MEDICOM 1/6 Cowboy Bebop Spike Spiegel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snakebeater said:
rofl yeah I think so... BTW where did you get it kabuto? Thanks.

HAHAHAHAHA You always make me laugh SB -_^

I bought these in Akihabara when it first came out yrs ago.. I think you were still in JR high then and I was freshman college. Man I'm old..

Tendou-Kabuto said:
HAHAHAHAHA You always make me laugh SB -_^

I bought these in Akihabara when it first came out yrs ago.. I think you were still in JR high then and I was freshman college. Man I'm old..

lol... I see... well I just came back from trick or treatin' and I'm tired as hell... good candy though.. hehe

and when you go back, I seriously hope it's not terribley overpriced... like some US stores.... freaken comic store orbit wants 220 for the croc cap snake? what are you crazy or stupid?!??! maybe both!! It's local though..

snakebeater said:
lol... I see... well I just came back from trick or treatin' and I'm tired as hell... good candy though.. hehe

HAHAHAHAHA Cool man, Glad you had a good time. I'm just here playing the US ver of FFXII

snakebeater said:
and when you go back, I seriously hope it's not terribley overpriced... like some US stores.... freaken comic store orbit wants 220 for the croc cap snake? what are you crazy or stupid?!??! maybe both!! It's local though..

I will of course talk to you about the price before I buy anything on your behalf -_^ But yeah $220 for the Croc Snake is a LOT. Since those were released her by Diamond, you can generally find them pretty cheap. Like $120-150

gonna hit the hay.. got school tomorrow... and chemistry is a *****... Keep up the good work on the galleries kabuto... just amazing work you do there... GOOD NIGHT Kabuto!! GOOD NIGHT EVERYONE.

Tendou-Kabuto said:
Actually the Movie was just an excuse for Medicom to revise their Spike doll. The movie Spike looks like Spike from the TV series and movie. The Character designer is the same for the TV series and movie, there are no different versions of Spike. He looks the same and wears exactly the same clothes he does in the TV series as he does in the movie. Infact the Movie was just like a long TV episode with Theatrical camera angles anyway. The first release as you can see looks like it is sculpted in the style of the Lupin the 3rd dolls and does not look like Kawamoto's design. The 2nd Spike doll (Movie Ver) is how Spike looks in the TV series and movie. It is meant to be a General Spike Spiegel doll. Just Medicom fixing what they did wrong the first time.

There's a definite difference between the tv and movie Spike - if you look closely. I have a book that shows the evolution of the characters. Of course - because both versions have linking character design elements because they are the same character, but there is a difference.

The first figure has all the elements, but doesn't quite get them all in the right balance (probably because they used the Lupin style body?) - the hands are too big, head too big and not quite accurate.

But the Heaven's figure is distinctly the movie Spike - and an awesome figure.

tinister said:
There's a definite difference between the tv and movie Spike - if you look closely. I have a book that shows the evolution of the characters. Of course - because both versions have linking character design elements because they are the same character, but there is a difference.

The first figure has all the elements, but doesn't quite get them all in the right balance (probably because they used the Lupin style body?) - the hands are too big, head too big and not quite accurate.

But the Heaven's figure is distinctly the movie Spike - and an awesome figure.

Tin

I have every Bebop Illustration book and data book including the one you're talking about. The Evolution has more to do with the different stages of Spike in the story than it has to do with design. I think the difference you're speaking of has to do with the budget moreso than the character looking different. The increased amount of screentones, shades used in the movie itself may make it seem like there is a difference but Spike drawn lineart before color in movie and TV are the same. If you compare Pinup shots of Spike from the TV series and the movie there is pretty much no difference. Kawamoto redrew Spike for the movie as all anime characters get new lineart for feature films but there is no difference. Maybe there's some refinement there but the character looks exactly the same. The increased detail and screentones is more of a budget thing as a feature film would of course have a higher budget than a TV episode. After all, the Movie takes place Before the TV series ends. Spike is wearing the same exact thing in the movie also. If you look at TV shots of Spike and compare to the doll you will see that there is no difference. The head is the same, the clothes are the same, the proportion is the same and the colors are more or less the same. Everything is in the right place. Place 2 screenshots next to each other, one from the TV series and one from the movie. Aside from the color and detail differences because of the higher budget of the movie, there is no aesthetic difference in the actual design.

While The First Medicom has the elements of Spike there. It is a poor realization of Spike and is off in many areas. It's like saying the Southern Island FMA Ed Action Figure looks like Ed, Is it any good? No but you can tell it's supposed to be Ed and although it would be recognizable as that character, it is still a poor inaccurate realization. The first Medicom Spike is the same idea.

Last edited:
Tendou-Kabuto said:
My Offer to SB will be the same to you. when I go back home sometime at the end of the year If I see it for sale I'll pick it up for you and him if you guys haven't already bought it yet.
Sounds great! Just let me know the price before you purchase it! Thanks! :D

Tendou-Kabuto said:
Tin

I have every Bebop Illustration book and data book including the one you're talking about. The Evolution has more to do with the different stages of Spike in the story than it has to do with design. I think the difference you're speaking of has to do with the budget moreso than the character looking different. The increased amount of screentones, shades used in the movie itself may make it seem like there is a difference but Spike drawn lineart before color in movie and TV are the same. If you compare Pinup shots of Spike from the TV series and the movie there is pretty much no difference. Kawamoto redrew Spike for the movie as all anime characters get new lineart for feature films but there is no difference. Maybe there's some refinement there but the character looks exactly the same. The increased detail and screentones is more of a budget thing as a feature film would of course have a higher budget than a TV episode. After all, the Movie takes place Before the TV series ends. Spike is wearing the same exact thing in the movie also. If you look at TV shots of Spike and compare to the doll you will see that there is no difference. The head is the same, the clothes are the same, the proportion is the same and the colors are more or less the same. Everything is in the right place. Place 2 screenshots next to each other, one from the TV series and one from the movie. Aside from the color and detail differences because of the higher budget of the movie, there is no aesthetic difference in the actual design.

