Action Figure Medicom - MAFEX Star Wars line coming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Trigun. No argument intended but the R1 is not 100% new. The arms and legs are reuse. The gloves, helmet, upper and lower torso are new. The lower tunic.that comes off the belt MAYBE reuse but the belt is new. I am not sue why Robokillah has trouble photographing the 4th BS Vader as my photos as well as others tend to look better, less frumpy:-D. No offense to Robo.
View attachment 362458

No worries, but I have them both in hand and I can confirm no parts were reused, this is my photo I posted on my fb page
e0f4b2e3951ff25fbf68e3b2c8e9214b.jpg

Some similarities, but the new Vader surprisingly has a better sculpt, and the new cadets arms are shorter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna have to side with people who think hasbro has made the best 1/12 Vader to date. This just totally captures his essence like no other figure this size.

bOETR11.jpg
LRDNBSv.jpg
5xPucZn.jpg
pG6vkfR.jpg

Slightly more on topic, I just ordered the mafex ROTJ Boba Fett. I got bit by the mafex bug with some of the DCEU figures (have regular and armored Bats from BvS, knightmare bats is on the way. Plan to get WW 2.0 or 3.0 and JL supes). Can't wait to get Fett in the mail. I was torn between ESB OR ROTJ, but I already have a really nice ESB version in the 8 inch diecast real action toy. It's like a 1/6 figure with soft goods except the body under the clothes is diecast metal and it's only 8 inches tall. It doesn't scale with anything else, but I just love it so I figured I'd get the ROTJ mafex for something a little different.

Got my Vader from CDJapan today. Fantastic figure. I dare say my favorite Vader? I have the other two Mafex Vaders and I like this much better. Thos red lenses look great!

Also for the people saying they think Hasbro Vader is the best... Can't say I disagree. The size, bulk and sculpt is so freaking good. I love it. If the eyes were a bit redder, I'd like it even more.

I'm torn between the Rogue One Mafex and the Hasbro one.

Mafex Star Wars Rogue One Darth Vader (1) by allen lamb, on Flickr

Mafex Star Wars Rogue One Darth Vader (2) by allen lamb, on Flickr

Mafex Star Wars Rogue One Darth Vader (3) by allen lamb, on Flickr

Mafex Star Wars Rogue One Darth Vader (4) by allen lamb, on Flickr

Mafex Star Wars Rogue One Darth Vader (5) by allen lamb, on Flickr

Mafex Star Wars Rogue One Darth Vader (6) by allen lamb, on Flickr

Mafex Star Wars Rogue One Darth Vader (8) by allen lamb, on Flickr

Couldn't the mafex be modified to have robes over the shoulder armour with some cloth? Doesn't seem like it'd be too hard a mod.

Another thing, both the BS and the Model Kits proportions are wrong. The helmets/ face parts are too big and the bodies are too thick and stocky, despite what you may think Vader should look like.

The arms and legs on the BS *might* be a little on the thick side (I think they're fine personally, but I can see the argument might have at least some merit), but the BS helmet is spot on. The mafex looks quite pinheaded.

73b8a612d44617120be939ea9f1c2d12.jpg
darth3.jpg

Eeeee, I don't know. In Fwoosh's review, he compares the Mafex R1 with the Black Series, and I'm really torn. The BS looks like Dave Prowse is in there and he will always be Vader to me. If you can put the Mafex cape on it then it could look stellar. Hmmmmmm......................

Victoria's Cantina has a review of Mafex RO Vader and it looks amazing and she rightfully declared it superior to the BS Anniversary one. Excellent review.

https://youtu.be/p3EFHf0neUY

Superior is subjective. Does it have superior articulation? yes Does it have superior accessories? Yes. Does it look like ass compared to the BS sculpt? Yes. Not picking a fight, but for my money, sculpt outweighs having 89 points of articulation or whatnot.

I'll admit, based on the video reviews and in hand photos, my opinion of the Mafex R1 Vader has definitely improved. It certainly has the best looking finish. But I still think the 40th Ann. Black Series beats it overall. Its paint finish isn't as high quality, but its overall sculpt, its helmet, and its general proportions seem closer to screen accurate to me. It's down to the overall package, and for me, the black Series figure better captures the overall look of Vader (especially his ANH appearance, which is my favorite).

I think both figures look pretty awesome, and if high quality paint and maximum articulation are really important to you, I can see why you'd prefer the Mafex.

Neither figure is perfect (is anything ever?). The mafex has some slightly odd looking proportions and I really hate how the chest armor overlaps the chest box in so many poses. The black series' legs are a little *too* chunky and you have to really dig for one that has good clean paint apps (especially the stripes on the chest armor).

But these are easily the two best looking 6 inch Vader figures ever. And, for me, the BS 40th is so good that I don't feel any desire for another 6 inch Vader. It hit that sweet spot for me.

I really like the new BS Vader but I got one with an extremely loose ankle joint. Still considering getting the Mafex as well.

The BS has the best ANH helmet and the Mafex RO has the best RO helmet. So if you like ANH's floppy crooked dome and more pointed helmet then that's a preference. Check a still from RO and you'll see the Mafex helmet sculpt is near perfect. Of course it is a tit for tat for overall best 6" scale Vader. Personally, finish and detail is important because otherwise the figure will always be subpar plastic grade with non premium paints. If the sculpt is made in Play-Doh is it still most important over quality and materials?

Just saw the variant non 40th Vader in standard BS box. The finish is much improved with glossy instead of matte and gunmetal under the chin. So it does make me appreciate the BS Vader again. I still prefer Mafex RO but they both can have a space on the shelf.

I really like the new BS Vader but I got one with an extremely loose ankle joint. Still considering getting the Mafex as well.

This can be tightened up by applying some Johnsons Klear to it, it might be called Future where you are. Whatever, when it dries, it does help tighten loose joints. It is glossy though, so wipe off any excess quickly, you only want it to flow into the joint itself.

Just saw the variant non 40th Vader in standard BS box. The finish is much improved with glossy instead of matte and gunmetal under the chin. So it does make me appreciate the BS Vader again. I still prefer Mafex RO but they both can have a space on the shelf.

Mmm, now that makes the BS sound even more of a prospect, plus I should be able to find it in my local TRU and not have to send away for it, we'll see.....

OK, so I received this Mafex Vader and I owe Oh Hell No! an apology. Proportions look bad in the promo pics but they are worse in person.

Out of the box and standing straight, the figure looks awful. Huge legs and feet, tiny hands, matchstick arms, small head... The cape won't fall straight down either. The only way for this figure to look decent is in action or "theatrical" poses. But you won't have fun posing it. It's quite a pain in the ass, even with a huge track record of figure posing.

I am disappointed. Even if it is growing on me now, in the end, unless you want a dynamic Vader on your shelf, I can't recommend this figure. If you can grab a 40th anniversary Vader or the latest regular one, go for it. I think it will look better overall.

Anyway, some pics of mine. I hope you enjoy.

Plus, for a Vader, he looks most unimpressive. He seems scaled with other figures from Medicom or Hasbro but he lacks presence. Not imposing enough IMHO.

Excellent pictures, imo he looks fantastic. Much better than the OG Vader. Despite all the criticism, your pics just sold me on him lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back