Lights for Detolf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah those lights suck now! I bought a set of multicolored puck lights online and you can actually play with the red, blue, and green hints in the white and duplicate the old IKEA Dioder lights fairly well. It's the only option I've found that kinda matches the old IKEA lights.

https://www.barlighting.com/roundleddiscs.html

Yeah no problem, give those a shot and let me know what you think, or if you find some that are better. After tweaking the color settings, I think you'll like these.

IMAG1490-1.jpg

IMAG1498-1.jpg

Costco now has sylvania mosaic flexible lights that look pretty good.. You get 4 strips that can expand to 10 strips..
29 bucks

I am trying to figure out the best combo to implement them into my ikea shelving

So are the Dioders Pucks are the only ones that yellowish now, or even the Dioders Strips as well?

I was going to go to IKEA this weekend to get me some Dioders Strips, but I may have to reconsider now :(

Is there someone else that have the yelowish issue too ?. I was going to get a pack but now I'm worried.

I got the Sylvania Mosaic light strips from Costco. They were easy to install, but the color rating (not listed on the packaging) is crazy. Using the "white light" setting the color red pops out like mad -- not just things that are red, but custom paintups that contain red. Do not buy.

So are the Dioders Pucks are the only ones that yellowish now, or even the Dioders Strips as well?

I was going to go to IKEA this weekend to get me some Dioders Strips, but I may have to reconsider now :(

Is there someone else that have the yelowish issue too ?. I was going to get a pack but now I'm worried.

Do not get the ikea pucks or strips.
They may look ok in the store cause I think they are probably still using the old strips on display. My Ikea's display also looked nice at the store.

When I got home, they have a piss yellow tint to it that's unappealing to look at. Horrible.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that does something similar to the Ikea Dioders (Puck or strip) within the UK?

Not really up to speed on the situation but has the Ikea ones all changed or something? :dunno

Thanks

I finally got to wiring up my detolf with some Ikea multi-color dioder strips. Initially I didn't like how you could see the wires hanging off the back side since they were ran through the top, and I didn't like the clutter inside the cabinet of the multiple wires hanging from the actual shelves. So I ran to Lowes and grabbed a 10 foot strip of plastic wire concealing tubing for around $3 and ran the wires to the bottom and drilled a hole to run out of the bottom. It did the trick and looks pretty clean now. Enjoy!

IMG_20130203_185223_zps67c5a07c.jpg

IMG_20130203_185132_zps303931f2.jpg

IMG_20130203_185125_zpsd214af70.jpg

IMG_20130203_185140_zpsc07b61f3.jpg

Hey guys!

This friday I will be buying my first Detolf and I'll be getting some Dioder multicolor led strips to go with it.

My question is, where is the best location to attach the lights? Above or below the shelf you want to light? And in the back, middle of front of it?

Atmosphere is more important to me than being able to view every single detail incase that may be something that may help you guys give me advice. It's also the reason I went with colored lights.

Last edited:
In that case, at the back, directly behind each glass shelf, it gives off such a cool effect. Try it when you get them.

No probs! I love the effect. Though you may prefer to mount them at the front of each shelf. Let me know what you do!

I'm assuming the detolf safety glass on the back is safe to drill through to run the wires out the back?

Hey guys!

This friday I will be buying my first Detolf and I'll be getting some Dioder multicolor led strips to go with it.

My question is, where is the best location to attach the lights? Above or below the shelf you want to light? And in the back, middle of front of it?

Atmosphere is more important to me than being able to view every single detail incase that may be something that may help you guys give me advice. It's also the reason I went with colored lights.
Personally, I first put my strips in the middle of each shelf. The figures ended up not being well luminated so I relocated them to the very front of each shelf and I think it makes them look great. Also, I ran the wires to the bottom of the detolf and drilled a hole in the bottom piece of wood to run them under the bottom of the case. Otherwise, if you run them through the hole already provided in the top of the detolf, you're going to have a mess of wires hanging on the back. Obviously with it being see through, it will look like crap. I also ran the wires from each individual strip on the framework of the case and put plastic wire concealing tubing over them so they weren't visible. I posted a few pics a page back. Check them out and see for yourself.

Personally, I first put my strips in the middle of each shelf. The figures ended up not being well luminated so I relocated them to the very front of each shelf and I think it makes them look great. Also, I ran the wires to the bottom of the detolf and drilled a hole in the bottom piece of wood to run them under the bottom of the case. Otherwise, if you run them through the hole already provided in the top of the detolf, you're going to have a mess of wires hanging on the back. Obviously with it being see through, it will look like crap. I also ran the wires from each individual strip on the framework of the case and put plastic wire concealing tubing over them so they weren't visible. I posted a few pics a page back. Check them out and see for yourself.

No probs! I love the effect. Though you may prefer to mount them at the front of each shelf. Let me know what you do!

I'll try to attempt both versions and post pictures / feedback of what I did! :) One quick question.. does it damage the adhesive part of the Dioder lights if you apply and remove them some times to try different locations? Or does it have a neglegible impact?

Back