Action Figure Mondo God of War 1/6 Kratos

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's 3rd party and they're not allowed to use the likeness, I get that.
What I didn't get is that they didn't try to make a figure with higher posability, cause the Mondo's already stiff.^^

Well, it's 3rd party and they're not allowed to use the likeness, I get that.
What I didn't get is that they didn't try to make a figure with higher posability, cause the Mondo's already stiff.^^
You don't have to get that. You have to disagree. The good part being 3rd party is they don't give a s*** about what's allowed and not allowed. That's not an excuse. That's why it is a 3rd party, they don't bother with the 1st and 2nd party. They just don't give a proper research and design into the product. The screaming head is far off the likeness even the structure is wrong. And it's smaller in size:ohbfrank:

That’s not a good excuse at all. They’re already using the likeness and IP even if it turns out bad. It’s not legal regardless.

Not quite.
I don't know if you are familiar with 3rd Party Transformers? Don't mean to be pretentios is why I ask.
We have the exact same principle here.
It looks like what we know, we make it out as what it's supposed to be, but there are small changes in areas.
Here, namely, the face. It's enough to see it's supposed to be Kratos, but it's not 100%.
Same with said 3P Transformers: there are all the identifiable qualities of the character, but the packing doesn't say "Transformers", "Autobot", doesn't feature any of the logos and the name only is a reference, never the real deal.
Black on white, funnily enough, meaning per the law, it's NOT copyright infringement, because you can only put
a copyright on names and fixed logos, but not on character "shapes", so to speak.
I had that confirmed to me by a friend at Hasbro which sadly passed away last month.

So here's the same. All the gear and looks are there, but that's it. Nowhere it's says "God Of War", "Kratos", not even Leviathan.
And as long as that's not the case, no cease and desist will hurt them.
Fact.

You don't have to get that. You have to disagree. The good part being 3rd party is they don't give a s*** about what's allowed and not allowed. That's not an excuse. That's why it is a 3rd party, they don't bother with the 1st and 2nd party. They just don't give a proper research and design into the product. The screaming head is far off the likeness even the structure is wrong. And it's smaller in size:ohbfrank:

And even this: 3rd party can be licensed. Hasbro did it for years and still do it:
licensing out their character to, let's say, Three Zero. The difference is that those official 3P versions NEVER transform.
That's exclusive to the official shindig.

Looks like they made the axe bigger now.

165009weerjw0keksjzedy.jpg

Not quite.
I don't know if you are familiar with 3rd Party Transformers? Don't mean to be pretentios is why I ask.
It looks like what we know, we make it out as what it's supposed to be, but there are small changes in areas.
Here, namely, the face. It's enough to see it's supposed to be Kratos, but it's not 100%.
Same with said 3P Transformers: there are all the identifiable qualities of the character, but the packing doesn't say "Transformers", "Autobot", doesn't feature any of the logos and the name only is a reference, never the real deal.
Black on white, funnily enough, meaning per the law, it's NOT copyright infringement, because you can only put
a copyright on names and fixed logos, but not on character "shapes", so to speak.
I had that confirmed to me by a friend at Hasbro which sadly passed away last month.

So here's the same. All the gear and looks are there, but that's it. Nowhere it's says "God Of War", "Kratos", not even Leviathan.
Fact.

And even this: 3rd party can be licensed. Hasbro did it for years and still do it:
licensing out their character to, let's say, Three Zero. The difference is that those official 3P versions NEVER transform.
I'm sorry but this is an absolutely terrible take. Look at what Limtoys, Soosoo and other 3rd parties are doing.

This is a bad figure, justify it however you wish.

Not quite.

Fact.

In this case they just failed. If you believe this figure doesn't look as Kratos bc of the reasons u listen, good for you.

Well, some people listen to reason and good argumentations from other parts of collecting and some are just...you.

I never justified it anywhere. It doesn't look good, but this is how things are.
Deal with it.

Well, some people listen to reason and good argumentations from other parts of collecting and some are just...you.

I never justified it anywhere. It doesn't look good, but this is how things are.
Deal with it.
It’s literally not how things are, I could send you endless examples of third party companies putting out great work that looks or almost looks 1:1 to the source material.

People buy 1/6 figures for accuracy and attention to detail, nobody wants a figure that sorta looks like them but not really.

If someone sent photos of that figure to Santa Monica Studio/Sony then there would he lawyers rubbing their hands together, it doesn’t look bad to bypass IP infringement; it looks bad because it’s a lazy cash grab of a figure.

Not quite.

Fact.

So if you can’t copyright a character’s ‘shape,’ why have they failed to reproduce Kratos’ physical proportions?

And speaking of transformers, where do ‘4th party’ figures that make direct KOs of official products fit into the equation? Some even enhance the engineering and make figures more accurate in the process of KO’ing.

No license rights is absolutely not an excuse for failing to capture details. You just can’t copy brand-owned names or logos.

It’s literally not how things are, I could send you endless examples of third party companies putting out great work that looks or almost looks 1:1 to the source material.

People buy 1/6 figures for accuracy and attention to detail, nobody wants a figure that sorta looks like them but not really.

If someone sent photos of that figure to Santa Monica Studio/Sony then there would he lawyers rubbing their hands together, it doesn’t look bad to bypass IP infringement; it looks bad because it’s a lazy cash grab of a figure.

That's where you're wrong kiddo.
Because there's unofficial 3rd Party, where it's arguable if the term is even correct and then there official 3rd Party, licensed, and THOSE look like the real deal.
It's the truth. I'm not making it up.
If you don't know that, that's no crime.
Not educating yourself about that, but essentially calling me ignorant and "justifiying" things? Kinda should be.

So if you can’t copyright a character’s ‘shape,’ why have they failed to reproduce Kratos’ physical proportions?

And speaking of transformers, where do ‘4th party’ figures that make direct KOs of official products fit into the equation? Some even enhance the engineering and make figures more accurate in the process of KO’ing.

No license rights is absolutely not an excuse for failing to capture details. You just can’t copy brand-owned names or logos.

Because they took a ****** body. Period. HT does it all the time. Drax for example. That's not exclusive to HT?!

4th Party/KO is a very slippery slope. I tend to distinguish between a KO and a counterfeit.
KO can range from, every piece of plastic, machined part, spring, etc. copied, to a (that term exists in the TF fandom, look it up) enhanced, or heavy enhanced KO, because sometimes only the very basis is an official release, but they based their whole R&D on it, but essentially made a new figure, know how I mean?
Example of that would be the Fire Scorpion by Wei Jiang AKA Bumblebee Prime. The very basis for that is this small Voyager Prime, but you don't see any of it, because they based the whole figure, parts of the engineering and actual shapes of it, copied it and upscaled and changed it. Basically there's nothing left of the original, but the R&D started with an official.

Counterfeit, how I like to categorize it, is just that: stolen from the factory, copied 100%, but with less thick a cardboard box, thinner plastik, you'll have a hard time identifying it. There are subtle differences.

The last part of your text comes to competence, somewhat, cause I have figures in my collection that copy a certain look nearly perfect, but some details, like tampos, are switched deliberately, as to not 'stir the pot'.

Back