a message board was against a figure then yes I would agree. That's never been the case and so I think the impact a few unhappy message board fans have is minimal at best. I agree with the fact that the whole internet community has a huge impact on SS but a few fans here and there won't. I think reviews like yours and mine have a small impact as well how much I wouldn't go giving myself enough credit to say I have a HUGE impact on SS sales.

So yes I agree the Internet plays a big role OVERALL but a few unhappy fans have small impact IMO.

I was one of the those "unhappy folks", "whiners", "*****ing fanboys", I'll admit. The production photos looked very different from the prototype pics, as well as from the figure displayed at SDCC. So the "whining" was justified.

I was "satisfied" with the figure once I received it and set it up. But many others continue not to be and I will not dismiss their reasons, either. As a matter of fact, I still agree with those same issues (headsculpt, paint apps, weathering, etc.) BUT to ME they are not as big of an issue as I thought they would be. As I mentioned before, I guess I was initially expecting a 10 of 10, then the pics started arriving and I expected a 6 of 10 and finally, upon receiving the figure, I was happy with the 8/9 of 10.

I think Michael Crawford made an excellent point regarding sales of other figures in the line being affected by Aragorn. I'll go one further and say that there is certainly a significant amount of people (based on posts made) that cancelled their Aragorns and inturn cancelled the rest of their preordered LOTR 12" figs because of how Aragorn looked in the pictures being posted in the different forums. Personally, I think that was a mistake, as the figure looks MUCH better in hand than has been captured in photos so far. But I respect their decisions as well.

jlcmsu said:
So yes I agree the Internet plays a big role OVERALL but a few unhappy fans have small impact IMO.

Then you're pretty much going against thousands of years of business experience in the human race. Vocal customers ALWAYS have an effect, either positive or negative.

The number one way to tell if a product or business will succeed is to see how many passionate people there are on the positive side. If everyone just likes a product, it's bound to fail. Passionate supporters are what make a company successful, and there are many books written on how to get those 'raving fans'.

Likewise, the entire point of customer service from it's very inception is much more than making a single customer happy so they'll come back - it's to make sure they don't complain louder to 12 of their friends. The Internet has made this even worse for companies, because before a vocal pissed off customer could only tell those 12 friends - now, through websites and blogs, they can tell thousands.

Fortunately for Sideshow, they're smart and savvy enough to know that's true, and go out of their way to do what they can to mitigate the issue.

FlyAndFight said:
I was one of the those "unhappy folks", "whiners", "*****ing fanboys", I'll admit. The production photos looked very different from the prototype pics, as well as from the figure displayed at SDCC. So the "whining" was justified.

I'm not saying folks asking questions wasn't justified. Everyone has the right to question.

FlyAndFight said:
I was "satisfied" with the figure once I received it and set it up. But many others continue not to be and I will not dismiss their reasons, either. As a matter of fact, I still agree with those same issues (headsculpt, paint apps, weathering, etc.) BUT to ME they are not as big of an issue as I thought they would be. As I mentioned before, I guess I was initially expecting a 10 of 10, then the pics started arriving and I expected a 6 of 10 and finally, upon receiving the figure, I was happy with the 8/9 of 10.

I'm not dismissing them. They have the right to make thier opinions heard. I agree with the weathering but that's about it.

FlyAndFight said:
I think Michael Crawford made an excellent point regarding sales of other figures in the line being affected by Aragorn. I'll go one further and say that there is certainly a significant amount of people (based on posts made) that cancelled their Aragorns and inturn cancelled the rest of their preordered LOTR 12" figs because of how Aragorn looked in the pictures being posted in the different forums. Personally, I think that was a mistake, as the figure looks MUCH better in hand than has been captured in photos so far. But I respect their decisions as well.

I think their was some that did but a decent amount? Nah, I don't think so. Again, a few people here does not constitute a majority. If they cancled Aragorn because of the first few bad pics and did the same then they over reacted. It's their right I agree a mistake but their right.

