Metal Gear Solid Customs Thread: SUBSISTENCE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both look great Ryan, I have the Yamato sniper wolf and meryl as bases for the characters too

Thanks Frank! Wolf is awesome, but Meryl won't hold up today, I was planning to use the hair from the 1/6 Meryl garage kit (the Sneaking Suit one) on top of the Yamato sculpt.

You SOB! Thats what im doing! Hahahaha! I bought wolf and ss meryl. Here i thought i was being crafty........

As for liquid, im not touching the boots seeing theyre pretty much how i want them. The gloves most certainly need to be painted, gotta buy some vallejo black. After seeing the way it worked on solids gloves thats the only brand im going with from now on.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

You SOB! Thats what im doing! Hahahaha! I bought wolf and ss meryl. Here i thought i was being crafty........

As for liquid, im not touching the boots seeing theyre pretty much how i want them. The gloves most certainly need to be painted, gotta buy some vallejo black. After seeing the way it worked on solids gloves thats the only brand im going with from now on.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Erm, great minds think alike? Although no one has ever called me that before. :lol

The Yamato Meryl sculpt is fine, the hair is dog poo. Mine is left abandoned for years now, I really need that hair.

14631413920_8711c338c3_z.jpg

MET002resin.jpg

Not entirely sure where the best place to post this is, so i thought i'd post in here instead of creating a thread

Sean is still going to do a MGS2 Snake and Pliskin head - It will start January next year so the Xmas rush is out of the way and funds can be put into getting it made.
Still looking to do the clothing as well (probably not for Pliskin tho)

There is a 2 eyed MGS3 Big Boss (same as the eyepatch just with 2 eyes) already printed and i will put it up next month sometime, for those interested in that version.

The way the eyepatch MGS3 Big boss was handled is my fault, we thought it would be a nice change to have a head ready for people instead of the long waits in between.

So we can discuss amongst ourselves what you would like to see after these (MGS2 being the next in Jan)

I'll put out there what i would want making if interest permits:

MGS1 Ocelot
MGS1 Psycho Mantis
MGS1 Meryl (head only, to upgrade the yamato figure)
MGS1 Sniper Wolf (head only, to update the yamato figure)
MGS2 Ocelot
MGS4 Liquid Ocelot

These are longs shots because of the complexity of the suits, but if i can find a way i'd want them myself

MGS2 Solidus (got some people in mind for the suit but would have to look into it, would likely be really expensive)
MGS2 Raiden (probably a long shot as the suit will be hard to replicate, can still get the head made though if the interest is there)

I have all the reference needed for MGS2 Snake/Pliskin. Let me know.

I also figured that the knee pads should be sculpted, with each ends having those elastic straps and they can go over the knee sleeves.

MGS2 Snake with Pliskin head is a go in Jan, no questions.

I've been scouring the internet for fabric and also looking into other printing methods with Sean, so didn't see the point in putting a thread up yet until it was at least closer to being able to be started.

It's for the other stuff people may want mainly. I put those above out there as stuff i will most definitely want Sean to do, but at the same time if the interest is not there i do not want to waste his time doing the digital sculpting when it can be put to use elsewhere.

There can also be exceptions in heads if there is low interest, like the head costing more to buy for example.

I think Raiden could use the sculpted chest pieces and shoulder armor, among others. They could be glued on top of of a skintight textured suit.

I might be quitting the customs game after that, the economy here is at an all time low, and the worst in Asia which means I can't buy things that aren't food. I've already stopped buying toys for awhile let alone customs. :crying

Can Sean build a mold for an M9 with the suppressor and laser? There's nothing like that out there.

M4 is literally all over eBay, so that's not a problem.

We'll do some test on the knee pads, see what works best. My only concern would be how far the knee pads would stick out under the sleeve, whether or not something can be made thin enough and not have it looking overly bulky. It might be possible to have the pad glued inside the sleeves as well so the sleeves would be as one and not necessarily a resin pads - could be foam.

For example, the MGS1 pads would not work under knee sleeves and still look half decent.

I have all the reference needed for MGS2 Snake/Pliskin. Let me know.

