MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I think Mondo was the wrong company to get this license. Though I don't own any, I like their upscaled 90's animated versions of the X-Men. They do that well. But this... well, the "better than nothing" rationale at the rising price point... well it doesn't justify a sale for me.

On appearance only, it looks a few steps above something Mattel put out well over a decade ago under their "Matty Collector" banner. I would like nothing better than to have MacReady in my collection, but this is not a must-have representation of the character. It falls short of what it could be.

Last edited:
I doubt they could get the hoodie to work with their jacket since the collar doesn't fold down. The hood would be bunched up the back of his head.

Plus, as Dr. Anton Phibes noted, a hoodie under that jacket is going to make him huge.

Maybe by the time they get around to a variant figure they'll have found a better tailor and thinner material (preferably leather), and then they'll be able to put the hoodie under it.

The 1st prototype on page 3 had the hoodie and it looked fine

I have no idea what Kjun's MacReady cost, but it illustrates a nicely tailored leather jacket:

Chris Parms

6 May ·

“You're gonna have to sleep sometime, MacReady…”
🩸
🧫
#TheThing
RJ Macready by Kjun Art, Accessories by Andy, Spider-Vance by Cheung Kinmen. Thanks to Stiff for nod up on the Macready Petri dish.
❤️
💯

View attachment 672385

I believe $4000.00 was mentioned but I am often wrong. Exceptional figure as you would expect it to be. Gee Whiz leather jacket, hoodie part and flight suit in region of $700. Dslop 1.6 Props has created a Petri dish with Palmer thereon copper wire reel, bundle and sticks of dynamite. I have requested he creates these accessory parts. Leather rig in region of $60.00. I plan to take a look.at creating a working lamp.
Heck just realised I shall need the head sculpt! too.

I doubt they could get the hoodie to work with their jacket since the collar doesn't fold down. The hood would be bunched up the back of his head.

Plus, as Dr. Anton Phibes noted, a hoodie under that jacket is going to make him huge.

Maybe by the time they get around to a variant figure they'll have found a better tailor and thinner material (preferably leather), and then they'll be able to put the hoodie under it.
You verbalized this better than I did. Thank you. This is exactly what I was attempting to say.

Personally, I think Mondo was the wrong company to get this license. Though I don't own any, I like their upscaled 90's animated versions of the X-Men. They do that well. But this... well, the "better than nothing" rationale at the rising price point... well it doesn't justify a sale for me.

On appearance only, it looks a few steps above something Mattel put out well over a decade ago under their "Matty Collector" banner. I would like nothing better than to have MacReady in my collection, but this is not a must-have represenation of the character. It falls short of what it could be.

In the Q&A video they said this was their first realistic figure since Alfred Hitchcock in 2016.

MacReady is unfortunately a test subject.

It could be worse. Star Ace could've got the license...

For me it's really just the jacket, and it's inexcusable because they must have access to people with the skills to make a better recreation.

I will say, the prototype (and that's what this is, not a final product), has some potential. The heads, the accessories, those appear to be decent. I would pick those up, but nothing about the outfit and the overall appearance, justifies the price. Sorry, not sorry.

And as lovely as that custom figure is, Thousands of dollars? C'mon. Definitely sorry, not sorry. You can literally put together a 1:1 accurate set of Mac's wardrobe for a fraction of that. I literally own two of those original Schott jackets and I paid less than 200usd for the pair.

I couldn't pre-order fast enough. I just hope that the paint apps don't disappoint.

I've had some of the accessories that happen to be missing from this set for quite some time. (Dynamite, blue hoodie,) for example. They really should have included more for the price, which is really way too high.

I will say, the prototype (and that's what this is, not a final product), has some potential. The heads, the accessories, those appear to be decent. I would pick those up, but nothing about the outfit and the overall appearance, justifies the price. Sorry, not sorry.

And as lovely as that custom figure is, Thousands of dollars? C'mon. Definitely sorry, not sorry. You can literally put together a 1:1 accurate set of Mac's wardrobe for a fraction of that. I literally own two of those original Schott jackets and I paid less than 200usd for the pair.

And you don't have to pay the earth for a better tailored 1/6 jacket.

DID is a good example.

This is the jacket from their upcoming WWII USAAF pilot:

DID Rafe 23.jpg
DID Rafe 8.jpg

If you could add fur to the collar and remove the name tag it would get fairly close to MacReady's Schott 674 (which was produced between 1971 and 1987):

ThingKR-CL1-Jacket.jpg

DID's leather jacket production is pretty good, though in these photos it's mostly covered up:

53116670503_34da705ae1_o.jpg
53116378519_67a5a64738_o.jpg

53116179836_79b83dc13c_o.jpg

Out of all the pleather stuff I've had in the past I have had the most issues with DiD stuff flaking though. I don't normally get a lot of flaking issues being in CA, but with DiD almost everything pleather is absolutely destroyed.

So caution to anyone looking there for solutions. I'm keeping a close eye on my saving private ryan figures...

Out of all the pleather stuff I've had in the past I have had the most issues with DiD stuff flaking though. I don't normally get a lot of flaking issues being in CA, but with DiD almost everything pleather is absolutely destroyed.

So caution to anyone looking there for solutions.

They use more leather now.

All the jackets in my photos are described as "genuine leather".

e.g.,

WWII Government Issue A-2 Jacket (genuine leather)

The only DID pleather I had break up was a pair of boots I bought second hand in the early 2000s. They got damaged after taking them on and off various kit bashes. It was more down to mistreatment than poor quality.

Last edited:

On appearance only, it looks a few steps above something Mattel put out well over a decade ago under their "Matty Collector" banner. I would like nothing better than to have MacReady in my collection, but this is not a must-have represenation of the character. It falls short of what it could be.
The biggest issue is the cost, Mondo is charging HT prices with less than Sideshow quality.

They use more leather now.

All the jackets in my photos are described as "genuine leather".

e.g.,

The only DID pleather I had break up was a pair of boots I bought second hand in the early 2000s. They got damaged after taking them on and off various kit bashes. It was more down to mistreatment than poor quality.

Would definitely be cool if true. Their tailoring has really come a long way.

I'm still keeping an eye on my SPR figures though... :lol

If NECA hadn't already done a Mac, and the dog variation (picked mine up today), I would've jumped on this, no questions asked. I am still thinking of it. I just have to weigh stuff out, as I am out of room....and dunno how much more collecting I need to "own" and how much of it I can "admire", but not buy.
There is always room for one more!

You always need to own one more!

You can always admire one more!

Join us!

IMG_0166.gif

Back