Michael Crawford said:
Then you're pretty much going against thousands of years of business experience in the human race. Vocal customers ALWAYS have an effect, either positive or negative.

I didn't say they didn't have an effect did I? No. I said their imapct is minor at best. Why? Because the overall outlook is that folks are happy and SS is doing a great job of listenting to every to make sure things stay that way.

Michael Crawford said:
The number one way to tell if a product or business will succeed is to see how many passionate people there are on the positive side. If everyone just likes a product, it's bound to fail. Passionate supporters are what make a company successful, and there are many books written on how to get those 'raving fans'.

I agree you need folks who like your products but are passionate about them as well. I think SS has folks who are truly passionate about how good they are more so than the other way around. SS balances it out quiet well.

Michael Crawford said:
Likewise, the entire point of customer service from it's very inception is much more than making a single customer happy so they'll come back - it's to make sure they don't complain louder to 12 of their friends. The Internet has made this even worse for companies, because before a vocal pissed off customer could only tell those 12 friends - now, through websites and blogs, they can tell thousands.

I agree. SS does a great job at this and to make sure the happy passionate fans can go to boards like this and praise them. Which is why things balance out.

Michael Crawford said:
Fortunately for Sideshow, they're smart and savvy enough to know that's true, and go out of their way to do what they can to mitigate the issue.

I agree.

I think there is a difference between the reactions collectors are having between the pictures from Hong Kong, etc and when they are in hand. The majority of whining (as is always the case) comes from the crummy first pictures that throws people into a tizzy.

But in hand, the case is much different. Once people have gotten Aragorn the tone is much different. Like Fly and Flight said, some had these 6/10 fears but in reality got a very solid figure. And I for one after getting Aragorn, decided to jump on the waitlists to try and get the ex of Boromir and Legolas figures I had previously passed on.

BTW, I love the Maslow hierarchy... and the article about whining would be awesome! Although w/Maslow you are moving towards self-actualization... would that in your pyramid be some kind of ultra-whine... or the oposite that the non-whiner is at the top?

My girlfriend and I both just started working in mental health, I think she is going to get a kick out of reading this thread!:rotfl

Seaward said:
My girlfriend and I both just started working in mental health, I think she is going to get a kick out of reading this thread!:rotfl

She should get a kick out of this board. We're all a little nuts.

I don't know where this "majority of the people" think this is a good figure statements are coming from. If you read this board, the osw board, the statue board, and even the spawn boards, you'll quickly notice that the majority of people are unhappy with this product. I myself would give it a 6/10 and that's soley based on the outfit. I've got my head sent off for a pro to repaint and see if that makes a difference but I doubt it'll lift my opinions over a 7/10.

Greetings all, this is my first post on this board. Ive lurked for years over at OSW. Thought id put my opinion on this thread. Im one of those who seen the first set of pics posted and thought " what a pc. of crap", fully expecting to return mine when I got it. When I opened it I was very happy with it. There were a couple differences as people have said, but I thought it was very close to the pics I seen on SST website. IMHO the headsculpt looks more like Aragorn than the one that is posted on the box. The lack of the weathering doesnt bother me in the least. What amazes me is that ive heard many times people complaining cause a prototype was weathered, they say that they'd rather do it themselves and here they have there chance. The biggest problem I see is that the boots are not as cool as the ones in the prototype, but I can deal with that. I rate this fig. 8.5 to 9. The LOTR trilogy are my favorite movies and im very psyched to collect this line.

Welcome Hood...

I think you echo pretty common sentiments... sure there are people that are unhappy with him. But I've noticed (at least on this board) that once in hand the opinions have overall been more positive. Which again is the common pattern for these releases. Maybe we're just easier to please, but I don't think thats the case :lol

I too suffered from CLS or Chicken Little Syndrome when the first shots were posted, and overall, I was still positive, but the figure was certainly different from the prototype and the SDCC images, but I was beyond pleased when the figure arrived and I got to see it up close. Welcome to the board!!!:chew

Back