LotR 12" Figures is new license!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Check out the holiday surprise box now! It's 12" LotR figures! The figures will be $50 - $75 it says! Let the speculation of the first figure begin! :D

Yup, just saw it.

Good news for those who collect 12" figures. These should also be very close in scale with the Sideshow/WETA pieces.

I bet the first figure will be either Aragorn, Gandalf, or Frodo (not likely because a new body would be needed). I guess it could be Boromir to go with the 1/4 Lurtz :rolleyes:

I'm going to be broke from now on because of both Star Wars and LotR 12" figures from Sideshow!

That's a pleasant surprise! Who says LOTR is dead??? :D

Cheap alternatives to those who can't afford the LOTR PF perhaps?

I've been waiting for this... and really thrilled, but my freakin' wallet!!! This will extend interest in the LOTR statues and 1/4 PF and I think it is good news to those with extensive statue collections. I will have to work overtime a lot more to support this crack habit. Just when I was about to pare down and concentrate on select pieces. Anyway, I'm looking forward to putting together diaroma scenes if possible of the figures. I am praying sideshow releases them at reasonable intervals and they don't all ship in July and August.

I'm stoked personally!! I can add even more LOTR goodies to my collection and know they are coming from one of the best companies on the planet!!

Great News!!! :banana :joy :clap :fest :elefant

I kind of figured than LOTR was the new announcement since Toy Biz's license to make LOTR figures ends at the end of '05.

I can already see the backlash from the $50-75 price range. :rolleyes: I don't mind paying more for a high quality figure but I know some people are more picky than me. :rolleyes: Hopefully this means SS will go all out with the figures. An armored figure like Aragorn, Gimli, or Boromir would cost a lot of money to make a decent 1/6 figure. I'd rather pay more for a high quality figure than pay less for a subpar figure like the DID LOTR figures.

Sideshow Collectibles Allies with New Line Cinema To Create 12-inch Figures from The Lord of the Rings
Westlake Village, CA (December 25, 2005) - The many heroic and indelible characters who populated The Lord of the Rings film series, are also among the most familiar and cherished images in Hollywood history. Sideshow Collectibles, a specialty manufacturer of iconic television and film collectibles, in association with New Line Cinema, is currently producing a line of Lord of the Rings Premium Format figures. This 1:4 scale figure line follows a very successful Lord of the Rings collectibles line, created when Sideshow Collectibles partnered with award winner effects studio, WETA workshop, to produce more than 180 high-end, collectable statues, busts, and helms. Sideshow Collectibles has worked closely in the past with New Line Cinema on licensed 12-inch figures from New Line's House of Horror, including such films as Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And, starting in second-quarter 2006, Sideshow Collectible's own Lord of the Rings range will expand to include 12-inch figures from the landmark film series.

The adventures and exploits of Frodo, Aragorn, Gandalf, and their allies and enemies became touchstones of modern literature when first conceived by author J.R.R. Tolkien in The Lord of the Rings. Three landmark film adaptations from New Line Cinema won 17 Academy Awards(R) and introduced Tolkien's incomparable vision to a vast new audience of devotees. Sideshow Collectibles' line of 12-inch Lord of the Rings figures is sure to be as sought after as their other collectible figure lines.

Sideshow's 12-inch posable figures feature more than 30 points of articulation. The figures will combine intricate, layered costuming, action-oriented body poses, and will come fully equipped with weapons, shields, and other authentic accessories. The 12-inch figure line will be available in collectible and specialty stores worldwide, as well as directly through the Sideshow Collectibles website, www.sideshowcollectibles.com. The 12-inch figures will retail for approximately $50 to $75.

woo hoo! but ouch. Sideshow PLEASE dont make alot to fast, my wallet going to die on me. I mean 1/6 star wars, Lotr, Angel,1/4 scales Oh my!:google :horror

Last edited:
action-oriented body poses

That line sounds like it's from the 1/4 scale press release rather than the 12" line. I assume they'll be just like all the other 12" figures.

I think it would be great if one of the first figures is a hobbit so we can see that they'll be able to pull off the smaller body. We know the human characters will look great, but I think some people might hold off from the line if they don't believe they'll get some great hobbits as well.

Sideshow, gave us an early surprise, it seems, by two to four hours. I thought I was actually viewing the new 12" announcement page an hour early too before coming here with the thought I may be the first to break the news. Oh,well. Thanks, Sideshow for the early present. I imagine many customers will be thrilled. It also compels me a little more to make the time to finally view the films myself. I still have a lot of DVDs to go through, though, some many, many months old.

I'm still waiting for Sideshow to update their body gallery. I'm eager to see what they will do in this line and how it relates to others, such as smaller bodies.

I don't know......:slap I've got 140 SSW (1/6th scale) LotR items, then when I'm out of room, they want to come out with the 1/4 scale premium format figures (I hope there not dolls). Okay....no room, scale issue with displaying with my 1/6 statues. Now 12" figures (barbie dolls?) I don't think I'll be getting any of these. Why diden't they just do more 1/6th statues that we are short, (Faramir, Denethor, Eomer, etc.) ? :banghead

Wow, SS is really going for it!!
I have already been making heartbreaking decisions to cut back on certain LOTR stuff and Star Wars PF figures to make way for 1:1 scale busts and the 12"inch figure line. Now they do this :horror Looks like I will have to seek a life of crime and get a bigger flat.:banghead

Thanks to Jlcmsu and Migwit for the warm welcome. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the sculpts on these. They are going to blow. No offence but , Sideshow sculptors are going to make likenesses so much better than what has been seen previously. The only bitchin I can foresee is loose joints from time to time. I also think it will be about time the costume creators get some acknowledgement on the packaging. They are going to be working overtime.

First of all, welcome to the board CookieMonster! Lost your cookie in the disco eh? :rolleyes:

About the smaller bodies for Hobbits. Are there in between bodies aswell? Because there's also the case of Gimli. He's bigger then a Hobbit, but smaller then Humans. And if they plan on doing Goblins, they also have about the same size as a Dwarf. And Orcs come in all sizes. So they must have a pretty wide range of bodies for them.

Bet Gandalf the Grey is the first figure.

Great news imo, I won't collect this as heavily as Star Wars 12" but I'm in for most of the fellowship.

I'm totally thrilled about this (although my credit card is feeling a little anxious!) I can't wait to see the look of these figures. I was feeling quite sad about all the LOTR lines coming to an end, but now there are all these new goodies coming out, and I'm over the moon. Although I may have to have a serious rethink about exactly what I'm going to collect from now on. My house is just not that big!

This is fantastic news but gives me a major financial headache, something needs to be dropped from my list.

SW PF
LOTR PF
SW 12"
LOTR 12"
MARVEL PF
MR SW BUCKETS
PREDATOR MAQUETTE

Back