Action Figure Mezco One:12 Collective - (1:12 scale) DC Comics Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kind of want that Shazam, but, then, I'd have to try and get the creepy ass Figuarts Woody, because I feel like his creepy smirk and Captain Marvel's "Oh" face would make for some hilariously awkward possibilities.:lol

I get the complaints about "not comic accurate" but I also think there somewhat stupid. Between the Mezco line and Sideshows line it's pretty obvious what's happening. When they license the right to make the character they have to modify it otherwise they most likely have to pay royalties, or they have to exclusively get a license to make a figure a certain way.

For instance, you want a DKR Batman? Well then your going to have to license the right to make him as he appeared in the comic and most likely you'll be paying more since royalties will have to go to Frank Miller. Same with Infantino Batman, Adams Batman etc. Now a character like Flash, since he's only really had one costume or Captain Marvel, you can make them look closer to the source because there isn't any real "iconic" costume or design that would have to be separately licensed.

I find it odd that there would be a licence problem with DC, don't they own everything their artists produce, or am I wrong? I thought artists only get credit and authorship, but everything, from designs to story belongs to them, with a very few exceptions where they pay royalties.

They used to do royalties for a while but I don't know much about this topic.

Regardless... That's all well and good. But then why would Pierre repeatedly say they have access to everything?

Like 2 or 3 times per interview.

These are from the Fwoosh forums.
8cc3ce026ce9ae0422298f3563fc0771.jpg

looks just like cavill, might have to get this now

I don't think pics can do justice on cavill superman. I think in person it'll be better still early on to judge. I'll wait for more but the ones above do look way better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

[QUOTEArmchair licensing experts are the best... ][/QUOTE]

:rotfl Yeah. The only thing even better are armchair conspiracy theorists who think that toy companies are intentionally trying to deny them the toys they want and lose tons of money just because. :rotfl

I find it odd that there would be a licence problem with DC, don't they own everything their artists produce, or am I wrong? I thought artists only get credit and authorship, but everything, from designs to story belongs to them, with a very few exceptions where they pay royalties.

They used to do royalties for a while but I don't know much about this topic.

Regardless... That's all well and good. But then why would Pierre repeatedly say they have access to everything?

Like 2 or 3 times per interview.

Depends. Dave Gibbons and Alan Moore still get royalties for anything Watchman related(well mainly Dave Gibbons since Moore doesn't want it). Same with Miller and Adams. DC used to have a style guide that was done by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez that featured the guidelines of how the characters HAD to look if you were going to make figures of them or merchandise in general. But when more and more merchandise started to come out, they stopped having companies strictly follow it and let them experiment more in the early 90's.

As for Mezco having access to everything, they probably do have access to any character that they want to make figures of minus stuff from other imprints like Static Shock or Wild C.A.T.S. But DC is in the collectible game too now so they aren't going to let another toy company cut into their sales by releasing comic accurate figures. So

I get the complaints about "not comic accurate" but I also think there somewhat stupid. Between the Mezco line and Sideshows line it's pretty obvious what's happening. When they license the right to make the character they have to modify it otherwise they most likely have to pay royalties, or they have to exclusively get a license to make a figure a certain way.

For instance, you want a DKR Batman? Well then your going to have to license the right to make him as he appeared in the comic and most likely you'll be paying more since royalties will have to go to Frank Miller. Same with Infantino Batman, Adams Batman etc. Now a character like Flash, since he's only really had one costume or Captain Marvel, you can make them look closer to the source because there isn't any real "iconic" costume or design that would have to be separately licensed.

You know what else is "somewhat stupid"? Incorrect usage of they're/there and you're/your.

Oh. And wild, crackpot licensing cost theories. Time-Warner/DC owns their characters. They created style guides so their characters were depicted in a uniform manner, regardless of the creative talent crafting the stories. Do you really think Infantino and Adams receive any royalties for figures created to resemble their art? They get royalties if their actual work is reprinted, that's it. And maybe if their art is used on the packaging. But the idea that comic-accurate interpretations would mean higher licensing fees is ridiculous.

But DC is in the collectible game too now so they aren't going to let another toy company cut into their sales by releasing comic accurate figures. So
HOL UP!

How did I miss this? It all makes sense now, :slap I feel so stupid.

Could it be this? DCC just dropped their movie line because everyone else is doing a much better job than them, all they have left is the comic-related stuff... And obviously Mezco wouldn't say it's because of this because you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Could it be?

Nah, if that's the case, how come Mattel has made, and continue to make, comic based figures? ****, even NECA is doing it now, no problem.

I believe Pierre when he says that they want to make their own interpretations. I mean, who the hell would dictate that anyway? They could easily just make a Batman that looked like anything from Bob Kane to Neal Adams to Frank Miller to Jim Lee and not even have to say "hey, this is so and so's Batman".

