Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is 60fps on ps4 though right? But i guess you guys are right. But while MGSV does look amazing for sure, I'm think the PS4 has much greater potential. At least visually. But this will be a beast to behold on PC!

I recall people complaining that the sound quality or mix wasn't as good for ground zeroes as past metal gears. I'm not much of a sound guy so I'm less educated on that stuff. But do you guys think they'll fix that with TTP?

Both PS4 and Xbox are in rock solid 60fps without one dropped frame, which is mighty impressive. As for sound, the current gen versions sounds great while last gen sound terrible with it's highly compressed samples. Worse than indie games.

MGSV on PS4, as good as it sounds, doesn't hold a candle against the state-of-the-art, lossless, multichannel mix of MGS4 which still to this day is the best sounding game ever made. The almighty Skywalker Sound did the mix, and I'm guessing they're an expensive crew to hire again for MGSV.

I've shown MGS4 to people who don't even play videogames, and they can't helped but be blown away by the audio. :lol

For PS4 GZ sound quality is top notch, I heard the PS3 and 360 versions weren't as good in that department though, which is strange because MGS4's best feature was probably the sound quality.

As a person who owns both versions, it's obvious the game wasn't optimized for last gen hardware. Poor sound, framerate, pop-ins and controls kills the fun factor to the point of being unplayable and excruciating, hence why I was so negative on the game way back. Current gen however, has none of those problems. It's current gen or nothing. I totally wasted $20 on the PS3 version. :lol

According to JunkerHQ, Kojima said that TPP will have characters that speaks foreign languages. In order to speak with them, Snake needs a translator.

So you will have to find a translator and recruit him. Also, while Snake was fluent in Russian during the time of MGS3, he can no longer speak the language in The Phantom Pain. That part of his brain has been affected by the accident.

I dunno. Snake forgets how to speak Russian? Why go out of their way to write Big Boss to forget something like that? Suddenly, my stupid decoy theory doesn't sound as far fetched. :lol

While it makes the decoy theory echo a bit, selective memory loss is not far fetched at all, specially after a head trauma.

That doesn't sound like Kojima is going out of his way at all, sounds nothing but natural to me.

BB gets a bump in his head, forgets some skills, sounds like the perfect game progression or even at least as a tutorial excuse.

Or it could be someone else other than BB, it's a flip of the coin really. :lol

While it makes the decoy theory echo a bit, selective memory loss is not far fetched at all, specially after a head trauma.

That doesn't sound like Kojima is going out of his way at all, sounds nothing but natural to me.

BB gets a bump in his head, forgets some skills, sounds like the perfect game progression or even at least as a tutorial excuse.

Or it could be someone else other than BB, it's a flip of the coin really. :lol

So he forgot plenty of stuff, but has the time to feel angry and in need of revenge? Y'konw what Gaspar, I'm totally cool if that is or isn't Big Boss, and I'm actually cool with Kiefer being the voice (if you can't beat them, as they say).

What I'm intrigued the most is his transition from MGS3/PO/PW Snake to MGSV's multiple-codename-Snake. I'd love to see it being natural, justified and something I can get behind. I'm not saying that the end product isn't, but at the moment with all the trailers and previews, I'm not seeing it.

That being said, bait and switch isn't a new for Kojima, and Kiefer Sutherland himself admitted that there's a twist to his character, which as an actor he seems oddly up to speed with the convoluted mythology.

Personally, I love the meta aspects of Metal Gear the most, and I believe Kojima should have fun with the medium more rather than adhere to canonicity. :lol

Yup, that's why it's called selective :lol and it provides a good smoke screen for Kojima to do virtually whatever he wants with BB.

You're right about the meta aspects, if Kojima allowed MGSV be more self aware of the state of it's canon, maybe the fans that frown at the disregard of it would take it more lightly.

And looking at the humor in the TPP trailers, it might just still happen, who knows.

I can kinda see this being a thing, Snake not knowing how to speak Russian. Perhaps they're trying to lead into other parts of Big Boss that were affected by the accident, brain damage wise, and not knowing how to speak a language is plausible. Some characters at the beginning of a game have lost most of their abilities (Kratos in God of War II and III, Isaac Clarke...sorta in Dead Space 2, he is for the most part very unaware of what's going on at the start, Ezio in AC: Brotherhood and Revelations) and this plays in story wise at times.

That said...the decoy thing could work, and a bait and switch has been done quite a bit in some games recently, MGS practically being notable for that. I recall hearing that most people did not know that they were playing as the future Big Boss for the first time in MGS3.

If Kojima goes the decoy route, how will he explain the decoy being as great a soldier as the real Big Boss? That would kind of take a lot of the allure and legendary status away from Big Boss if it's either Decoy Octopus, Solidus or another clone that actually participated in all these legendary wars that Big Boss supposedly fought in.

If it's done right I wouldn't mind, but the fact that this has been a popular theory since the first GZ trailer was shown a couple of years ago makes me think it would be almost impossible to pull off since most of us wouldn't be that shocked that we weren't playing with the real Big Boss.

