more credit card fraud (possible fraud)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: alter ego comics (possible fraud)

It's Paypal or nothing for me anymore...

How ironic. I've dealt with CSC, Alter Ego and PayPal numerous times in the past, and the only merchant I've had problems with is PayPal.

BTW, what's with everyone using their Jump To Conclusions Mat on this one.?? One person has has fraudulent charges on his card after Alter Ego charges it, and it's AE's fault??

Never had a problem with AE, great group of guys there as far as I'm concerned... their customer service is top notch, they've even waived some of my cancellation charges which was totally unexpected and generous. They do accept Paypal now, which is what I'll be using from now on.

arent alterego and csc the same place? or am i thinking of something else.

Nope, you're wrong. They are 2 different vendors. Amazing Toys and CSC merged into CSC late last year.

I don't know much about the way this stuff works, but it seems to me that any site can be hacked. That's just one of the dangers of shopping on-line. Wasn't a major bank (or something) hacked not too long ago and alot of people got their numbers stolen? I know a couple people who got their magnetic strip copied while getting gas. And I heard about another scam where someone managed to get into a restaurant's computer and get people's cc info. It sucks, but I don't know that its fair to place blame on a company. Just my two cents...

Whats with all the collectibles websites getting attacked? >>>> sake they better not hit Toys2, I only gave them my new CC details the other day. And I have preorders on SS and BBTS.

Chances are higher the card number was gotten somewhere else, or the company that processes the cars is the one that got "hacked".

But anyway, good thing it happened to a credit card instead of debit.

There is no evidence that the mentioned retailer has anything to do with the OP's fraud charges on his credit card.

I've been dealing with this dealer for many years and just updated my card with them. I see no reason not to continue to do so.

i say credit card companies are the ones to blame, not the sites that get hacked. CC companies need to begin looking for better validation. half the transactions I do now dont require signatures or IDs or anything.

There is no evidence that the mentioned retailer has anything to do with the OP's fraud charges on his credit card.

I've been dealing with this dealer for many years and just updated my card with them. I see no reason not to continue to do so.

:lecture i agree...........until proven otherwise, their my 1st choice retailer

How ironic. I've dealt with CSC, Alter Ego and PayPal numerous times in the past, and the only merchant I've had problems with is PayPal.

BTW, what's with everyone using their Jump To Conclusions Mat on this one.?? One person has has fraudulent charges on his card after Alter Ego charges it, and it's AE's fault??

i'm weary to just call out AE as they are a great group of people that run that place, and I don't think they are really to blame, but somewhere along the road of getting my card processed for the bill, someone got my card info, but i'm going to try and work with my card company or alter ego to see if there is any way of figuring out what happened, which is probably doubtful. but one of the reasons I posted this was to see if anyone else got hit like this, because if this was just me, then I don't think there's anything to worry about with AEC and my card got hit some how else. does anyone know if there is a way to find out someone's info if I was able to get the email address they used to charge my card for the online purchases?

i say credit card companies are the ones to blame, not the sites that get hacked. CC companies need to begin looking for better validation. half the transactions I do now dont require signatures or IDs or anything.

I agree to some extent. But sites can do more. I signed up for VISA verification ages ago, but the only site that takes me to VISA's veritication page is were I get my DVD's. No other site has ever asked me to verify my card.

I agree to some extent. But sites can do more. I signed up for VISA verification ages ago, but the only site that takes me to VISA's veritication page is were I get my DVD's. No other site has ever asked me to verify my card.

100% with you over this. I have had four cards cancelled this year for fraud ; one of them were only ever used at FP.co.uk and two of them were only ever used to purchase collectibles online. I have yet to come across a website that uses the verified by visa system that sells statues.

However, unless your card is only ever used at one internet site I would be cautious about attributing blame.

I don't know much about the way this stuff works, but it seems to me that any site can be hacked. That's just one of the dangers of shopping on-line. Wasn't a major bank (or something) hacked not too long ago and alot of people got their numbers stolen? I know a couple people who got their magnetic strip copied while getting gas. And I heard about another scam where someone managed to get into a restaurant's computer and get people's cc info. It sucks, but I don't know that its fair to place blame on a company. Just my two cents...

This is true. It can happen anytime, anywhere. And your computer can get hacked. This is why I try not to keep my CC stored online anywhere or on the computer. I'll go through the hassle of putting all the info in again. I know some sites you have to make an account, but if I don't have to, I don't. I also never hit the remember me button on shopping sites or on CC sites. It may not help at all, but I feel better. :lol

OK don't be alarmed anyone - I'm just wondering if Forbidden Planet.com (as opposed to .co.uk) is still safe to use? It appears to have some things up for preorder that I don't see elsewhere.

i agree this situation is ridiculous. And those saying paypal or nothing. Even paypal can get hit have no doubt about that. The main thing that should happen to solve this entire issue and avoid this problem is this. Once you make an order remove your card from the system.

I personally would recommend the disposable cards because you only pay for the amount you use. This way you never get hit with the worry of a card being overcharged because the card is disposable and only covers the amount you want to use. If someone gets a hold of it its useless because (a) it only covers the amount you set it to (b) you probably already used it! . But still yeah i agree the credit card companies should have new technology to combat this age old problem. Digital signatures, biometrical fingerprint keystroke dynamics need to be brought in to verify ownership of a card. That would easily solve this issue.

Also i think they need to come up with a new way of payment. I mean the whole credit card thing for me is a thing of the past. Its an invention of the 1960's and in this age of technology is showing how insecure it is. I think banks should give people credit based on biometrically linked keystroke dynamic technology . That way nobody could ever steal your dna!!

Last edited:
I had my debit card number stolen last year from some where I made a purchase. Could have been an online store, but you will never know. I bank with Bank of America, and they had it resolved from my end in about two to three days. They FedExed me a new card and credit every dime back into my account. Check your banks and Cc companies because they aren't all made the same.
And the down side to paypal is they pull money out right away.

I have never have any problems regarding my credit card with AEC and will continue to buy from them.

As someone mentioned earlier, probabilities exist that our own PC may be compromised. That is why I never like to store my card or bank details on the PC I used to surf the net. On occasions when I really need to store such confidential details, I encrypt the file that contained these info. And I make sure to cleare the cache and cookies everytime I exits my internet browser.

I had my debit card number stolen last year from some where I made a purchase. Could have been an online store, but you will never know. I bank with Bank of America, and they had it resolved from my end in about two to three days. They FedExed me a new card and credit every dime back into my account. Check your banks and Cc companies because they aren't all made the same.
And the down side to paypal is they pull money out right away.

This is why for paypal I don't have my bank account listed. No way will I do that.

Back