"Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old... my kin"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polylord

Super Freak
Reaction score
About 2 years ago I started carving stuff out of stone. My first project was a panther lying on a rock, and shortly after that, I decided to work on things from Lord of the Rings. At first, I started with a project making a relief from the Gates of Moria (click here for the thread with pictures)

A couple of months ago I started on a long-term project, carving the Argonath out of stone. As a reference, I'm using the Argonath bookend set. The eventual pieces will be twice the size of the bookends.

It all starts with buying the right stone. As I wanted the Argonath to be approximately 1 ft tall, the stone would have to be pretty large. Apart from that, I didn't want the stone to be too "firm" (like marble, which is very difficult to work with), and it had to be the "right" color (black/dark grey/dark green/brown, something along those lines).

Eventually I found a stone that has a beautiful color. Don't let the red layer fool you, that's just the outer layer of the stone. The green/grey color the stone has now will get darker in the end when the stone gets waxed.

On this picture you see how I use a saw to flatten one end of the stone, so it's possible to make it stand up.

argonath01.jpg

Here you can see how the stone stands and next to it the figure of SSW.

argonath03.jpg

The next step is putting global lines on the stone to indicate how the statue is gonna look. Then I know which parts to remove.

argonath04.jpg

Here the stone is cut/carved in a rough shape.
argonath06.jpg

Started to remove excess rock underneath the extended hand.
argonath08.jpg

I removed pieces of stone on the other side, where there will be some rough rock later on.

argonath09.jpg

I did the same to the front.
argonath10.jpg

I worked some more on the arm, removed excess stone near the head and made a beginning on the foot.

argonath12.jpg

The edge of the robe has gotten its final destination. Same goes for the foot.

argonath15.jpg

Worked some more on the foot.

argonath16.jpg

Last edited:
Made some folds in the robe. Carved away more stone for the rest of the robe, filed the front end vertical and removed more stone underneath the extended arm. Added depth to the front end of the robe, made the rocks near his foot smaller. The folds on the side of the robe turned out to be too thick, so those got filed down a bit as well. The sleeve got carved out more, positioned the hand for future carving.
argonath21.jpg

Worked on the rockformation on the "back", smoothed some of the folds in the robe. Made more folds in the robe, cut away some of the stone to carve the part of the robe underneath his right arm and the sword. Turned out that the part of the robe underneath the arm that's holding the sword wasn't positioned where it should, so I ended up filing it flat and starting "all over" again. Fortunately it was for the best, as it's not completely as it should be. Next time, I'll start working on the arm holding the sword.
argonath26.jpg

Worked on the part of the robe underneath the arm with the sword, carved out the global lines of the arm holding the sword, worked on the pommel and the handle of the sword.
argonath27.jpg

Worked on the arm holding the sword and the part of the robe above that. Carved excess stone away from the shoulders. The part where the robe is folded around his elbow is a hard nut to crack. But I'm getting very happy with the results so far.
argonath28.jpg

I edited the handle of the sword, worked on the elbow and the shoulder, and positioned the head.
argonath29.jpg

Worked on the shoulders, the "block" of the head has nearly the exact dimensions it has to have, and worked some more on the top part of the robe (on the extended arm).
After that, I worked on the extended arm, because I realised I couldn't properly position the head as long as I hadn't carved the extended arm. I also discovered that the top part of the robe on the extended arm was too broad, so I had to correct that as well.
argonath31.jpg

Worked out the extended arm and hand. Especially the hand was very hard to sculpt.
argonath32.jpg

The arm/hand holding the sword is completed, started working on the helmet and started working on the face.
argonath35.jpg

Worked out a bit more details on the face, details on the extended hand, finished the shoulders and started working on the rocks on the viewer's right.
argonath36.jpg

Worked on the rocks, carved out the foot and smoothened the folds in the robe. I'm not happy with the way the face looks, so I'm gonna work on that more next time.
argonath37.jpg

Total work-time so far: 94,5 hours.

Last edited:
you look really talented dude..cant wait for final result.

Talk about a necessity for passion and commitment

This is gonna take you years ! What tools are you using and isnt there always the fear of the wrong bit falling off ?

I've been waiting for this custom for a while now.:D I remember you posted about this project in another thread where you showed the Gates of Moria. You truly are talented and I can't wait to see the end result.:clap

Talk about a necessity for passion and commitment

This is gonna take you years ! What tools are you using and isnt there always the fear of the wrong bit falling off ?

I'm afraid it's gonna take me one or two years in total to finish both statues, but it's gonna be worth it :D

I use about 30 different files from big to very small (to work out the details), a brush to brush away the dust and chips and a ruler to measure everything.

Yes, there is a small fear of something breaking off. It's almost impossible to repair something like that. That's why I wait with working on the hand some more, because it's gonna be a fragile piece. I'll do that in the very end.

Fortunately this is a pretty solid piece of stone, so the chance of something breaking off isn't that big, unless you use excessive force. But of course, I always try to be careful.

I've been waiting for this custom for a while now.:D I remember you posted about this project in another thread where you showed the Gates of Moria. You truly are talented and I can't wait to see the end result.:clap

Thanks for the compliment!

I'm gonna add a seperate thread for the Gates of Moria carving as well, tomorrow.:D

Let us see those Gates of Moria! Please!

Very impressed, such skill and dedication.
I will watch your progress with awe.

Stunning work... and so impressive that you are really sculpting this out of stone. Can't wait to see more progress :rock

Wow, just saw the Moria... that is awesome!

What are the tools of the trade for sculpting rock? It looks amazing! Great Work! Are you gonna use the 1 foot sculpts to create 1/6th scale ones?:lol:monkey3

This is going to be absolutely amazing when you are finished!!! Can't wait to see this! :rock :rock

Really impressed, taking something on like this is quite amazing.
Is this sort of thing, carving stone a hobby?

Thanks. Yes it's a hobby of mine. I don't have the room to do it myself in my apartment, but my parents have some sort of workspace in their back yard, so I go there to work on it.

Back