I also figured that the knee pads should be sculpted, with each ends having those elastic straps and they can go over the knee sleeves.

Not entirely sure where the best place to post this is, so i thought i'd post in here instead of creating a thread

Sean is still going to do a MGS2 Snake and Pliskin head - It will start January next year so the Xmas rush is out of the way and funds can be put into getting it made.
Still looking to do the clothing as well (probably not for Pliskin tho)

There is a 2 eyed MGS3 Big Boss (same as the eyepatch just with 2 eyes) already printed and i will put it up next month sometime, for those interested in that version.

The way the eyepatch MGS3 Big boss was handled is my fault, we thought it would be a nice change to have a head ready for people instead of the long waits in between.

So we can discuss amongst ourselves what you would like to see after these (MGS2 being the next in Jan)

I'll put out there what i would want making if interest permits:

MGS1 Ocelot
MGS1 Psycho Mantis
MGS1 Meryl (head only, to upgrade the yamato figure)
MGS1 Sniper Wolf (head only, to update the yamato figure)
MGS2 Ocelot
MGS4 Liquid Ocelot

These are longs shots because of the complexity of the suits, but if i can find a way i'd want them myself

MGS2 Solidus (got some people in mind for the suit but would have to look into it, would likely be really expensive)
MGS2 Raiden (probably a long shot as the suit will be hard to replicate, can still get the head made though if the interest is there)

Hyped for the two eyed snake (That sounds weird...) Would really like to see a Colonel Volgin, he wouldn't be that hard to kitbash in his russian military coat.

That's all well and good, but finding a textured fabric for the sneaking suit is hard enough, to then find one that can have hard resin parts glued onto it and still articulate in the shoulder as well as the pads staying glued on is even harder.

The ideal way would be the way they did the HT DX12, with the softer panels put onto fabric, but these are customs at 10-15 interest.. getting fabric that specific needs to be made and has to be bought in hundreds of meters. For the ribs there would need to be a ribcage done under the suit and things applied on top for the detailing, even then there is a possibility that wont look good or work how it's supposed to. It's a much more intricate suit to make in 1/6th than MGS1 or 2 and getting some fabric that works for MGS2 Snake has proved troublesome to say the least.

I think Raiden could use the sculpted chest pieces and shoulder armor, among others. They could be glued on top of of a skintight textured suit.

I might be quitting the customs game after that, the economy here is at an all time low, and the worst in Asia which means I can't buy things that aren't food. I've already stopped buying toys for awhile let alone customs. :crying

It would likely to be high in price like MGS1 snake though and, me personally could only settle for something that is a good representation of the character and will fit in with all my other figures. That's not to say a simpler way cannot be done. It's just not the way i would have it approached.

Again that being said, that doesn't mean the head couldn't be made and if people wanted to source their own suits and tailors if they don't like the direction said project is going. I can appreciate some people just can't/don't want to spend big bucks on these things and will happily settle for something i might not.

There's no way to get that to come through onto the fabric. I asked for this on MGS1 under suit and geewhiz said there's nothing they can do with fabric to simulate it. Same way they couldn't simulate it on the vest.

The only way to get something like that look, would be to use material like the rubber/Vinyl that batman use (like the begins figure) and have that fully 'designed' the sculpted shoulder area and chest etc, but as noted in my last comment that is specialized fabric you can't just buy and can't really be done at this level without it costing a small fortune.

I was also thinking that maybe the chest and abs could be sculpted for greater accuracy, and the seams could be hidden by the vest, but that would kill the articulation.

22333145019_9cf07945b7_c.jpg

I was considering Volgin, Thought that if the storm Hulk Hogan figure gets parted out his body might work, but again it's body reliant so making a run based off a body you might/might not be able to get a hold of is hard

How tall is he? I don't remember him being super tall in the game and i cant really find anything showing height.

I was considering Volgin, Thought that if the storm Hulk Hogan figure gets parted out his body might work, but again it's body reliant so making a run based off a body you might/might not be able to get a hold of is hard

True, i guess im in the minority of people who wouldn't mind him being the same height or just a bit taller than my MGS3 Snake. Love all the work you're putting in tho Frank, thanks!

Back