Looking for a few good men: 1/6 Aliens USCM BDUs redux ..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

men-at-arms

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi There~!

My name is Steve and I live & work in Hong Kong, and call Honolulu, HI my home base. My screen name is MEN-AT-ARMS aka. MAA, and I made the last Aliens Colonial Marines BDU sets available from EVA MODELS, which has been sold out for quite some time.

We recently made two sets on a custom basis for a collector who traded an 1/6 item with me. Since that time people have been contacting me to make more 1/6 USCM BDUs. Ultimately, I caved in and decided to gear up for another run.

This is a sign up thread for gathering a minimum group of thirty (30) interested parties to split the cost for a new run of 1/6 scale BDUs for Aliens USCM Colonial Marines.

These will be the improved versions (2nd pattern) which are rommier and more accurate than the 1PAT we made for EVA MODELS:
6th_BDU_NEW_Front.gif

MMA.jpg

OneSixCamoCover2.jpg

So, the run of thirty pieces MINIMUM will include one of each of the above, namely:

- 1/6 x ALIENS USCM BDU tunic
- 1/6 x ALIENS USCM BDU trousers
- 1/6 x ALIENS USCM helmet cover

You will be able to specify male or female sizing (based on HOTTOYS sizes).

The price each set: US$35.00 only plus applicable actuall postage Airmail registered (US bound $4.50 & UK bound $5.00 for up to two (02) sets shipped, other locations will vary slightly).

Once we have reached our minimum target for sign-ups, the threads will be kept opened for additional sign ups. Interested parties can get more than 1 set, and there won't be a limit for maximum sets a person can order. So, feel free to sign up. Once the threads are closed -- we will commence collecting the pre-payments in full before the run can begin.

Since this will be a new from-ground-up run, we will start from fabric printing, then go to sewing. ETA for the entire process from start to finish is estimated at 4~6 weeks approximately. Your pre-payments are refund guaranteed, should we fail to deliver the goods as above. However, once an order is placed and payment collected -- there are no refunds for this run, due to the minimum required and the custom order nature of the run by sharing the cost of fabric printing.

We already have a running start on this project, because a mirror interest thread has already been in effect for several weeks on an Aliens forum and OSW, as below (interested parties please copy & paste the group then add your name, as well as number of sets you wish to order).

If you have any more questions, please PM me ..

Thanks~!

FIDO x 1 {$5 shipped EU}
Cpl. Shepard x 3 {$6.50 combined shipped}
Spellbinder x 2 {$5 shipped to Oz}
Cpl. Smith x 1
Hollis dzc x 3
Cpl Potter x 1
Doc x 2
The Great Shaggy x 5 (Male 3, Female 2) {$10 combined shipped}
Lieutenant Dan x 2 {$5 shipped UK}
Valken x 6 (Male 4, Female 2) {$12 combined shipped}
Eriks x 1
Spook_Nukem x 2

Total: 29 sets
Target: 30 sets minimum
{minus 1 to go for run to commence!}

BTW -- shipping costs are out: Airmail registered US Bound $4.50, UK Bound $5 (up to two sets combined). + $2 for 3 sets combined. Above 4 set at $2 per set (ex: 4 sets = $8, 7 sets = $14). Other locale may vary slightly. Tnx~!

Last edited:
Re: Looking for a few good men: 1/6 USCM BDUs redux ..

you can add me to the list! x1

Thanks, Elvis ..with you +1 .. we're official pending when collecting payments starts, which will be when the thread(s) closes. We're extending the thread(s) to pick-up as many as possible for the run. ;)

FIDO x 1 {$5 shipped EU}
Cpl. Smith x 1
Hollis dzc x 3
Cpl Potter x 1
Doc x 2
Eriks x 1
Spook_Nukem x 2
elvis1976 x 1

Total: 30 sets
{we are GO for run to commence!}

Hi again, Steve!