While The First Medicom has the elements of Spike there. It is a poor realization of Spike and is off in many areas. It's like saying the Southern Island FMA Ed Action Figure looks like Ed, Is it any good? No but you can tell it's supposed to be Ed and although it would be recognizable as that character, it is still a poor inaccurate realization. The first Medicom Spike is the same idea.

No need to get angry. That last paragraph in your response pretty much says that we are on the same page. The first figure is off in many ways and the second figure is more acccurate to Spike.

I understand that the movie budget allows for more colors and shading, etc - which goes into fleshing out Spike better than in the series. And that without the shading and the colors - the line drawings are technically the same.

IMO - the first figure is an abstraction of Spike that is pretty close to the tv series (but being far from perfect).. The second version (whether you want to look at it as a redo or not) - is simply a more detailed out version (details that came out in the movie because like you said - the wider range of colors and shading brought that detail out).

I don't think at any point did I say one figure was better than the other. I've pretty much said that there's no point in comparing the too.

tinister said:
IMO - the first figure is an abstraction of Spike that is pretty close to the tv series (but being far from perfect).. The second version (whether you want to look at it as a redo or not) - is simply a more detailed out version (details that came out in the movie because like you said - the wider range of colors and shading brought that detail out).

Spike looks the same in movie version and the TV version. There is no difference. It's a glossy Sunrise TV series with big screen shading.

https://www.sonypictures.com/cthe/cowboybebop/

Spike looks the same, Faye, Jet and Ed all look the same. Outside of the enhanced color pallete I don't see a difference.

tinister said:
No need to get angry. That last paragraph in your response pretty much says that we are on the same page. The first figure is off in many ways and the second figure is more acccurate to Spike.

I understand that the movie budget allows for more colors and shading, etc - which goes into fleshing out Spike better than in the series. And that without the shading and the colors - the line drawings are technically the same.

I don't think at any point did I say one figure was better than the other. I've pretty much said that there's no point in comparing the too.

Tin

I'm not angry, just felt the urge to reply. Sorry if I came off a bit agressive. Yrs of arguing on Gamefaqs and Killermovies would do that to you. It's Cool Tin I think you're a cool guy.

As for Spike, I own both figures and I am really not impressed with the 1st release, granted however figures of Spike are rarely outstanding and only a few would be considered good IMO. I think comparisons exist, because there are choices to buy and ppl want to buy the "better" one. In My opinion with the 2 Spikes, If we were to go for Kawamoto accuracy I'd say that the 2nd one is clearly better (which I think is what most ppl want) but as you say the design of the 1st one can be taken as a different perspective/expression and is not necessarily worse if you look from that perspective.

Reading your posts Tin, I can see you do your best to have an unbiased neutral view on things. You always do your best to have an open mind That is good because man I'll tell you, it's RARE.

No worries, TK :)

It's always easy to misread people's meaning over posts. I think we really pretty much agree on the figures.

If I could get the 2nd one - I'd do it in a heartbeat. The headsculpt on it alone kicks butt. I will eventually try to mimic that when I modify my copy of the 1st figure.

I think in general - it's tough to make a good figure of any character that is so stylized like the Spike - long skinny legs and all. But the second figure gets it pretty close.

Speaking of skinny figures - Do you have any of the Masker World Kamen Rider figures?

I have the Kamen and the Spider-man figures. They're pretty cool.

tinister said:
No worries, TK :)

It's always easy to misread people's meaning over posts. I think we really pretty much agree on the figures.

If I could get the 2nd one - I'd do it in a heartbeat. The headsculpt on it alone kicks butt. I will eventually try to mimic that when I modify my copy of the 1st figure.

I think in general - it's tough to make a good figure of any character that is so stylized like the Spike - long skinny legs and all. But the second figure gets it pretty close.

Speaking of skinny figures - Do you have any of the Masker World Kamen Rider figures?

I have the Kamen and the Spider-man figures. They're pretty cool.

Definetly show us your Custom Spike when you finish him -_^

I definetly agree with the Stylized character bit certain characters just seem tough to do in any form. I also think when it comes to clothed figures, a lot of it has to do with the fact that companies like to reuse what they have onhand to save money instead of making completely new parts, which is a big reason why the first Spike ended up with the wrong body. It's by luck that Medicom eventually decided that Spike was worthy enough to make a new body for (I wonder how many times Spike's body was actually used..) which improved his proportions and made the 2nd release more accurate. Personally I feel it would be great if every 1/6 anime/manga character had a unique base body to accurately portray them but obviously it seems rare and obviously too expensive for companies to consider doing all the time. Would be cool tho.

I have 3 of the Masker World figures, They are really nice and it's very cool to see the Original Manga interpretation of the riders in 1/6 figure form. I have Rider #1 and #2 and Cobra Otoko. I've always meant to buy myself a Kumo Otoko but was always Lazy, I'm sure he's pretty cool as well. One of these days..

There's something about the likeness of the first Medicom release that resembles Spike more accurately.
Maybe it's the expression.

But I don't own either figure and would be interested in seeing some more shots of the first Medicom release.
Anyone on here who could help out with a couple of pictures?
And for that matter, does anyone own the Dark Horse Bust?

Last edited:
I love Cowboy Bebop, Spike looks awesome! Maybe they'll do a Faye some day but not sure how her legs will look like...

Back