Maleficent PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No motion capture, just talent and pencil.

I think the main problem, aside from the skin color, is the eyes. They're too slanted. Forgive me for the piss poor photoshop attempt, but I think you'll see my point.

MaleficentSSF.jpg

IMO, that looks much more like Maleficent (aside from being bright green.)

great job, yours looks much better than Sideshow's

Personally, I think they should scrap both heads and the extra hand. Who care's where the finger is.

Then they should make just one good badass mean face and for the exclusive make one of Maleficient's little Goons. That would be awesome. There is no figurine or statue of those goons anywhere. That would have made this Maleficient special. In this case, two heads ain't better than one!

Wow, that color change is a huge improvement. I guess I'm in the "CHANGE THE COLOR!" camp now.

And that's with a very quick photoshop job, if the skin colour really was lighter and more screen accurate, it would look even better.

So yes Dave, if you can put the Word in, then now is the time, before production starts. Some minor sculpt improvements in the standard head wouldn't hurt either.

Truthfully...it needs more than a color change. The whole shape of the face/head is off and is lacking the depth and character the screen design possesses.

No motion capture, just talent and pencil.

I think the main problem, aside from the skin color, is the eyes. They're too slanted. Forgive me for the piss poor photoshop attempt, but I think you'll see my point.

MaleficentSSF.jpg

IMO, that looks much more like Maleficent (aside from being bright green.)

Wow that does make a big difference. Well done. I think the face still needs to be a touch thinner/longer to match film better. Hopefully Sideshow will consider tweaking the sculpt along with the obvious color issue.

I'm a huge fan of the Grand Jester busts, but haven't made the jump to the Disney PF's yet.

The busts are sculpted and painted by an actual Disney animator (Ruben Procopio) and I think that's why they seem to be looking more accurate.

Anyhoo, was hoping to make the jump to the PF's with Maleficent, but you all have been hitting the nail on the head...Just too many differences from the actual character.

Maybe next time!

I'm surprised because the sculpt does seems off, especially the exclusive. The regular is good enough to pass muster, but not as great as the first two. As for the color, I agree that the the lighter green looks better and more screen accurate. However I think when I've seen her in person they had that deeper shade of green. I could be mistaken though. Had I read the newsletter on Thursday I would have paid attention when I saw her on the stage show at Disney on Saturday. :lol I'm definitely going to pay more attention when I go back next time.

Thanks Waller. I wonder why they have her the darker green at the parks, and I wonder if Disney had a hand in Sideshow making her the darker color.

Well, that just about makes the PF look perfect.....

But even then, they still can't make up their minds. The lower chin and hands are a pale green, while the rest of the face is a more fuller green.

Add to that, instead of the more royal purple cloth, it's got that bright pink. All in all that's hideous, if the PF looked anything like that, I wouldn't even had put in a safety order.

So, once again, it needs to look like this:
Malifacent-sc.jpg

How come we never give these talented artists the benefit of the doubt? Do we all just think they are just plain stupid and don't know what they are doing and just make up their own sculpt and stuff? lol
Well, maybe in some cases, an artist is given a project that maybe he has no clue about, or doesn't know the source material at all.
But usually most people would at least research it and learn about it.

All these people have talent.
So who is to say that they didn't try it the way YOU want it and thought it should look exactly like the old movie?
What if they did try it, and doing so, it just didn't turn out and wasn't working well in real physical terms of what they had in mind for this PF.
It would be nice to learn from Sideshow themselves why this PF is the way it is.

Maybe going the pale route just kinda didn't make the 3D version of this stand out or something.
If you notice, that movie screen is quite faded looking.
But the PF is nice SOLID deep colors, that contrast each other. Deep black, the purple is more solid and deep and of course the skin color.

I understand that your point, but in my opinion, they should make a screen accurate Maleficent - not an artist's interpretation. I understand that some interpretation has to occur when making a 2D character into a 3D object, but the face and colors are, without a doubt, incorrect.

Last edited:
I get what your saying Sithlord, but at times I just think they go for what seems best, were what we want is accuracy.

I did a scan through the DVD, and the skin colour of the screen shot I posted, is pretty much how she looks and really, given the darker colours of the 'dress', a lighter skin tone would pop just as much, as the quick photoshop re-paint shows.

A classic example is the Galadriel PF and her ruby red lips. Everyone said it was wrong, they don't look anything like it in the film and yet the PF still shipped like that.
I've since seen re-painted versions of Galadriel, with the lips toned down to what they should be and it looks a lot better.

So, regardless of research, meetings, etc, sometimes Sideshow just get it wrong. I still believe this is one of those times.

Just got the Maleficent Grand Jester bust and it looks terrific...Much better likeness/pose than the PF preview pics IMO. But I'll save judgment until I see the PF in person!

The Ex PF is now sold out, with an ES of 350, bit higher then I was expecting frankly. If the main issues aren't fixed, I can totally se this going back up on second chance.

Back