Kotobukiya Venom Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually that again is incorrect.

You're confusing Cold Cast Porcelain with Polyresin.

Polystone is, yes, Stone additive mixed with Polythalene, not urathane. Polythalene is the most common of all the plastics and cheaper usually. The Stone additives in Polystone are not Porcelain, it's usually harder materials or depending upon how cheap the manufacture wants to be they can even use plaster.

Polyresin is basically the same thing, the difference is that Polystone has more stone additive and polyresin has more plastic resin.

Cold Cast Porcelain is Polyurathane mixed with porcelain powder, hence the name. All three are cold cast but mixed differently with different additives.

That's why they call all three something different, and not an AKA. Anyone who tries to sell you something different is probably ripping you off on materials.

The term "Cold cast porcelain" was used for all resin and stone compounds back in the 90's and up to the mid 2000's by almost every single collectible company regardless of its grade, quality and element composition. In recent years we started to use the term "polystone" for almost all new statues in the market. The truth is that there are different levels of mixture, different additives (as you mentioned) therefore the quality differs from piece to piece and from company to company. This is why some statues feel sturdier than others and better made.

I understand your points. I am not a chemical engineer (like my father) but I understand basic chemistry. ;)

Last edited:
The term "Cold cast porcelain" was used for all resin and stone compounds back in the 90's and up to the mid 2000's by almost every single collectible company regardless of its grade, quality and element composition. In recent years we started to use the term "polystone" for almost all new statues in the market. The truth is that there are different levels of mixture, different additives (as you mentioned) therefore the quality differs from piece to piece and from company to company. This is why some statues feel sturdier than others and better made.

I understand your points. I am not a chemical engineer (like my father) but I understand basic chemistry. ;)

My aim isn't to offend or anything I just see the terms used interchangeably quiet a bit and as you said which compound is used and the ingredients used in the compound count towards quality. I'd actually like to see them move towards a polyresin more because it holds the details just as good as polystone but is more sturdy and less brittle.

Of course it's also more expensive so they probably wouldn't just because it would tamper with their bottom line ;)

My aim isn't to offend or anything I just see the terms used interchangeably quiet a bit and as you said which compound is used and the ingredients used in the compound count towards quality. I'd actually like to see them move towards a polyresin more because it holds the details just as good as polystone but is more sturdy and less brittle.

Of course it's also more expensive so they probably wouldn't just because it would tamper with their bottom line ;)

I feel ya. That's why customs are so expensive and harder to come by. They are extremely well made, sturdier and heavier. Just like the Sideshow masterpieces of past years.

I also would like to see more polyresin in the Market. A few months back, Jerry Macaluso was asking members of another forum about this but many were extremely scheptical about it. I for once, find it very interesting and a leap forward to a greater amount of detail for collectibles. The thruth is that we are going to see more vinyl and plastic compounds in the near future due to the turmoil in the financial markets, regardless of how we feel about it. Today's inflation in the worldwide economy affects our ability to purchase and the companies' ability to manufacture.

Took a quick video of it. Crappy camera tho :(

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhtrQ39vtA4[/ame]

Last edited:
Yea sure Furyan if you were asking for comparisons against the 2 Venoms of the Koto and Original Comiquette I will try to post pics. I have been on a vacation at the coast the last few days but just returned home so I will work on them asap.

I feel ya. That's why customs are so expensive and harder to come by. They are extremely well made, sturdier and heavier. Just like the Sideshow masterpieces of past years.

I also would like to see more polyresin in the Market. A few months back, Jerry Macaluso was asking members of another forum about this but many were extremely scheptical about it. I for once, find it very interesting and a leap forward to a greater amount of detail for collectibles. The thruth is that we are going to see more vinyl and plastic compounds in the near future due to the turmoil in the financial markets, regardless of how we feel about it. Today's inflation in the worldwide economy affects our ability to purchase and the companies' ability to manufacture.

Yeah, I hate POV though. Makes me feel like a bought something cheap when I take it out of the box.

This guy is massive, twice the size of Koto Spidey's Body o_o

C4thl7t.jpg

fNlrSvL.jpg

where did you get those venom and carnage prints?

I bought them off a local artist when they had a comic convention here in town. I have a black Spidey and Scarlet Spidey in my living room. I didn't see the need to get a regular Spider-Man as there are hundreds of lithos of him. I had also bought a print from him of Triangle Head on a throne surrounded by nurses from Silent Hill. I thought they would complement the statues well that's why I got them.

Just got the notification that my Venom was delivered to my apartment complex office. Double edge sword because now I have a full work day ahead of me before I can get home and get this thing displayed!

Just unpacked venom. I love this thing. Question.... I have venom and bowen modern spiderman (the one where he is in an action pose coming over the top of a building. Base is the building ) on a detolf shelf. Think the weight will be an issue? I have both positioned as far to the sides as possible so that the support bar is picking up some weight and it's not all on just the glass...

I read these shelves are only rated to13lbs and together these definitely are over that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I bought them off a local artist when they had a comic convention here in town. I have a black Spidey and Scarlet Spidey in my living room. I didn't see the need to get a regular Spider-Man as there are hundreds of lithos of him. I had also bought a print from him of Triangle Head on a throne surrounded by nurses from Silent Hill. I thought they would complement the statues well that's why I got them.

Do you know who the artist was? Did he sign them?

This looks fantastic. Will be getting him but probably not in a couple of months.. Really, really hope they make a few more villains in this series, especially Carnage!! :)

Just unpacked venom. I love this thing. Question.... I have venom and bowen modern spiderman (the one where he is in an action pose coming over the top of a building. Base is the building ) on a detolf shelf. Think the weight will be an issue? I have both positioned as far to the sides as possible so that the support bar is picking up some weight and it's not all on just the glass...

I read these shelves are only rated to13lbs and together these definitely are over that.

You might want to consider wire rope clips for reinforcement:
https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tuto...f-modification-adding-additional-shelves.html

And if your concerned about the glass itself you can always get something like a 1/4" thick acrylic cut to size

You'll have to do a little research and use your own judgement but always put safety first when it comes to collectibles :lecture

You might want to consider wire rope clips for reinforcement:
https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tuto...f-modification-adding-additional-shelves.html

And if your concerned about the glass itself you can always get something like a 1/4" thick acrylic cut to size

You'll have to do a little research and use your own judgement but always put safety first when it comes to collectibles :lecture

Not sure I follow you on the clips. I would need to support middle of the shelf to prevent it from breaking under the weight. The acrylic could work but I'm looking to upgrade to a besta once I'm I am my own house so I Don't really want to put money into the detolf.

Anyone have multiple Bowens or anything with some weight that isn't a hot toy figure on a detolf shelf with no issues to make me feel better?

Do you know who the artist was? Did he sign them?

Yes he did he is just a local artist that I am aware of. He has like a logo for his signature from the looks of it. I'll get that I'm behind getting pics online. I'll be getting them up 2nite just been busy getting back into the groove of being back at work and how crazy it gets.

Back