I like to order 1 set of 1:6th USCM BDU + USCM Helmet Cover and 1 set of Female USCM BDU

FIDO x 1 {$5 shipped EU}
Cpl. Smith x 1
Hollis dzc x 3
Cpl Potter x 1
Doc x 2
Eriks x 1
Spook_Nukem x 2
elvis1976 x 1
George Chay x 1 (Male 2, Female 1)

Total: 32 sets

{For your reference, here's an old article on reviewing existing BDUs from SFM (PLEASE NOTE -- test results may not be scientific or un-biased .. ;)}

In the ebb & flow of ALIENS collectibles -- we fans are currently experiencing a flow (or is it an ebb ?). We're getting bombarded with all kinds of Colonial Marine action figures up the wazu, whereas in the ebb years .. there were few choices (how about one .. the venerable EVA MODELS run by SFM member FNG USCM) if you wanted to put together your very own 1:6 scale 12 inch articulated action figure and have that Marine looking good.

Well, SFM has gathered up all the various 1/6 scale Marines in their battle dress best (sans M3 body armor and pulse rifle of course. Those don't come out until actual combat is required), and ran our own side-by-side shoot out. May the best Marine win .. :p

BDUSixth1.gif

Contestant No.1, hails from Lexington, KY, 38 and single, say hello to Gunnery Sergeant Clooney. Gunny wears 1/6 USCM BDU's by EVA MODELS, elegantly appointed by a tan web belt with a silver closed face WWII-VN type buckle from the U.S. Army (courtesy of DML). Gunny Clooney's boots are Vietnam War era 2nd pattern jungle boots with Vibram soles & ankle reinforcement stitchig in the nylon uppers by Toy Soldiers. His weapon is an Ithaca M37 full length trench shotty, a Marine favorite beginning from WWI (also by Toy Soldiers). The Gunny's insignia patches are a mix of EVA and MAA's very own HP-3110 ink-jet printer on fabric paper. What a guy .. I mean what a Gunny that Clooney. :lol:

BDUSixth8.gif

Contestant No. 2 goes by the name of Kyle Reese to some, and Dwayne Hicks to others. Say hello to HOT TOYS' very own Tech Sergeant Reese/Corporal Hicks. Hicks is 29 and his hometown is Anniston, Alabama, a southern gent to be certain. The lone official representative of a major toy company tonight, Corporal Hicks wears his yellow-ish variation of HT's USCM BDU's (of which there is another browner variation that comes with HT's Apone & Vasquez). His web belt comes with a standard snap buckle, oddly the same type that are used for webbing has been pressed into holding up pants by HOT TOYS. Way to go, HT! The corporal is sporting a pair of the largest jungle boots made yet in 1/6 scale, that are made of a hard vinyl-like substance un-known to most manufacturers, which have to be dipped in scolding hot water before the Corporal's feet (often removed by its peg from the legs) can be placed into them; the Nam boots are made with Panama soles, which would indicate that they are supposed to represent 3rd pattern jungle boots. Hick's weapon is a nifty pistol handle M870 Remington shorty riot shot gun .. an odd duck of a choice for an odd duck from an odd toy company. Makes perfect sense to me. :p

BDUSixth9.gif

Our last contestant of the evening is our sole contingent of the UKCM. He is 43, happily married ... originally from London, England, but living now in low income tax haven -- Switzerland (land of neutrality & cheese) -- say "Good Evening" to Sergeant Major Caine. The Sergeant Major wear the latest USCM BDU's from an un-known manufacturer in Hong Kong (but is loosely assoicated with BBi's on-line collectible line like Cyber Hobbies who put out the young Sean Connery SAS Bren gunner box set) -- these BDU's are our most inexplicable of the evening as it is made in a strange mix of colors, which happens to closely resemble the colors found in my on-line signature:

SFMsig.jpg

WHOA ! How did that happen ? I still can't figure it out. Anyways. S.M. Caine's BDU's come with a nicely made modern tactical weight bearing type web belt in OD color that are of a very large gauge of webbing, which co-incidentally -- match the oversized belt loops made for those BDU pants. As you move to lower parts -- it seems not much attention is paid to details, as the uniform (a complete lack of any USCM insignia patches), BBi body and expressive though strange headsculpt, come with desert colored boots. Nevermind though .. as this release seems to be an after-thought as the set came wrapped in clear plastic bags then taped up and placed into Hong Kong retail shops (most of the stock is getting parted out as loosies). Since the company failed to supply a weapon, SFM has gladly furnished the old Sergeant Major with that most favorite Marine weapon of all times .. The Sharp Stick! :p

BDUSixth10.gif

The original HS that came with the un-known USCM BDU release from Hong Kong:

K9a_Small.gif

Getting back to the shoot out ..

