Merging and locking threads.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creecher

Such is Life - Ned Kelly
Reaction score
Any probs please let me know.

Thanks all
Shell

Thanks for invite Shell. I was just wondering why the spate of merged and locked threads.

Starting with merged threads. Why the need to merge threads? It causes, at least for me, some confusion, particularly when threads have been running for some time, then suddenly get merged. I can see why threads, on the same topic, say for a new product, where two members both virtually start a topic at the same time, are merged. It's a new topic and easily combined without confusion. For example, for me, I am able to separate the threads in my mind, and if I happen to be looking for pics I know which one to go to, but not if they are merged after leading their own lives so much.

Locked threads. I can see that it may help stop necroposting, if a thread is locked after a certain time with no activity. I can see why a thread is locked for descending into abuse. I can see the usefullness of locking a commerce thread, where the deal has been finalised. Once finalised, no longer relevant, kill it off, but why lock a thread because there are other threads already running concurrently? Locking a thread sends it into oblivion, and doesn't allow the natural course that that thread may be running, even though it may be on the same topic as another thread.

Anyone else care to comment, mods or members? Anyone else been wondering why or having problems? Suggestions?

I think the main reason for the surge in the merging/locking threads has to do with the new moderators and learning the job. I completely agree with the locking of old sale threads. I know I have been guilty of asking if something was still available and the item had been sold a long time ago.

Merged threads can be confusing, but so can having two or three threads that are talking about the same thing. I get confused about which thread I said what in. :google

:lol Does it matter then. Maybe there should just be one massive thread, but would it help you? :lol

I get confused just as easily. Look at the Dark Knight threads, for example. Three figures and two vehicle threads, and it's crazy. I guess what I'm getting at is things have been running along pretty well, and it's nice and relaxed. Take one of the Ironman threads that has a heap of Joker pics in it. Who cares? It gets back on track eventually. Do you think it's just another transition we'll get used to? Does anyone think stricter adherence to subject matter is all that necessary, in that, do you think it's killing the vibe a little?

I am getting very confused myself. Especially when you are locking threads and then posting a link to a thread that in itself is locked :lol

I agree ,its a bit confusing for old farts members like us...

I'm confused in general, but I think long running threads should be left to run their course. If there's no abuse or the subject is still relevant, there is no reason for them to be merged or locked. I think the only time threads need to be merged is when two or three new ones are started about the same subject. But what do I know?

Hi, King. :wave

It does seem to be getting out of hand. It's not the end of the world, but it can be annoying. Creech pretty much summed up my feelings, I just assumed it was new mod growing pains and things would be taken care of behind the scenes.

ARRRRGH!!! make it stop!! im going crazy here. did you hear that?? it's voices. voices in my head. it feels like i got bugs under my skin. all because the new mods are merging and locking threads. why are you guys doing this to me?!?!

i envision this thread will be merged with the Conspiracy thread and then locked.

p.s. I agree there's a lot of locking and merging going on.

Waay too much of this going on with no advance notice in the threads. Threads are either being pulled or merged, and some for no reason. Just had a Keaton Batman thread I authored that was running for a year yanked and renamed Custom Keaton. It was meant as a general discussion of ALL things Keaton Batman and has become the home base of the Sov Studios Keaton but there are tons of posts about the movie, the Costume, all kinds of stuff in there. Lots of time and energy was spent making it what it was...

Anyway, no-one talked to me about it, or anyone else who frequents the thread. It was summarily renamed and moved.

The overmerging is really annoying, it makes a mess of a long running thread and renders any search of the thread useless, irritating and frustrating.

Some new Mod merged one of Wooksters TDK Hi Res Photo threads with another thread and the Hi res pics were completely buried. It was a very populat thread to check out pics. It took me 15 minutes to find that first page.. totally useless merge.

I think new Mods are trying to do a good job but are overdoing it in some cases.

Sorry to be such a whiner, but things seemed better the way they were handled before. Dave would chime in and let every one know what he was thinking, then ask us for feedback before making changes. And he still does

Now it's like a massive weedwhacker plowing through a backyard barbecue.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEE -WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! :lol

It doesn't necessarily make sense to have 3 threads for the same thing, even when they've all been around for a while, such as the Batman threads. I was the one that merged the HT Bats threads because the same discussion was going on in all 3.

A solution may be to lock an old thread when the new, official pics are posted, I think that may solve some of our problems.

It doesn't necessarily make sense to have 3 threads for the same thing, even when they've all been around for a while, such as the Batman threads. I was the one that merged the HT Bats threads because the same discussion was going on in all 3.

A solution may be to lock an old thread when the new, official pics are posted, I think that may solve some of our problems.

Image threads should never be merged with older discussion threads IMO, so yeah, that sounds like a better solution. Thanks.

People like to go to the 1st page of Wooksters Hi res threads to see pics...

Back