Metal Gear Solid collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, I have to agree. My interest with the series is at an all-time low, and I've been a HUGE fan seen the NES days!

I think Metal Gear has certainly runs it's course, with the dated sensibilities and lowbrow storytelling becoming even more apparent now. I love Kojima and will always respect him, and I'm not joking that the series pretty much molded me into who I am today, but with a heavy heart I have to admit that the days where MGS was a genuinely thought provoking, post modernist piece are long gone.

Nowadays MGS caters to a different crowd. Fans are obsessed with the merchandise and canonicity, and they don't look past anything beyond that. They're so obsessed if Skull Face is the brother in law of Vulcan Raven, or if that piece of wood in Afghanistan was actually the great granduncle of a wooded crate in MGS2. As far as I'm concerned, the canon of MGS was already broken beyond repair after MGS2, and intentionally too. MGS was never about about taking things at face value, even during the MSX days.

I dunno guys. I'm getting TPP but I don't have high hopes for it. The last MGS game that truly felt like a MGS game to me was Portable Ops., and that was 9 years ago.

I definitely feel MGS is done... TPP will do well money wise, but Metal Gear isn't relevant anymore. And MGS is dead as we know it there after.

For me MGS peaked with MGS 1. It had the right balance of crazy fourth wall breaking weirdness. And cool comic book sci-fi spy stuff. I fell in love with Solid Snake, the world the art direction so I've kept coming back but each time there are elements that leave my scratching my head. From Raiden slipping on bird poop, and Snake "kissing" the female posters in MGS2, to The Pain shooting bees out of his mouth and the Cobra corp exploding when beaten. To Johnny ******** himself and then having Meryl fall in love with him and wear a holster over her wedding dress in MGS4. There are all of these elements put into the games now that just turn me off. I think if Yoji Shinkawa wan't involved I'd probably abandon the series a long time ago. Kojima is totally overrated and surrounded by people who clearly don't challenge his stupid ideas. I imagine that wasn't the case as much on MGS1 when the series was basically an unknown and not a mega seller.

MGS is dead as we know it.

I sure hope so. I will always love 1-4 even if the first half is better than the second. They at least told a story. But I hate PW and Rising and GZ is barely even a game. I would rather play AC!D than anything after 4. The series seems like a zombie now. It's gone on long past its death and the creator constantly does everything but what people ask for so yeah I am ready to move on before the later entires tarnish the series reputation any more.

With Kojima gone, the Solid games should stop with him. Do more Metal Gear, do something stupid but leave the greatness of the old games and decent attempts of the recent ones alone. Though Rising has to stay with Platinum, at least we can get solid gameplay from them still. I feel MGS 1-3 were equal in their own ways, with flaws story and gameplay wise, but with 4, the series really did decline. I can move on from the series, I'll live. I mean I wasn't as attached to you all, since I only took an interest when I saw 3 in stores, and later tried 4 on PS3 but I still respected the series for what it did in its hayday, cause what it did, was great.
Sadly, I have to agree. My interest with the series is at an all-time low, and I've been a HUGE fan seen the NES days!

I think Metal Gear has certainly runs it's course, with the dated sensibilities and lowbrow storytelling becoming even more apparent now. I love Kojima and will always respect him, and I'm not joking that the series pretty much molded me into who I am today, but with a heavy heart I have to admit that the days where MGS was a genuinely thought provoking, post modernist piece are long gone.

Nowadays MGS caters to a different crowd. Fans are obsessed with the merchandise and canonicity, and they don't look past anything beyond that. They're so obsessed if Skull Face is the brother in law of Vulcan Raven, or if that piece of wood in Afghanistan was actually the great granduncle of a wooded crate in MGS2. As far as I'm concerned, the canon of MGS was already broken beyond repair after MGS2, and intentionally too. MGS was never about about taking things at face value, even during the MSX days.

I dunno guys. I'm getting TPP but I don't have high hopes for it. The last MGS game that truly felt like a MGS game to me was Portable Ops., and that was 9 years ago.
I agree with Ryan, this is really how MGS is more or less these days. This is also with its fans (bar us, cause we're awesome :lecture :lol ) since a lot of MGS fans are insufferable. Hell even some of the older fans I've seen on YouTube and elsewhere have gone off the deep end to me, they just don't know anymore.

I know it won't happen. But would like to see remakes of all the metal gears in cronilogical order, story cleaned up. All using the new Fox engines in TPP. The open world design is overdone in most games but in this engine it seems to work very well. I find myself watching the gameplay videos of TPP and I love it!! It gives me that Red dead redemption vibe that I miss. Which plays better than all other open world sandbox titles imo.

It's funny, MGS ended for me in 2008. But, I honestly think I'm burnt out with this series after MGS V :lol. Kojima chose a right time to depart (or rather, Konami chose a right time to fire him) because this thing has been going on for far too long. I also feel like an old man, being a generation older than a lot of the upcoming kidz, who played Peace Walker in 2010 and have since latched onto this series like their momma's umbilical chords.

MGS V might be the greatest game in the series, or it might be a complete flop in terms of its storyline and themes. But, it's not even going to matter, and discussing the future of this franchise no longer makes sense. Kojima's not with Konami anymore, and the next MGS "game" might be in a yaoi-themed pachinko machine.

Coming Sept. 1st, this series is done, folks!

Haha, nice collection. Mines that big too.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

SNayMlb.gif

Morale seems pretty low in the last few pages, I just hope we get a "Solid" figure/statue announcement to keep our mind off of what the serie has become.

Not so surprising, but the description @ amiami states this "Third Child" comes with 0 accessory except a pak stand...

Pretty big & nicely displayed collection, redgie.

Hoping that Hot Toys shows of MGSV Snake soon. I'm thinking of selling my Medicom MGS3 Naked Snake tiger stripe if it looks good.

Why? It's from a completely different game. To me its like saying "I hope the new sonic figure is shown soon, if its nice I'm gonna sell my Mario figure."

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Back