Museum Replicas Captain America Shields

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I have seen these pics. This thing has way too many imperfections in the finish for the amount of money they charge. Now I don't feel deprived for not being able to afford one. For $400, I would like one made out of the same material that they make the U.S. Army Kevlar helmets out of, so that it is bulletproof.

The imperfections are not that noticeable but seem amplified with close up pics. These shields are the one thing that MR has done impressively well with the Marvel license IMO.

what's wrong with the 60's paint app?

It's not really the paint so much as what is under it. Lots of valleys and ripples in it. You can see what almost looks like the texture of fiberglass underneath the paint. Yes, it is very shiny, but it looks like a car that has had bodywork done, that had the primer and the putty or filler shrink down so that it leaves a ripply texture, like rippling water. I honestly don't see too much orange peel in the paint, so the PAINT is actually pretty well done. The surface should look perfectly smooth, with no little dents whatsoever. It looks like it has too many little shiny smooth polished dents in it. The only way to fix it would be to sand all of the paint off, and coat most of the surface with either all metal filler if it is more than a fingernail deep, or body putty, and sand the whole thing down smooth with wet and dry sandpaper, preferably down to 800 grit , and then re prime and repaint. Of course, when you paint, you will want to get the paint thick enough to color sand with 1200 grit, then 1500, and then 2000 grit. Ideally, going to 2500 or 3000 grit would be the best, for a perfect mirror finish. I have done auto body and paint work before, so I know about how do do this.

The imperfections are not that noticeable but seem amplified with close up pics. These shields are the one thing that MR has done impressively well with the Marvel license IMO.

From 15 feet away in normal lighting, you probably don't notice the imperfections much. Personally, I like to get up really close to things and really look at them, and feel how perfect and smooth they are, in order to really appreciate them. This is especially true of anything like a car, or something painted with shiny paint that is supposed to be really smooth. If Captain America's shield had imperfections in it, it would affect how it flies and deflects bullets.

I don't notice any imperfections in mine but then again I'm not really trained to look that closely at them. As a display piece it'll be fine IMHO.

So long as it looks good to me and the casual observer I'm cool. But I can see how if you have an eye for that stuff it can really bring it down.

So long as it looks good to me and the casual observer I'm cool. But I can see how if you have an eye for that stuff it can really bring it down.

Overall, it does look really cool. The painting of the star and stripes is very crisp, and the overall shape of the shield is correct, with a nice shine to it. From a distance, it is a pretty cool display. I'd like to have one, but not for more than $75 to $150. They could have made the overall shape a LOT better, with a perfectly smooth finish, if only they used a turntable, or a bicycle wheel and a foam block and sandpaper to sand it with. All they would have had to have done is spin it and gently hold to sandpaper against it, and it would be as perfect as if it had been lathe turned. I suppose the idea never occurred to them. Once they got the overall shape sanded like that,and applied the paint, it would have been absolutely perfect in the cosmetic sense. If they had finished it like this, not only would it have been better, it also would have been a lot easier than whatever they did to get the results they have now.

Last edited:
I just got my 1940's Version Sheild. Its aweful. I can see the stencil marks for the stars. The paint is all tacky in spots, theres dents in it. I couldn't believe it. I wouldn't pay more then $50 for this thing. This is my 1st MR product and my last. I was interested in the 300 stuff, but never again. And for $350, I could make a better version if I were still in High School and had Metal Shop. Beware!

I just got my 1940's Version Sheild. Its aweful. I can see the stencil marks for the stars. The paint is all tacky in spots, theres dents in it. I couldn't believe it. I wouldn't pay more then $50 for this thing. This is my 1st MR product and my last. I was interested in the 300 stuff, but never again. And for $350, I could make a better version if I were still in High School and had Metal Shop. Beware!

I'm sad to here that. Of either version, this was the one I had some interest in. Thanks for the update.

I've heard that the MR stuff is really touch and go. I've heard of some really great ones and some really funky ones all in the same run.

Yeah I have one on order from Razor's Edge but haven't heard from them yet.

that sucks man. can you post some pics??? i have one on order through a vendor and now i'm gonna cancel first thing in the morning.

Yeah I have one on order from Razor's Edge but haven't heard from them yet.

We better get pics! I'm looking forward to seeing it displayed. I know the 40's version isn't the "iconic" Captain look, but I think that shield is amazing in design. That's how I have my Captain. PF EX. displayed. :rock

Wow this is a massive let down, I had the 40's on order to.

Those who got it, would you go back and cancel your order?

Here are some pics. The stencil marks and dents are hard to make out in the pics. From far away It looks good but for $350 I expected more. Hopefully mine was just a bad one.

Rough Paint near Top.
sh1mv7.jpg

Up close you can see the stencil traces. And the stars have "rough" edges from the stencil procedure. I don't like that craftsmanship.
sh3zv0.jpg

The whole shield. Again $350. This is what I got.
sh21be5.jpg

Back