Life of Pi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think most of the movie was CGI, they shot a bunch of it in a water tank, about 20 shots actually had a real tiger but if they didn't have the tiger they would still have Pi and the boat.

Yes, it was shot in a water tank, so the majority of what you're seeing is CGI. Once you get out of India, Pi, his lifeboat, and a few shots of a real tiger is about all that's real in the film. The ocean, the sky, the island, the animals - almost all CGI, with a few practical effects and live animals mixed in.

You could cut this movie down to three pictures.

The Life of PIe :lol

7DFCBD35-6F9E-4B27-878E-6CD80A62C5EE-2445-000000D5A9FDF2F0_zps203dc951.jpg

73A45A2A-C62C-47D6-B1D9-5A4C7B8C48EE-2445-000000D5AB0229BE_zpsea475eed.jpg

21672974-DBDC-4783-BC7F-B3006A3809D9-2445-000000D5AD4D138A_zps442ec391.jpg

I'm just goofing around before anyone gets mad at me. :duff

Last edited:
I know it's not the fairest way to judge. The trailers just didn't impress me enough to see it and comparing it against films I did see I still feel that way.

So basically you are the equivalent of a guy who posts in an LotR thread never having read the book or seen the movies but sure it didn't deserve an oscar because he thought the commercials looked dumb. :slap:lol

So basically you are the equivalent of a guy who posts in an LotR thread never having read the book or seen the movies but sure it didn't deserve an oscar because he thought the commercials looked dumb. :slap:lol

I guess. It may be a good movie and I'm not trashing it. I really have no real opinion on it other than how unimpressed the trailers left me. They didn't make me want to see the movie. That's the point of trailers is to sell a movie. They didn't do that for me and when I have that feeling say vs something like Lincoln I have a hard time thinking it could be better.

Is anyone else on here aware of what's going on with Rhythm & Hues? I thought it was incredibly disrespectful of the Academy to start playing the 'Jaws' theme when those four talented effects artists were up there trying to inform the general public on how badly VFX artists are treated in the film industry.

That should have been the talk of the night instead of Harvey Weinstein's bought & paid for Oscar for Jennifer Lawrence.

Is anyone else on here aware of what's going on with Rhythm & Hues? I thought it was incredibly disrespectful of the Academy to start playing the 'Jaws' theme when those four talented effects artists were up there trying to inform the general public on how badly VFX artists are treated in the film industry.

That should have been the talk of the night instead of Harvey Weinstein's bought & paid for Oscar for Jennifer Lawrence.

Supposedly they still had 20 seconds to talk so people are wondering what was going on. I wouldn't want to think they were cut off because of what they were wanting to say, but you've got to wonder. I think if I were in their place I would have refused the award.

Life of Pi isn't some action flick with big explosions and cool aliens they can hint at in 30 seconds in a trailer. It's one of the most interesting, intelligent movies I've seen in several years, and one of those that until the very end you won't quite be sure of. Even then, it will leave you talking about your reaction and what that all means. Conveying that in a traile is pretty much impossible.

And Weinstein didn't buy Lawrence an oscar - she was excellent in Playbook and definitely deserved it.

is it just me. i wanted to see the real thing unfold. shift it from an eyegasmic experience to mind**** thriller of some sort instead. :dunno

i still feel it would have been more awesome than it is if they tweaked it a bit into a mind****ing thriller.

Life of Pi isn't some action flick with big explosions and cool aliens they can hint at in 30 seconds in a trailer. It's one of the most interesting, intelligent movies I've seen in several years, and one of those that until the very end you won't quite be sure of. Even then, it will leave you talking about your reaction and what that all means. Conveying that in a traile is pretty much impossible.

And Weinstein didn't buy Lawrence an oscar - she was excellent in Playbook and definitely deserved it.

:exactly::goodpost::lecture:hi5:

You either "get" that or you don't.

Agree with your first point. But Emmanuelle Riva performance was the more accomplished. How she did not win is a mystery.

That was my thought as well based on the trailer and seeing the other 3. Nothing about this movie looked like Oscar worthy in anyway especially bigger awards like BD when you had Spielberg/Lincoln.

The CGi Tiger was worth an Oscar alone. Best CGi of any film this year and worthy winner. I'd have given best cinematography to Roger Deakins.

No mystery at all. More academy voters liked Lawrence's performance than Riva's. Simples.

Or they were bought. Have you seen both performances? Apart from technical achievements he oscars are a cluster****. They occassionally get them right (3 wins of Day Lewis) but he should have been on four for bill the Butcher.

Or they were bought. Have you seen both performances? Apart from technical achievements he oscars are a cluster****. They occassionally get them right (3 wins of Day Lewis) but he should have been on four for bill the Butcher.

But what are you basing that on? Because the majority of Academy voters doesn't share your opinion?

No because Amour was not promoted as much coming up to voting time as Lawrence's movie. It's a know fact that studios wine and dine the members of the academy.

I've seen both movies. Have you?

The CGi Tiger was worth an Oscar alone. Best CGi of any film this year and worthy winner. I'd have given best cinematography to Roger Deakins.

I guess. Saw it in the trailer. It looked cool but I wasn't blown away by it. Sorry :peace

Back