Let's rate the BDU's starting with Contestant No. 1 -- Gunny Clooney's EVA MODEL's BDU's .. the oldest BDU's made among the three tonight (2003) are showing their aged design from that era of toy uniforms. A pity that the local manufacturer who handled the production for EVA (me or MAA) had no previous experience doing BDU's in 1/6 scale back in 2003, and the local tailors who sewn the uniforms were making these in a big hurry so they can finish up and move out of the city -- an additional panel across the back of the BDU shirt was omitted (this was clearly drawn in the paper pattern for the tailors) -- decreasing the accuracy by a degree. Too bad really. Secondly, the pan legs may be a bit short (can be addressed by letting the hem of the legs out) -- probablly due to shrinkage of the cotton fabric though as the BDU's were all washed before being delivered to EVA. Finally, the sleeves on the shirt were made rather tight (the same minute shrinkage problem), making roll-ups an operation that must be done by either un-doing the stitching or a direct cut made to the sleeves to start the roll. All of these things -- I think if the producer had to do them again -- would have been done better. Oh, well .. at least (or more importantly) -- EVA MODEL's USCM BDU's feature the best & most accurate colors of the three types tested, and it is the only BDU made in a 100% cotton twill fabric just like the 1:1 screen used BDU's. Amen! :roll:

BDUSixth2.gif

BDUSixth5.gif

Contestant No.2's HOT TOYS' BDU's represent the later of the two types of USCM BDU from HT -- the ones that came with Apone & Vasquez are of a browner (MAA 1PAT BDU-like) shades, and also cut differently. The Hick HT BDU's are yellower in shading, which I guess would make it more accurate versus the brown ones. However, the colors are not very close to the 1:1 screen used colors of the USCM camouflage BDU. Also, a close examination reveals the following in-accuracies in cutting:

1. The Mandarin collars are much to high and wears on Hicks like a preppy high school student who flipped his Ralph Lauren Polo shirt collar up.

2. There is a bizarre top button at the collar.

3. The shirt/pants sizes are huge and would wear very loose on non-HT figures, which tend to be the tallest if not the most muscular (a bad thing in action figures).

4. The BDU pants features inner flap inside the fly which is snapped down, way over-engineered for someone who doesn't need to use the toilet.

5. The seat position on the BDU pants are re-inforced like U.S. Army BDU's, a fictional adaptation for the purpose of ?

6. The insignia patches on HT Apone & Vasquez BDU's are also a HT fiction created by HT.

7. The fabric used is a weave type and not twill.

BDUSixth3.gif

BDUSixth6.gif

HT pants has re-inforced panels on the seat. Fly has an inner flap which extends out with another snap towards the right hip pocket. Signs of over-design that are not necessary & not accurate to USCM BDU's.

BDUSixth11.gif

Below is HT's brownish version from Vasquez, featuring the same re-inforced seating and extended flap and snap down on the fly of the pants. Looks great, and sure to function great too if only these 1/6 Marines march daily and fall on their arses or need to take a leak and didn't want their tucked in shirt tails hanging out of their fly after they are done going to the toilet. These features also throw off the accuracy of the cutting of the BDU's into new territories un-known previously:

BDUSixth12.gif

Contestant No.3's version of the USCM BDU's do not come with insignias of any sort. The coloration of the camouflage is suspect at best and looks to be a guess (possibly influenced by MAA's signature in on-line forums). The belt loops are huge. They are issued with desert colored boots. They come with wrong colored web belt of the wrong gauge. The cargo pockets on the pants are too short/squarish. The Mandarin collars were cut too square on the corner. The UN-KNOWN BDU's also take a short-cut in manufacturing to achieve the the roll-up sleeves -- they cut the sleeves then took a small length of the sewn sleeves, inverted the bits and fitted them over the shorten sleeve ends. So, if you wanted your figure to wear the BDU shirt with sleeves un-rolled .. you can't with these. Lastly, like the HT BDU's -- the fabric used by UN-KNOWN is a weave type and not twill (lack of slanted lines in the fabric).

