Medicom Darth Maul

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love this photo Sean!! My fave that you took! Great eye and great photography
bro!!

15.jpg

:maul:maul:maul:maul:maul

Thanks Miles, as you can see, there is some texture, but you can also see in most of the photos, it doesn't show. Only under certain lighting does it show up much.

Definitely more apparent in the proto.

4362_press03-001.jpg

However, unlike Hot Toys' texture, you can see skin type patterns instead of generic texture, which is good. However, like I said, they need to work on exaggerating it just a bit so it'll show up more under other conditions, but if they can perfect it, the realism of their portraits will definitely improve. Funny that a character like Maul, who'd lend well to the stylistic approach of Medicom, is actually one of their more realistic looking humanoids I've seen.

That's the aggrivation of this figure. I always futz my figures to get them to my liking, like adding belly to Old Ben, who didn't need it but I did. I fixed some things on Boba and Jango to make them how I wanted. Most of the time, it's to tailor a figure to my vision of it, but with this Maul, what I did felt more like necessity than a personal choice. Alll the clothes fuzting in the world wasn't going to change the issues on this one. That's why I raise the question of the body as it feels different from the Fetts and the neck is significantly longer looking than other figures, it made me wonder if it was a matter of a different body being used. I find the neck has more articulation to it than the Fetts, so maybe that's what led to the long neck.

Thx to QQB for the tutorial i woulda never have known what to do exactly.
But NOW!Now it looks like i got a little REAL maul in front of me.Even without the futzing i woulda been more than happy with this one over the SS one.I don't normally do futzing,I've seen all these people do it with their SS figures and i really never felt the need besides just clothes futzin(But it was kinda fun)

Excellent pic MF

2.jpg

Last edited:
Something similar to this, like QQB did.

image2964.jpg

Yep, the downfall of the Medicom bodies.

Not to derail the thread but I had to do the same thing to the Medicom Ghost Rider back when that came out except I used some foam padding to fill out the body because the shoulders were so low. It looked like he was slouching!

dsc01091ot4.jpg

dsc01095qx1.jpg

I think I might end up picking up the Medi Maul thanks to Maulfan though!

Ya know i think it might be the black RAH body for some reason with the low shoulders.

(i like that kinda foam)

massive
301rahMASSIVE.JPG

regular
5005_1.jpg

Great work there MF, some of the best 'figure' photo's I've seen in a long time. Pity he needs so much futzing, but it paid off in those pics.
:maul

Thanks for all the great photos and discussion. I had cancelled my order from Sideshow in hopes to score one cheaper on eBay but now I do not even think I will try. Between the photos showing a thin, flat head, an unsightly neck joint that is to long and with the discriptions of quality in stichting and other issues, Medicom seems to have missed the mark on Maul :rotfl.

You can call it nit-picking but paying $150 gives us the right. Thanks again!!

crazy.

He is like a miniature person! I am very impressed. Nice shots MF. makes me all the more eager to get my hands on this guy.

15.jpg

As for the 'futzing' taking value from a figure, I will have to disagree. Its not like one would have to repaint or sew some new clothes. Just stuff some tissue and fluff some fabric. No big deal honestly.

The issue with the maul neck is the way the tailoring around the neck combined with the added shoulder muscle. Its unsightly but an easy fix. And I have always regarded the RAH 301 as the most realistically proportioned body of all 1/6ers. It may not have a super hero physique, but it can make a figure look like a real person in costume rather than a toy.

Great figure all in all.

My only issue with the RAH body is the build of the anatomy. It looks very human, Sideshow's new bodies come closest with HT being way off with the new True Type, but unfortunately I find in most cases, it's too slender of a body, it doesn't feel muscular at all. Sometimes it can be disguised by the costuming and isn't a big deal, like Wolverine and Jack Sparrow, but other times it's noticeable, like Jango Fett and Darth Vader, who both feel too skinny. The figures still look nice overall, but if you come to know the characters from the films by their body masses and all, you notice when a figure doesn't quite capture that. Maul, while a nice looking figure once you pad him up, still feels to skinny/tall for Ray Park.

crazy.

He is like a miniature person! I am very impressed. Nice shots MF. makes me all the more eager to get my hands on this guy.

As for the 'futzing' taking value from a figure, I will have to disagree. Its not like one would have to repaint or sew some new clothes. Just stuff some tissue and fluff some fabric. No big deal honestly.

The issue with the maul neck is the way the tailoring around the neck combined with the added shoulder muscle. Its unsightly but an easy fix. And I have always regarded the RAH 301 as the most realistically proportioned body of all 1/6ers. It may not have a super hero physique, but it can make a figure look like a real person in costume rather than a toy.

Great figure all in all.
Well said MM sums it up well.

crazy.

15.jpg

Great figure all in all.

I could eat that!

Maulfan, Amazing pics! How do you get the sabers to glow like that? In photoshop or another app? Is there a tutorial?
Awesome work!

Back