And what power does DC have? Their precious DC Collectibles cancelled their very own DC film line because all the other toy companies like Bandai, Mezco, Mafex, etc. were already doing them. If they were dictating what people were doing, why not have a stranglehold on every possible market from comics, games, animation and movies?

Last edited:
:slap What is happening to me? :lol ****ing sleep deprivation is starting to take its toll, thank god it's Friday.

So yeah, Mattel's the exact same niche with even the exact same figure in both brands, both doing Rebirth at the time.

Yeah so it's probably not that, given than Mezco would be a completely different market / niche.

4QHmZIA.jpg

Better duck...lotta BS being tossed around here. :ohbfrank:

These "alternate facts" about the licensing process are absurd. Let's see, at last years SDCC AFT panel that featured Bill Benneke(sp?) from Mattel, Jerry Mancuso from Popculture, Cornboy from the 4 Horsemen and several other high profile toy designers and manufacturers from the industry described what they deemed as a new era in toy licensing. They termed it "spli-censing". What they explained is that you can now get a license for almost the exact same figure if there is something minutely different about your figure than some other company's figure i.e. being a slightly different scale, different price point, special joints, regional exclusivity and yes even having high end clothed figures.

Since Mezco has absolutely ZERO competition in the market in this scale, they likely can produce almost whatever they want...classic or Mez Flaired.

As it pertains to royalties, that's just a crock of ****. Miller has no legal rights to Batman. As someone mentioned, he may get royalties for the reprinting of his work but I doubt he gets anything from merchandising. Artist own no rights to their creations...that's why Image comics was started!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_Comics

Oh so I wasn't off then, no restriction since DC owns everything, or almost everything, and different niche for their figures.

So it's just Mezco stroking their own ego thinking anyone would want their ugly designs after all...

It boggles the mind.

On another note, people have already started to shill that ugly BvS Supes :lol on facebook, goes without saying... Has Mezco really earned this NECA-tier loyalty so easily?

:rotfl Yeah. The only thing even better are armchair conspiracy theorists who think that toy companies are intentionally trying to deny them the toys they want and lose tons of money just because. :rotfl

How does me saying it's ****ing stupid that they're doing their own ****ty, in-house designs equate to my being a "conspiracy theorist?" I'm just taking Pierre, a Mezco representative, at face value when he says **** like "we always try to make these characters look like they might look or exist in the real world," or "the line is to have all these characters exist in the real world." Those are both direct quotes and I can provide you with the YouTube videos and the exact points to look, should you so desire, and, frankly, I'm entitled to think that such sentiments are not only ****ing dumb (YAY! Opinions!), but, also, I can point out that it contradicts the fact that the line, when it started was hyping up how they were doing comic versions of TDKR and Dredd, as opposed to their own takes, which is what they're saying "the line has always been."

If anything, it's the people like you who go around spouting off the "ins and outs" of licensing that we plebs, like myself, just don't understand that are the "conspiracy theorists." Drawing conclusions based on your own speculation in order to justify their, frankly, stupid business decisions. I'm not doing any of that. I'm pointing to what was said, pointing to what has been shown, and giving my own, critical analysis of what I have seen from them (i.e. "That's ****ing dumb.").

:lolYeah. The only thing even better are armchair conspiracy theorists who think that toy companies are intentionally trying to deny them the toys they want and lose tons of money just because.:lol
How can someone be this blind?

This is why we can't have nice toys, yes-men like these have Mezco's back, as if they need it.

I must be confused and clicked into NECA's facebook page by accident, right?

I'm probably going to have Rib-Eye for dinner tonight, maybe with a homemade brownie cheesecake. I know its a better rich cheat meal than fast food, but sometimes I just want a sloppy meal from Whataburger. So It's not always an easy call.

How does me saying it's ****ing stupid that they're doing their own ****ty, in-house designs equate to my being a "conspiracy theorist?" I'm just taking Pierre, a Mezco representative, at face value when he says **** like "we always try to make these characters look like they might look or exist in the real world," or "the line is to have all these characters exist in the real world." Those are both direct quotes and I can provide you with the YouTube videos and the exact points to look, should you so desire, and, frankly, I'm entitled to think that such sentiments are not only ****ing dumb (YAY! Opinions!), but, also, I can point out that it contradicts the fact that the line, when it started was hyping up how they were doing comic versions of TDKR and Dredd, as opposed to their own takes, which is what they're saying "the line has always been."

If anything, it's the people like you who go around spouting off the "ins and outs" of licensing that we plebs, like myself, just don't understand that are the "conspiracy theorists." Drawing conclusions based on your own speculation in order to justify their, frankly, stupid business decisions. I'm not doing any of that. I'm pointing to what was said, pointing to what has been shown, and giving my own, critical analysis of what I have seen from them (i.e. "That's ****ing dumb.").

Very nice post, good job. :lol

Back