BDUSixth4.gif

BDUSixth7.gif

SCORING (all out of possible 10 points for each category)

EVA MODEL's 1/6 Scale USCM BDU's:

- Accuracy in cutting...........................: 7
- Accuracy in coloration.......................: 9
- Fit to action figure.............................: 7
- Overall quality feel ...........................: 7
- Value/Price/Availability.................: 10

OVERALL Score .................................: 40

HOT TOYS' 1/6 Scale USCM BDU's (yellowish Hicks' version):

- Accuracy in cutting..........................: 7
- Accuracy in coloration......................: 7
- Fit to action figure............................: 7
- Overall quality feel ......................: 10
- Value/Price/Availability....................: 6

OVERALL Score .................................: 37

UN-KNOWn HONG KONG 1/6 Scale USCM BDU's:

- Accuracy in cutting..........................: 7
- Accuracy in coloration......................: 6
- Fit to action figure.........................: 10
- Overall quality feel...........................: 9
- Value/Price/Availability....................: 7

OVERALL Score .................................: 39

The above represents an honest evaluation of each BDU types, where maximum consdieration was given to each product's strengths, and their weaknesses critiqued without holding back (that's self-criticism in EVA's case for me). After the evaluation -- I'd have to give the thumbs up to EVA MODEL's. Despite my association with the manufacuting of its 1/6 BDU's, I sincerely make this recommendation without prejudice & favortism. The main reasons would be:

1. Accuracy in coloration.
2. Lean & tidy look & fit for clean Marine profile.
3. Affordability/Availability.

I just like the overall tidy look 1/6 scale Colonial Marines have while wearing EVA MODEL's BDU's versus the other two brands. I would rank UN-KNOWN from Hong Kong as a close second, on the strength of its fit & finish, despite its inaccurate coloration (worse off than HT's). The HOT TOYS' BDU's mostly looks okay while on a HOT TOYS figure, which stands about a 1/4 inch taller than other brands. Also, since HT does not sell accessories or replacement uniform -- the only way you can buy HT BDU's loose is by sniping for them on eBay most likely, which makes the availability & price highly iffy. Lastly, there are just way too many bizarre over-design errors made by HT for me to take a liking to them. Of note -- while the HT boots are laced up -- they might be the worst among the three due to the extremely inflexible material used to mould them. If one can paint UN-KNOWN's desert colored rubberize moulded jungle boots to green and black -- those would beat HT's boots hands down also. Besides -- it's easy & cheap to convert moulded boots to lace ups (we'll be doing a set to show you later). :eek:

I think had we some experience at the onset of taking on that project for Chris .. it would have been a blow-out rout of a contest here against the likes of HOT TOYS & UN-KNOWN. We didn't think our end product necessarily had the best fit & finish, and we made some inaccuracy (though we did specified the panel on the back of the shoulders to the tailors -- they ignored it once they went to sewing the uniforms). Luckily, none of EVA MODEL's USCM BDU's flaws were fatal (the sleeves & pant legs can be remedied by letting the stitiching out). The tighter dimensions led away from a loose fit e.g. the HOT TOYS' version, to a lean & mean slender fit for a proper & clean looking Marine profile. The product we put out is still superior for the above reasons, though the competition have had the advantages of budget & time to beat it. So far .. IMHO .. no one has yet. ;)

Put me down for 3x male and 1x female.

Edit: Also, just out of curiosity, how will the patches be handled?

Okay, you got it, Alice.

badhatharry said:
Hi there

I'm inerested in 2 male set's of these BDU's so is it possible to be added for 2. I'm in the UK and look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards

Martyn

Yes of course! We have UK buyers already. You are added.

1/6 USCM PATCHES
About patches, everyone who needs them will be able to get some. There are two ways we can do these.

