Metal Gear Rising [Revengeance]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the gameplay in those games was as involved as you'd let it be.

There was obviously something seriously wrong with the old MGS Rising, so everyone can wax philosophical about what could have been until the cows come home, but it most likely would've been a train wreck.

Rising was never going to be a true Metal gear game anyway.

For me the gameplay was only under the guise of branching involvement. I felt as though it was all the same just a matter of what combination you were going to use it. I gave up on DMC for the same reasons.

I agree about the what could have been though. Obviously they didn't like the direction and it's to late to be bothered with it any way.

Well, the gameplay in those games was as involved as you'd let it be.

There was obviously something seriously wrong with the old MGS Rising, so everyone can wax philosophical about what could have been until the cows come home, but it most likely would've been a train wreck.

Rising was never going to be a true Metal gear game anyway.

I agree :lol. Any MGS game without one of the Snakes isn't truly MGS. But, I think the new "Rising" fits that category more appropriately. From the way that this game is developing, it looks like utter POS compared to what was originally intended.

On another note, the setting for this game doesn't make any sense. Raiden always hated his past (and he despised himself for it in MGS 4), but now he's calling himself "Jack the Ripper" for no reason. Also, he retired from battle toward the end of MGS 4, got his old body replaced with a human body, and he chose to live as a family with Rose and John. But now, not only is he back to being a suped-up cyborg, but he's also missing an eye? There's also the whole matter of the Patriots and the war economy being destroyed, so there shouldn't be any more PMC soldiers and Metal Gear Rays running around...

sense-this-picture-makes-none.jpg

Last edited:
I just listened to the Koji Pro podcast. They said they had a great script for the original version. It was ultimately cancelled because they couldn't implement action and stealth.

So they went to Platinum who decided to scrap everything but the "cutting".

They should have just worked with them not surrender to them completely! Damn you Kojima!

well maybe they were too ambitious bout it and in the end couldn't really pull it off like how they wanted it too be.

Has anyone here played Bayonetta or Vanquish? The gameplay in those games were fantastic, IMO. I'd take those games over a glorified Fruit Ninja game anyday.

did. awesome games too btw. can't blame platinum games for the style they went with. their game style are over the top action.

I like it. I think the graphical style works and the gameplay seems fun and over the top and Raiden has always been over the top. Most importantly, he looks badass. Kinda bump that the stealth aspect is gone but never did felt that it will work very well even back then.

I mean I have never really played a game where both extreme action and stealth works perfectly. It's either the controls are too sensitive for stealth or too slow for action.

I am glad they went with the all action route. This game was never meant to be an MGS game. More like an action spin off. I am disappointed that the game does not take place between MGS 2 and MGS4. I was really curious about his transformation. I hope they will at least show it in via flashback in this game. Who knows, maybe even Snake will make an appearance himself (if he isn't dead already)

ps- anyone find the voice acting horrible? Why didn' they use Quinton Flynn? I am so used to him voicing Raiden that Raiden is just not him without Flynn.

true dat. it's either or. new batman games are the only ones i know that have the whole stealth take downs and full on brawl if it goes to ____. but i see it more as a beat em up.

Oh man it looked soo much better before in everyway. Better graphics, better FPS, better style, better music.

The story would have been badass too! The origin of how Raiden became a cyborg. ____, hopefully they make that game in the future.

What ever Kojima is working on better be good enough to warrant throwing this away:slap

On a positive note i loved Vanquish alot

Techically, it could be called revengence because they game could focus on him having his body destroyed and recreated. Afterwards, killing those responsible for his condition. It could be like robocop 1. Whatever though. Raiden using stealth seems so....stupid now. A cyborg with strength like the incredible hulk hiding in lockers and air ducts, really???????? Thats flat out borderline ridiculous for raiden now. Leave the stealth to people like Batman and Snake, Not Hulk/Superman and Raiden.

