1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. It just seems this figure was just out of wack from the pricing and offering from the beginning. Most were more forgiving of the pricing because of the stellar headsculpt in proto rationalizing that if sideshow was going to deliver on sculpt AND paint then it would be plausible to be around HT pricing. However we all know that did not get delivered to production. So that got us to where we are today, questioning the offering value.
Even if the sculpt came out like the prototype it still was never worth the $240 asking price. Compared to things like the Hot Toys farmboy Luke and even Sideshow's own Hoth Luke which both came with a considerable amount of accessories this figure was ridiculously overpriced from the start. The fact that they didn't deliver on the sculpt makes the price seem like even more of a joke.

Some high res pics of this figure are up at Jeditemplearchives.

Review_SCLukeSkywalkerRedFiveXwingPilot021.jpg

Review_SCLukeSkywalkerRedFiveXwingPilot015.jpg

Review_SCLukeSkywalkerRedFiveXwingPilot020.jpg

Full gallery here: Luke Skywalker (Red Five X-wing Pilot) - 1:6 Scale Figures Research Droids Reviews - JediTempleArchives.com

Some high res pics of this figure are up at Jeditemplearchives.

Full gallery here: Luke Skywalker (Red Five X-wing Pilot) - 1:6 Scale Figures Research Droids Reviews - JediTempleArchives.com

Thanks for the link. That's a lot of photos!

Noticing for the first time that the eyes have a gloss finish:

Review_SCLukeSkywalkerRedFiveXwingPilot015.jpg

Until they now they appeared matt.

They make note of it in their review:

The facial features are astounding. His eyes look completely real (as if there is real moisture in his eyes) and the likeness is better than good. Luke’s signature profile is totally distinguishable here from others and Sideshow’s sculptors did an amazing job to make it look as screen accurate as possible.

I think the figure looks ok. It should've come with more. The video review was a bit long, but ok. I just hope the member that posted it didn't take all the slaps and giggles the wrong way. It's obvious he was excited to share a piece of his collection. I don't really think the insults were necessary.

Really great to see the hi rez pictures, thanks for posting.

It really is a pretty good figure -- I think what still gets me most is the eye color and the hair sculpt/paintwork. Yes, the helmet and visor solves that, but I would prefer to pose him with helmet in hand.

I get this in tomorrow, the flight suit looks very good. the high res pics really show off how well the stitching and fit come through. Happy with that for certain. The eyes look like they have really dark paint circles for too much shadowing to bring out the eye detail. But glad to get a pilot Luke in the fold upgrade for head with HT farmboy luke or ST disguise.

But this is just bad. Sculpt is not even shaved/finished and the hair does look terrible.

I have been going back and forth over this figure. Ultimately sideshow decided for me by giving me another Batman with a loose body.

quick question though, an observation that I'm sure you guys have picked up on. Why the weathered helmet and the brand new squeaky clean flight suit? I think the flight suit is well made but not very star wars lived in?

quick question though, an observation that I'm sure you guys have picked up on. Why the weathered helmet and the brand new squeaky clean flight suit? I think the flight suit is well made but not very star wars lived in?

Because putting a helmet in a washing machine tends to make an annoying clanking sound. :wink1:

ANH_HD_LukeXwingHero01.jpg

I noticed the flashing on the hands but never on the face. Shame. That should definitely not be there on top of everything else. And just when I was warming up to this figure...

I noticed the flashing on the hands but never on the face. Shame. That should definitely not be there on top of everything else. And just when I was warming up to this figure...

That's why Sideshow provide the helmet. They even put it on him in the factory to save us the trouble. :lol

nice LOL very droll

fair enough, screen accurate :)

Kind of accurate - but don't get the aficionados started on the weathering pattern. :chase

That's why Sideshow provide the helmet. They even put it on him in the factory to save us the trouble. :lol

I know, I think I said that above, between the hair, eyes and now the un-removed flashing, the helmet becomes as functional as it is necessary.

Problem is, I would like to pose this figure holding said helmet. But I don't think that is an option. The times this figure has looked good is with helmet on only.