Method A: would be the easy & low cost way -- that will involve yours truly using already professionally done previously artwork on Adobe Illustrator then using a HP ink-jet printer to print them out on A4 fabric paper, then use 3M fabric protector to make them semi-water proof. These can be fabric glued or sewn. I don't have a cost for this method yet, but let's say 1/4 of one A4 sheet may yield enough to outfit al least 10 Colonial Marines. We woluld try to keep the cost to something like under 10 USD.

Method B: would involve sending the artwork to a clothing accessories manufacturer, the same source we used to make full size patches in the past, then doing a small run on a minimum basis (should be something like 300 sets, and we would wind up with something like 85% leftover stock). But the result would be tremendously accurate, as each 1/6 patch would have raised borders as you see with 1:1 patches that have merrowing or embrodered borders. I haven't any exact figures as to what that would cost each sheet. Each patch would come with self-adhesive backing too. But let's say it might be something like $12 ~ 15 USD per sheet {one sheet might be enough for 50 sets of BDUs though).

But when the BDUs are ready to be delivered, we will have these two methods discussed and weighed, then choose to make one of them available for all. Please keep in mind that Method B, although would yield fabulous looking patches in 1/6 scale, is going to require another minimum (to be calculated, but let's say at least 30 buyers) sign-up of committed buyers just to make it happen just like these BDUs & covers. ;)

FIDO x 1 {$5 shipped EU}
Cpl. Smith x 1
Hollis dzc x 3
Cpl Potter x 1
Doc x 2
Eriks x 1
Spook_Nukem x 2
elvis1976 x 1
George Chay x 2 (Male 1, Female 1)
Alice x 4 (Male 3, Female 1)
badhatharry x 2

Total: 38 sets

Last edited:
Cpl.Shepard said:
can I change one of my sets to the female set? one's for my vasquez.

Sure thing ..

FIDO x 1 {$5 shipped EU}
Cpl. Shepard x 3 {Male 2, Female 2, $6.50 combined shipped}
Cpl. Smith x 1
Hollis dzc x 3
Cpl Potter x 1
Doc x 2
Eriks x 1
Spook_Nukem x 2
elvis1976 x 1
badhatharry x 2

Total: 38 sets

We'll leave this open for another week or so then close the thread(s) and begin collection for the pre-payment by end of September to see if we can kick start first thing in October. Tnx~!;)

Mudshark said:
At the moment I'm thinking 3 male and 2 female sets, shipped to Japan. Please add my name to the list. Thx!

FIDO x 1 {$5 shipped EU}
Cpl. Smith x 1
Hollis dzc x 3 (Male 2, Female 1)
Cpl Potter x 1
Doc x 2
Eriks x 1
Spook_Nukem x 2
elvis1976 x 1
badhatharry x 2
spaceout x 5
Grawnday x 2 (Female 2)
formica99 x 5 (Male 4, Female 1)
Mudshark x 5 (Male 3, Female 2)
Jediguy x 5 (Male 4, Female 1) *

Total: 60 sets
Female: 15 sets
Spares 10%: 5 sets

Total: 60 sets to be produced (of which 5 sets are spares).

Thanks for participating -- I will be emailing everyone their PayPal payment information. I estimate it will take up to 10 days to two weeks to get everyone collected. There after I will be at the clothmen's to print the new 1/6 cloth, and when that's done -- there will be a looksy here in the thread. Stay tuned to updates on payment collection then the first step. ;)

Last edited:
Update --

I think I've either EM or PM everyone on this board who has indicated interest with the payment details .. if you signed up (or think you've sign up) on this thread AND did not receive payment info. then please PM me ..

Anyone interested and is just reading this now -- it's not too late (and won't be till we start sewing) to get on the queue, so PM me if you want in ..

On patches: again there's 2 ways to make patches. One is with a ink-jet and fabric paper, which I believe was the way Chris C. did his. The other is to have them manufactured. I didn't get a chance for quotes yet. When I do I will LYGK here in the thread even how much it would cost for ink-jet printed.

