MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way neca is better than this plus the scale.
Maybe neca for more accuracy, but this seems badly better than neca.
Disagree personally. Sure different scales, but the NECA figures are decent for the price point. They’re also not trying to be high end like Mondo wants to pretend this is.

Last few hours to decide on the exclusive. You have to remember, this is where we were just 5 months ago (see photos). A lot has improved greatly since then, so the question is whether we'll get a slightly softened "dumbed-down" figure that differs from today's final preorder pics, or a significantly improved figure that feels like a definitive MacReady. It's a bit of a gamble now - however, many here have said they already expect Mondo to deliver something worse than the prototype. If that's the case, let's just hope it isn't much worse. I can probably live with what they've shown to date, but certainly not the one from May of this year.

C9FF501A-91C0-4181-876C-9BC3D18EB275.jpg
68C2F47A-1996-4364-9D19-9C6035CAFFE3.jpg

Last few hours to decide on the exclusive. You have to remember, this is where we were just 5 months ago (see photos). A lot has improved greatly since then, so the question is whether we'll get a slightly softened "dumbed-down" figure that differs from today's final preorder pics, or a significantly improved figure that feels like a definitive MacReady. It's a bit of a gamble now - however, many here have said they already expect Mondo to deliver something worse than the prototype. If that's the case, let's just hope it isn't much worse. I can probably live with what they've shown to date, but certainly not the one from May of this year.

View attachment 673578View attachment 673579

Jesus Christ- I never saw those pics! LOL

Jesus Christ- I never saw those pics! LOL
It really was THAT bad just 5 months ago. The bloated Elvis face MacReady and an even worse jacket than what they're proposing today. Is it any wonder there's so much hesitation and indecision about buying this figure? A figure of a classic character that would likely sell rather quickly if it was any other maker.

This is a case where NECA is good enough. Just can’t get behind Mondo figures.

You have to pay in full upfront ( or there appears to be some installment system, but still, you are locked into some kind of contract), to wait over a year or more, and not be quite sure what you are getting. While assessing if this is "the last chance for you to get some" to overcome a prolonged dry spell, the clear unknown on multiple levels and ask yourself if you can silence the disquiet in your own heart.

This is basically an arranged marriage. This isn't a preorder, it's crowdfunding.

I'm still convinced ( though I could certainly be wrong) that this will end up the way of Enterbay Leon/The Professional and/or Anton/No Country For Old Men. Someone else will make one. Might be a mold lift or a knockoff, but it will happen at some point if there's money to be made off of it.

I believe he was in the film Genghis Khan or was it Night at The Museum?

You have to pay in full upfront ( or there appears to be some installment system, but still, you are locked into some kind of contract), to wait over a year or more, and not be quite sure what you are getting. While assessing if this is "the last chance for you to get this" to overcome the clear unknown on multiple levels and ask yourself if you can silence the disquiet in your own heart.

This is basically an arranged marriage.

This isn't a preorder, it's crowdfunding.

I'm still convinced ( though I could certainly be wrong) that this will end up the way of Enterbay Leon/The Professional and/or Anton/No Country For Old Men. Someone else will make one. Might be a mold lift or a knockoff, but it will happen at some point if there's money to be made off of it.
Just asked my wife about the marriage bit and she said yeeeeeeeeees.

DAM IT! Fomo is the True Thing creature in our day and age. *Sigh* I am just going to wait this one out as much as it pains me! Being broke sucks lol am I truly missing out on a fantastic MacReady figure here? Or is this just the FOMO Thing creature out to get me? I've been debating doing the payment plans but the added interest on them is what is stopping me from Pre-ordering.

Unless people really want the exclusive which I understand there is always the regular edition which isn’t timed. If it turns out decent I might go for that one but I’m waiting until it releases.

DAM IT! Fomo is the True Thing creature in our day and age. *Sigh* I am just going to wait this one out as much as it pains me! Being broke sucks lol am I truly missing out on a fantastic MacReady figure here? Or is this just the FOMO Thing creature out to get me? I've been debating doing the payment plans but the added interest on them is what is stopping me from
View attachment 673581

I believe I know the one on the right.

THis sculpt reminded me of his stanta claus movie a few years ago. Christmas Chronicles.

He could of told us in 5 mins or less...he didn't need to ramble on for 38 mins

I'm not convinced that Macready is the Thing at all. He was the "Hero" of the film. Told the final form THING to "F off" and blew it up with a stick of dynamite. Why would the Thing destroy himself like that if he was infected????? Palmer (who was infected) wanted Mac to freeze in the cold because he was a threat. I think people are grasping at straws to get a conclusion when I think the intention was ultmately to keep you wondering
If the infected are unaware they are infected (which seems to be the case most of the time) they likely won't be able to recognise fellow things and will fight the monsters. Heck, even those who know they are infected may still be in denial and just driven by the boosted self preservation instinct so will be happy to sacrifice fellow colonies of thing cells (once they know who they are) to keep themselves hidden so Mac could have been infected the entire time but the blood test suggests not, or at least just not at that moment of the film.

If the infected are unaware they are infected (which seems to be the case most of the time) they likely won't be able to recognise fellow things and will fight the monsters. Heck, even those who know they are infected may still be in denial and just driven by the boosted self preservation instinct so will be happy to sacrifice fellow colonies of thing cells (once they know who they are) to keep themselves hidden so Mac could have been infected the entire time but the blood test suggests not, or at least just not at that moment of the film.
I should add that each Thing seems to operate separately without coordination between things despite shared goals so can rule out telepathy. Only thing cells connected physically can communicate with each other. That means even thing creatures likely don't know who is infected unless they saw them being infected, unless there is some other giveaway such as pheromones that signal accross distance.

I don't buy that theory at all. The Thing isn't going to set explosives everywhere and then blow up the main creature with dynamite. The infected always acted strange to some degree. Mac never acted suspicious in any way other than to take down the monsters.

I don't buy that theory at all. The Thing isn't going to set explosives everywhere and then blow up the main creature with dynamite. The infected always acted strange to some degree. Mac never acted suspicious in any way other than to take down the monsters.
Which is why i still lean to Mac being human (blood test scene and as you say willingness to condemn himself) though it may be more than willing to kill other colonies which might be part of the thing micro organisms form of survival of the fittest as each colony may be in competition. However, there is still room for it to be the case that he is a thing (playing devils advocate again) he even said it would be happy to freeze again. Perhaps he was infected and not afraid to freeze and wait for new people (human or other) unaware of what was happening to come accross him and thaw him out. The thing does not fear freezing. It did so before. I still think he is human in the film though.

Last edited:
Which is why i still lean to Mac being human (blood test scene and as you say willingness to condemn himself though it may be more than willing to kill other colonies which might be part of the thing micro organisms form of survival of the fittest as each colony may be in competition) however there is still room for it to be the case that he is a thing (playing devils advocate again) he even said it would be happy to freeze again. Perhaps he was infected and not afraid to freeze and wait for new people (human or other) unaware of what was happening to come accross him and thaw him out. The thing does not fear freezing. It did so before. I still think he is human in the film though.
I don't know. The Thing did a real sucky job then infecting people and hiding it as MAC seemed to turn each monster into toast, while then using the blood test to figure it out. A lot of detective work for The "MAC Thing" to kill off it's own organism that's trying to hide and freeze off somewhere. People are really grasping at straws trying to make MAC The Thing. Child's was missing for a while and he made up his lame story of why. He's the THING if anything :)

Back