Mounting a standing figure on a base

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natedog

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking for some help on mounting a standing figure in a diorama. Some figures don't stand too well on there own so I've been thinking about how to go about this.

Tought about:
Magnets
Pins
Glue

I'd like to be able to change the location of the figure from time to time for a different look. I like the magnet idea, but that would mean either putting a magnet or a piece of steel inside the boot. Or at least on the bottom of the boot.

Any help would be appreciated.

thx

If it helps, I will be mounting a Princess Leia in Boushh disguise. I'm mounting it on a 1/8" thick MDF that will be covered in sand. I'm sure the boots come off. I've tried but didn't pull too hard as I don't want to break anything. I'm assuming the boots are 1 piece, that is there is no foot inside.

My build thread is here:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129355

A fellow boardie turned me on to this stuff called quakehold gel. Theirs a few different variations of it so you should be able to find something that'll work with your dio. It's cheap, reusable and a bottle should last awhile. You can use it for your other figure as well. I never use stands and with this stuff I don't have to worry about them taking a dive out of my cabinet. That dio is amazing by the way. Puts sideshows to shame. If you ever want to sell one in the future let me know. Here's a link:

https://www.quakehold.com/safety-du...ess-safety-furniture-straps-collectibles.html

A fellow boardie turned me on to this stuff called quakehold gel. Theirs a few different variations of it so you should be able to find something that'll work with your dio. It's cheap, reusable and a bottle should last awhile. You can use it for your other figure as well. I never use stands and with this stuff I don't have to worry about them taking a dive out of my cabinet. That dio is amazing by the way. Puts sideshows to shame. If you ever want to sell one in the future let me know. Here's a link:

https://www.quakehold.com/safety-du...ess-safety-furniture-straps-collectibles.html

How does this stuff work? Is it like glue? I'd love to display my Hot Toys without their stands, but wouldn't want to damage the plastic/paint or stick them permanently to the surface of the base.

How does this stuff work? Is it like glue? I'd love to display my Hot Toys without their stands, but wouldn't want to damage the plastic/paint or stick them permanently to the surface of the base.

Yeah in a way. Basically you put it on the feet and set the pose you want. And it doesn't take much. If you want to switch it up you just kind of twist and pull up. Do it gently of course (like everything in this hobby). It's reusable too so you can put it back in the container if you want to stop using it for whatever reason. It hasn't left any residue on my figures or display cabinet, which is glass like most. I think theirs a few different kinds for different surfaces. I got a 4oz bottle for like $10-$15 bucks on eBay or amazon, but I think Home Depot and Lowes sell it too. I'd defiantly check it out though man. It's relatively inexpensive too so if you don't like it your not taking a big risk.

Yeah in a way. Basically you put it on the feet and set the pose you want. And it doesn't take much. If you want to switch it up you just kind of twist and pull up. Do it gently of course (like everything in this hobby). It's reusable too so you can put it back in the container if you want to stop using it for whatever reason. It hasn't left any residue on my figures or display cabinet, which is glass like most. I think theirs a few different kinds for different surfaces. I got a 4oz bottle for like $10-$15 bucks on eBay or amazon, but I think Home Depot and Lowes sell it too. I'd defiantly check it out though man. It's relatively inexpensive too so if you don't like it your not taking a big risk.

Thanks man, you're a legend! Always wanted to display these things without the stupid crotch grabber so it looks more natural (like a statue). I basically just want to stick the figures to their bases, but didn't want to ruin the paint on the base. I think I'll test it on one figure first, then if it's ok I'll do it on the others.

I noticed they got a few of them. Which one do you use?

Thanks! I'll give that stuff a try

Thanks man, you're a legend! Always wanted to display these things without the stupid crotch grabber so it looks more natural (like a statue). I basically just want to stick the figures to their bases, but didn't want to ruin the paint on the base. I think I'll test it on one figure first, then if it's ok I'll do it on the others.

I noticed they got a few of them. Which one do you use?

No worries brother. I'm just passing along the word like it was passed to me. Right now I have the clear quakehold gel but I don't have any attached to the bases right now, just attached to the glass in my display. But I just bought some of this kind:
https://www.quakehold.com/safety-du...-safety-furniture-straps-QHputtydetailQH.html
I would personally go for the museum putty if your attaching them to bases or dioramas. It seems to be more versatile. I don't have it in hand yet but it says putty so I'm assuming it wouldn't be clear, which isn't a big deal if you can't see through the bottom of whatever there standing on. I went with the gel originally though so it wouldn't be that visible when there attached directly to my detolfs. I've started using more dios and bases now though so I think museum putty will be more efficient. It should be here any day now. I'll test it out when it does and snap some pics of what it looks like and some before and after pics to see if it leaves any residue, etc. I'll post them in here and let you know which one is better if you want to hold off on ordering it for a few days.

Back