Tnx! ;)

1. badhatharry x 2 (Male 2), $5, UK, Paid In Full

FIDO x 1 {$5 shipped EU}
Cpl. Smith x 1
Cpl Potter x 1
Doc x 2
Eriks x 1
Spook_Nukem x 2
elvis1976 x 1
spaceout x 5
Grawnday x 2 (Female 2)
Jediguy x 5 (Male 4, Female 1) *

Total: 60 sets

Delivery order:
1. badhatharry x 2 (Male 2), $5 UK, +
2. Lieutenant Dan x 2 (Male 2), $5 UK, +
FIDO x 1 {$5 shipped EU}
Cpl. Smith x 1
Cpl Potter x 1
Doc x 2
Eriks x 1
Spook_Nukem x 2
elvis1976 x 1
spaceout x 5
Grawnday x 2 (Female 2)
Jediguy x 5 (Male 4, Female 1), *

NOTE:
+ denotes paid in full
* deposit

Total: 60sets

Last edited:
MAA,

1. Any chance you might have these made in 3-Pat camo some time in the not too distant future? Those would provide the ultimate SA look for our 1:6 marines.

2. Since I already have several sheets of EVA patches I got from Chris before, I'm very interested in the 'Method B' you mentioned, especially if the lettering and colors would be as clear, crisp, and bright as the 1:1 patches you had silkscreen printed for the 3-Pat BDUs. My concern is how well the fine lettering and other minute details would reproduce using the B method. Care to comment?

About the only thing I'm looking into is the feasibility of making the 1/6 armor in aluminum ..:naughty To do a 3PAT raising the accuracy level -- only thing I can think of are working buttons on the shirt and zips on the pants. These can be done, but may raise the per set cost quite a bit.

On the resolution issue of 1/6 scale factory made patches -- I know like the "USS SULACO" on the arch would definitely show clearly, "USCM" on the Screaming Eagle for sure, may be not all the stars but roughly. But things like "9th Regiment" may indeed be a bit fuzzy. But these would have to be confirmed during the quote process for the made patches (Option B) when I bring the digitzed artwork to the patchmen.

Stay tuned to that~!

BTW -- we have to get to that stage first by printing the cloth. So everyone who signed up .. we're calling for your pre-payments now, as it is month end too. So hopefully we get a surge of payments in soon. ;)

BBTW -- I'm new around here but been around the ALIENS scene for years. So if anyone needs trade references, PayPal profile, eBay profile to jump into this fearlessly, PM me. Mudshark is actually a trade reference already. Cheers~! ;)

Delivery order:
1. badhatharry x 2 (Male 2), $5 UK, +
2. Lieutenant Dan x 2 (Male 2), $5 UK, +
3. The Great Shaggy x 5 (Male 3, Female 2), $10 US, +

FIDO x 1 {$5 shipped EU}
Cpl. Smith x 1
Cpl Potter x 1
Doc x 2
Eriks x 1
Spook_Nukem x 2
elvis1976 x 1
George Chay x 2 (Male 1, Female 1), *
spaceout x 5
Grawnday x 2 (Female 2)
Jediguy x 5 (Male 4, Female 1), *

NOTE:
+ denotes paid in full
* deposit

Total: 60sets

BTW -- we have to get to that stage first by printing the cloth. So everyone who signed up .. we're calling for your pre-payments now, as it is month end too. So hopefully we get a surge of payments in soon.

Last edited:
Coupla people asked about making deposits. Yes, we can take deposits (significant that is -- about 50%) with balance due before delivery. I've denoted those who have requested; however, you aren't on the delivery queue yet. Just to clarify -- we need 30 minimum sets to make a run. We do have over that number signed up ATM. When the pre-payment collection closes (trying for first week to middle of October at the maximum) -- we will tally the actuals. We do believe there are enough to make the run. But please BE REMINDED: this is a custom order group buy run, and you should not count on spares being available for you, as we are doing a 10% over for spares just in case (if the final actual number winds up to be 30 sets -- that means 3 sets of spares up for grabs). So, those who indicated interest earlier -- now is your chance to secure your sets. Make no mistake about this opportunity -- this will be a one time run. FYI, folks. ;)

BTW -- I will be making 20 sets for my own needs in addition, but none of those are for sale as they will be put to use for my EVA kits.

Last edited:
Back