Techically, it could be called revengence because they game could focus on him having his body destroyed and recreated. It could be like robocop 1.

It's "re" vengeance and "re" booted, "re" everything from a development standpoint, because everything is being done over from scratch.

I agree :lol. Any MGS game without one of the Snakes isn't truly MGS. But, I think the new "Rising" fits that category more appropriately. From the way that this game is developing, it looks like utter POS compared to what was originally intended.

On another note, the setting for this game doesn't make any sense. Raiden always hated his past (and he despised himself for it in MGS 4), but now he's calling himself "Jack the Ripper" for no reason. Also, he retired from battle toward the end of MGS 4, got his old body replaced with a human body, and he chose to live as a family with Rose and John. But now, not only is he back to being a suped-up cyborg, but he's also missing an eye? There's also the whole matter of the Patriots and the war economy being destroyed, so there shouldn't be any more PMC soldiers and Metal Gear Rays running around...

Well said man. This literally makes no sense.

Yah let's see Kohima make sense of this. Also if they've taken out the destructive environment combat like in the initial teasers... Generic slasher? Not for me...

Kojima posted on Twitter:

Rebirth of "RISING". You may have felt "the coloring and atmosphere seems not Metal". The old RISING developed by Koji Pro back then had to have the Metal look and complicated control in 30 frames. My only favor i had to Platinum was "cool Raiden who moves without awkward feeling in 60 frames".

I thought this is supposed to take place before MGS4?

Edit: Never mind. All points herein are apt and make me sad.

Last edited:
The gif of MGRR on the previous pages is not indicative of the game's actual framerate. Platinum strives for 60fps in their games.

And like Kojima said in the quote above (posted by Sachiel), it should be 60fps in final.

Biojex said:
I thought this is supposed to take place before MGS4?

Originally, in the scrapped version of MGS Rising, it was supposed to be set during MGS2 and MGS4. Now, it's several years after MGS4. Refer to this post for more info, if you missed it.

The gif of MGRR on the previous pages is not indicative of the game's actual framerate. Platinum strives for 60fps in their games.

And like Kojima said in the quote above (posted by Sachiel), it should be 60fps in final.

Originally, in the scrapped version of MGS Rising, it was supposed to be set during MGS2 and MGS4. Now, it's several years after MGS4. Refer to this post for more info, if you missed it.

I need to read more :lecture

So they're basically undercutting the entire ending of MGS4? :(

Last edited:
It's pretty ridiculous, even by MGS standards. The new MG Rising looks like cheesy, over-the-top Michael Bay-level bombast and doesn't fit into the established world of MGS.

Not sure what to think, really. I love MGS, but I love Platinum's games. Odd bedfellows.

Will wait and see.

Naaaah just another copypast of some CAPCOM projects.

Original MGS Rising:
ihhDnP9FOgPcR.gif

iERbWaj5zMuZi.gif
Realistic gameplay? Awesome!!!

New MGR Revengeance:
risingg2rtp.gif
Onimusha + SWTFU? Craaaaaaaaaaaap! :monkey4:monkey4:monkey4

Last edited:
It still looks interesting but WAY TOO CARTOONY lots of flashes of colour on jumps and sword-swipes like an old arcade game, the original without the flashy crap and with blood look so much better

Well i just saw the trailer and my first thought is what happened?

This seems to have very little to do with MG universe. Story-wise i don't know what the hell is going on, swordplay being a new weapon format, Raiden training an army, lots of other cyborg ninja blokes.

What bugs me is this resembles a throwaway capcom game, cheesy music, lots of flashy light fueled action, almost no story.

The worst thing is how his power goes from hitting guys with a sharp sword only to hurt them slightly to using the exact same sword with the sudden power to dismember them :dunno.

Seems they just gave up on the game but felt they had to make it, so they stuck Raiden, some Geckos and a Ray onto a capcom game and hope we'd not notice :censored

Last edited:
Back