MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The jacket is a huge let-down.
The other items are useable (even those boots) but to me, figures like this live or die on the combination of a quality head-sculpt & jacket.
(For example, Indiana Jones, Mad Max, Ripley).

The head-sculpts look really good to me but that jacket belongs on a $30 figure.

(I felt someone needed to post this for you. Just saying...)

I've had the Timed Edition sitting in my cart since he went live. But I just can't bring myself to go through with it.

Every now and then I think, what the hell just do it. Then I see the first photo again.

If there's a variant with the hoodie at some point, he'll probably have the hat as that's a noticeable omission from this one.

However, they'll probably leave something out like the flamethrower. So both initial and variant would be required purchases. What I really want to see before 10th November is someone like SooSoo tease a MacReady. :pray:
I am in your exact position, I usually just pull the trigger on things and not give it a moments thought, but I really cant make my mind up on this.

Last edited:
I am in your exact position, I usually just pull the trigger on things and not give it a moments thought, but I really cant make my mind up on this.
Yeah, I'm also in a weird limbo with this. One of the few remaining 1/6 characters I desperately want, but I don't think I'll be happy with this on the shelf. Others here may be right that it could skyrocket in price, but if the figure is sub-early 2000s Sideshow then what does that matter? I won't ever want something like that on display.

I've never had a "realistic" 1/6 of mondo, what does that look like in hand?

Because here the quality of this Kurt Russell even in prototype seems cheap to me compared to others brands, no?

I've never had a "realistic" 1/6 of mondo, what does that look like in hand?

Because here the quality of this Kurt Russell even in prototype seems cheap to me compared to others brands, no?

This is Mondo’s first figure with clothing and their first based on a real person.
Edit: they also did an Alfred Hitchcock figure.

Their Gordon Freeman is likely the best comparison as that had a human likeness with an articulated body with a cloth body suit wearing plastic armor pieces. It looks like Mondo is using the same stretched out body for Mac that they used for Gordo. It was priced at $200 and there was a noticeable step down in final product vs prototype. I expect similar for Mac.

Attachments

• 5C96963C-2973-479F-BC9E-C79CA9DEB046.png
    5C96963C-2973-479F-BC9E-C79CA9DEB046.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • AD864BC4-AE08-41C4-9A8E-5F87643A0002.jpeg
    AD864BC4-AE08-41C4-9A8E-5F87643A0002.jpeg
    702.9 KB · Views: 0
  • F6CBF14D-352A-4BFE-9478-D3990CF95547.jpeg
    F6CBF14D-352A-4BFE-9478-D3990CF95547.jpeg
    935.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Headsculpt, flamethrower and Thing-Monsters look great but the rest of it....considering the price tag....no from me. And I love the movie.

At this point you know if you're getting it.

I am getting it, but not too happy with the price. After tax it's like 265 or so USD.

Side note: Tax is criminal at this point. I see how the people say it's literally the government putting the revolver to you cranium(I really miss the gun emoji).

At this point you know if you're getting it.

I am getting it, but not too happy with the price. After tax it's like 265 or so USD.

Side note: Tax is criminal at this point. I see how the people say it's literally the government putting the revolver to you cranium(I really miss the gun emoji).
Taxation is theft

I can see what issues people have, but you obviously know more about clothing than I do, or literally anyone who will ever see my collection. I have all the NECA figures and I couldn't truly describe the jacket off the top of my head if I had to. It looks fine to me, I'd like more accessories though, not sure if I'll buy another variant if they do one later, but who knows.

I was this 🤏 close to getting yesterday, much like some of you a 1/6 MacReady has been an all time wanted grail for me and right now I'm debating myself on whether I should get this or not really hard.

Firstly credit where credit is due, the final prototype sculpts are great, much better than Neca's or any other custom attempt out there, I 100% see Kurt as Mac in both of them. The original sculpts were not good at all and it shows they did their best to nail the most important part of the figure. The real concern here is what will the final production paint look like, I would be pleased if it's similar to the proto but a downgrade is guaranteed.
1698882274123.png

The original sculpts:
1698882594325.png

1698882606049.png

Secondly, the things, yes they are a timed exclusive which sucks but it's really nice of them add them, the Norris head thing is probably the most iconic but the dog one is a close second and having those at least adds more display options.
1698882997825.png

I also noticed they improved some small things like the boots and such compared to their initial prototype which is great. Now here comes my concerns, first of all paying upfront I just don't like it if anything happens between now and July 2024 or if the final product turns out horrible a lot of us will end up getting burned and that just doesn't sit right with me.

As far as the figure the jacket surely jumps out to most of us. The inital prototype had a much better jacket imo and it looked liked it used waxed cotton instead of pleather which would not crack and peel after a few years. The absence of the blue hoodie also makes no sense and I do not accept Mondo's reasoning for it's removal since Mac has the hoodie on for the majority of the movie and it also adds a nice splash of color on the figure.
1698883296738.png

They don't even have to make a complete hoodie for the figure just the actual hood part as seen in this GeeWhiz version which won't make the figure more puffy.
1698883564841.png

Fortunately the figure is able to be put in other looks from the movie so when the jacket starts falling apart you aren't stuck with it, for example you can put Mac in a shotgun firing pose like he was seen in the dog scene, his first encounter with the thing.
1698883692342.png

1698883896686.png

1698884144259.png

Sadly he doesn't have a flashlight which brings me to my final point, lack of accessories. The hat and goggles seem to be the most important out of the missing parts imo, they just complete his look and if they decided to not include them because they couldn't figure out a way to have them as removeable items then I would've traded the frosty sculpt for one with permanent hat and goggles.
1698884303197.png

As far as other possible accessories, a bottle of J&B, dynamites and a Palmer blood tray with the blood flying out would've been obvious picks, perhaps the dynamite plunger, funnily enough these are all things the amazing (and expensive) KJun Art custom had.
1698884649718.png

1698884795260.png

And though this was never seen in the movie it would've been a cool inclusion just to kind of replicate the iconic poster.
1698884605925.png

1698884900887.png

Anyway I am still going back and forth on him, I know I will likely regret passing on him but when it's barely cheaper than the new John Wick from Hot Toys you really have to wonder if the final product will be worth it but then again if it's good then I will have passed one on of my most wanted figures ever. :gah:

Back