Last edited:
If Kojima goes the decoy route, how will he explain the decoy being as great a soldier as the real Big Boss? That would kind of take a lot of the allure and legendary status away from Big Boss if it's either Decoy Octopus or another clone that actually participated in all these legendary wars that Big Boss supposedly fought in.

If it's done right I wouldn't mind, but the fact that this has been a popular theory since the first GZ trailer was shown a couple of years ago makes me think it would be almost impossible to pull off since most of us wouldn't be that shocked that we weren't playing with the real Big Boss.

As awesome as Big Boss is, I think it's possible another soldier could be his equal in terms of skills. It's already proven by The Patriots having soldiers trained in Snake's image, but I'd try not to think about canon if I can help it.

As for the explanation of the decoy, who knows. Maybe it's just a soldier (not Decoy Octopus or a clone) taking place of Big Boss to flush out the antagonist of the game (Skullface, Barney the Dinosaur) while BB's up there allying himself with Zero, secretly double crossing Zero and later on his own decoy to keep his cover or to protect his motivations. The decoy learns of Big Boss's betrayal and the player has to go after BB himself. In the end, Big Boss and Zero wins while BB is in actuality planning against Zero (which explains why BB had the position of FOXHOUND commander in MG1).

At least from a gameplay perspective that would be neat. You get to do some nasty s*** and later be betrayed by Big Boss, who's has caused so much pain and misery for his evil schemes. By the end of the game, Big Boss is hailed a hero, while you the decoy is either dead or privy to the evil workings of BB that MGS fans would never get by playing as him. A lot like how playing as Raiden's only elevated Snake's status as a legendary hero in MGS2, only this time, reversed.

Well, at least that's more fun to speculate than "Oh! Is Quiet Sniper Wolf's mother?" "Is DD the grandfather to the dogs in MGS1?" :lol

As awesome as Big Boss is, I think it's possible another soldier could be his equal in terms of skills. It's already proven by The Patriots having soldiers trained in Snake's image, but I'd try not to think about canon if I can help it.

As for the explanation of the decoy, who knows. Maybe it's just a soldier (not Decoy Octopus or a clone) taking place of Big Boss to flush out the antagonist of the game (Skullface, Barney the Dinosaur) while BB's up there allying himself with Zero, secretly double crossing Zero and later on his own decoy to keep his cover or to protect his motivations. The decoy learns of Big Boss's betrayal and the player has to go after BB himself. In the end, Big Boss and Zero wins while BB is in actuality planning against Zero (which explains why BB had the position of FOXHOUND commander in MG1).

At least from a gameplay perspective that would be neat. You get to do some nasty s*** and later be betrayed by Big Boss, who's has caused so much pain and misery for his evil schemes. By the end of the game, Big Boss is hailed a hero, while you the decoy is either dead or privy to the evil workings of BB that MGS fans would never get by playing as him. A lot like how playing as Raiden's only elevated Snake's status as a legendary hero in MGS2, only this time, reversed.

Well, at least that's more fun to speculate than "Oh! Is Quiet Sniper Wolf's mother?" "Is DD the grandfather to the dogs in MGS1?" :lol

That doesn't sound bad at all actually, the fact that this game could end with a decoy, VR training, another clone etc... Shows how insane this series really is haha.

Kojima To Debut Metal Gear Online Next Week - IGN

BY JENNA PITCHER Metal Gear Solid series creator Hideo Kojima will debut the online multiplayer component of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, Metal Gear Online, during The Video Game Awards 2014 next month, the event’s producer Geoff Keighley revealed on Twitter today.Metal Gear Solid Online for PlayStation 3 initially launched in 2008 as a bonus component included with Metal Gear Solid 4. It allowed up to 16 players to sneak and attack in various online combat modes. A standalone package was also available on the PlayStation Network until 2012 for those who did not have MGS4.

The Game Awards 2014 will be held in Las Vegas on Friday, December 5. Those interested can catch livestreams of the awards show on PlayStation Network, Xbox Live, Wii U, Steam, YouTube and Twitch.

While you wait, check out our thoughts on Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, due out sometime in 2015, and visit our Wiki Guide on the older Metal Gear Online for walkthroughs and in-depth FAQs. IGN Logo

Can’t wait!

Next week !? :panic:

12my-body-is-ready.gif

Last edited:
I always assumed there would be traditional online gameplay like deathmatch etc.. Id prefer a release date, How do we not have one yet!? They cant reelease too close to Arkham Knight, so when!??

I hope he's in the game for more than a cameo. I feel it's quite weak to have the ultimate MGS villain only having one appearance inane of the games and him being a good guy, in that game. [emoji53]

There needs to be a decent amount of character development for me to buy his villainy.

I hope he's in the game for more than a cameo. I feel it's quite weak to have the ultimate MGS villain only having one appearance inane of the games and him being a good guy, in that game. [emoji53]

There needs to be a decent amount of character development for me to buy his villainy.

Yeah I agree. :duff

Looks like I'll finally be playing Ground Beef sometime soon on PS4. I guess next month I'll see if I can find a real cheap copy.

Back