Medicom Kaneda and bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd save up to be able to afford one of these, but I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before medicom goes back for another shot at this.

I'd save up to be able to afford one of these, but I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before medicom goes back for another shot at this.

i kinda doubt that. You dont see akira product that often, especially in 1/6 format. and even if medicom decides to make some in a few years down the road, you probably gonna be looking at a msrp of $300-$400 for a 1/6 figure and $600-$800 for the bike. i mean, just look at what medicom and bandai are listing their figures for now compare to what we see when kaneda was released.

i kinda doubt that. You dont see akira product that often, especially in 1/6 format. and even if medicom decides to make some in a few years down the road, you probably gonna be looking at a msrp of $300-$400 for a 1/6 figure and $600-$800 for the bike. i mean, just look at what medicom and bandai are listing their figures for now compare to what we see when kaneda was released.

You're probably right, but it'd be just my luck to pay aftermarket a couple months before a rerelease :)

I graduate in a few months, might make a nice present to myself.

Was thinking the same thing. I'm sure Akira will be done again at some point in the scale but not for awhile.

I can understand that thinking, but Medicom's results seemed awfully underwhelming to me.

For now, Bruce Lee rides the beast! Try to post pics later. :wave

In what way?! The figure ticks all the boxes and is a bang on representation of Kaneda IMO. Same with Tetsuo. As for the bike...Hot Toys would struggle to improve on it. I love the set.

I can understand that thinking, but Medicom's results seemed awfully underwhelming to me.

For now, Bruce Lee rides the beast! Try to post pics later. :wave

Wow really? The figure looks great in all the pics I've seen, to me anyway. I don't like medi's scrawny figures generally, but I think being an anime figure I'd be fine with it.

In what way?! The figure ticks all the boxes and is a bang on representation of Kaneda IMO. Same with Tetsuo. As for the bike...Hot Toys would struggle to improve on it. I love the set.

I've seen a few reviews of this beast, and I can't see HT doing a better job of it :)

This is still probably my fave display piece ever !!!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vPWcAqfxF0&feature=plcp[/ame]

Bob

In what way?! The figure ticks all the boxes and is a bang on representation of Kaneda IMO.

I found the costume fabric too cheap and poorly tailored. (Although to be fair I saw the outfit ported over to a better body and it did look better.)

And anime/cartoon headsculpts don't pose much of a likeness challenge, imo.

Also, I got tired of Medicom's pre-broken joints. :gah:

Your mileage may vary. Tetsuo did turn out very nice, though.

As for the bike...Hot Toys would struggle to improve on it.

After seeing what HT produced for the Tron Lightcycle, I totally agree with you there!

____

And anime/cartoon headsculpts don't pose much of a likeness challenge, imo.

That always seemed to me one of the greatest challenges. A lot of 2D cartoons are designed for just that - 2D. On top of that, you're making a 3D object of something that people are only familiar with in 2D, where much is detailed with solid black lines. There are many ways in which it can go wrong, as a lot Simpsons, Beavis and Butt-head, King of the Hill, etc, toys show. From seeing how often it goes wrong, or how some things have never appeared right in toy form, I have to think that it's not that easy.

Just been reading back through this thread. I can remember my excitement when I pre-ordered Kaneda & bike all those years ago.... and my disappointment when I had to cancel due to lack of funds :(

I've just gone mad and dropped $1000 on the bike, Kaneda & Tetsuo!

Can't wait for them to arrive. While I'm waiting I'm building a throne for Tetsuo!!

Back