Given that the neckline is covered they might have been better off having a sculpted head/neck like HT Bespin or Kenobi, not a huge fan of the extra piece of neck on the head sculpt. Doesn't seem like SS does that anymore though. That flashing (learned a new word!) on the jawline is pretty bad.

X-wing Luke arrived at Minas Miami today. Regular version, here.

*** Disclaimer: I have always wanted an "X-wing Luke" figure in my collection.

Here's my first impression and a quick review of the figure:

1. The shipping and figure boxes are really compact compared to the usual SS figure releases. It immediately gives the impression that not much is included.

2. Removing the figure from the plastic clamshells only reinforces the fact that the figure is bare-bones when it comes to accessories.

3. The figure stand/base is very cool. It definitely looks good and provides a "Yavin 4" look to the figure being displayed. Would have been great if there was a fuel hose, lighting effects or other small detailing added to expand on the display potential.

4. The figure itself looks fantastic. There is no denying that it's Luke Skywalker in the X-wing pilot outfit. I wanted to display Luke bare-headed and holding his helmet and based on the previously posted pics, had trepidations about it looking good. But once set up, it's definitely the way it will stay displayed for me.

5. Head sculpt looks good. THIS was my main concern and my fears proved unwarranted, for the most part. It may not have the Hot Toys paint apps but it really is a huge improvement on previous SS paint apps. There's no "suntan" on mine. The tone is fine and the detailed paint is subtle. The eyes are well done. The hair piece could use some blonde highlights to lighten it up a bit but it's not a big deal as is. Do make sure to adjust it as far forward as possible. It really does help the look of the sculpt.

6. Outfit is fantastically detailed and HT would have a hard time improving on it.

7. Helmet is really nice. The clam-shell design works well. I too thought that it was unwarranted over-engineering and perhaps so, as it probably would have been easier (though probably more costly) to simply include two sculpts; one with the helmet and one without. But the design doesn't detract from the detailing or look of the helmet. No real issue here.

8. 5 gloved hands and 1 and a half hair pieces. That's it for accessories. (the helmet is part of the outfit, as far as I'm concerned.) Extremely bare-bones and a few extra hands wouldn't have broken the bank. The glove/hands do look great and perhaps HT could have taken a lesson from SS on how to design the same for their Vader figure... :wink1:
I was hoping to have "10" breakdowns but the figure doesn't come with much... ...and that is what leads me to my last observation.

This figure really does look fantastic on display. I was initially going to pass on it due to the pricing but took the plunge when I was able to order it for roughly $40 less through the Timewalker Toys sale. I still feel a little bothered with the fact that it comes with so little accessories. The argument for that may be that it's "X-wing Luke" and he didn't have much in accessories in those scenes. That may indeed be true, but SS could have at least lowered the pricing or provided a super-detailed stand/base to justify the higher price point. Final analysis for me is that I finally have a very good X-wing Luke in my collection. Terry, you were right, my friend... ;)

Here are a few pics:

image11.jpg

image12.jpg

image15.jpg

image17.jpg

Glad you like him that much FlyandFlight! I have the same affection for pilot luke. When I was growing up i would purchase every 3 3/4 version of very few figures. Sandtrooper, Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, Boba Fett and X-wing luke. So it has a special place for me as well. Ready to get it tomorrow and see what i can see.:yess:

Its crazy in just one box how many recent HT/Sideshow figures I have stored together in 3 3/4. Pretty amazing actually for the timing of popularity then and now. I was moving some stuff in storage and actually found Luke tonight. We have came a long way baby since 1995. Also notice "Brown Coat Han FTW!) haha....

Card back is actually a flipped/inverted pic of Luke xwing.

Some of the rest....

X-wing Luke arrived at Minas Miami today. Regular version, here.

*** Disclaimer: I have always wanted an "X-wing Luke" figure in my collection.

Here's my first impression and a quick review...

Good review and pics, thanks.

Mine should be here this week, looking forward to seeing it in person. Like you I have always wanted an X wing Luke.
I should be able to post pics of the HT head in the helmet too, if anyone still wants to see that.

Back