just an idea... (PLEASE READ)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea and I'd be glad to throw in my hat. I sent you a link to my photobucket page, Dude. So you be the judge of were my stuff could be used in.

As for suggestions on one of the other sites I go on they did something simliar a few years back(before I was ever involved). Basically he was a sort of time traveling wander type who collected different parts in a sort of D&D fantasy world. It came out pretty cool since he even had some steampunk weapons and a long sword. I just did something simliar in my bi weekly Star Wars RPG and had my players time travel. Its a fun idea, since you can have a figure with say, a clone helmet as a trophy and be wearing rebel scum clothing.

Another suggestion that might be easy and fun since no one has really touched it, Kinights of the Old Republic jedi. Their clothing is alot more elegant and fancy then the PT jedi, theres that one crazy alien thats green(I forget his/her name). Perhaps one of them?

So to recap, my ideas are time traveler(kind of lame, I know, but it would be fun and different) or a KOTOR Jedi.

How about R1 or FX-7? Both of these would require many parts. I'm good with technical things and have no idea about sculpting and clothing. I like angles and straight lines. :D

But nam is right, small collaborations happen all the time.

as for larger collaborations that involve more people, on second thought it just doesn't seem reasonable...

a diorama group project has also been ruled out (unless some of you guys actually did get together, but I wouldn't be able to join you)...

so really people's opinions don't matter at this point. The fact of the matter is, it's not gonna work.

Well i was trying to be polite, but yes it wont work for those reasons.

If you feel you can contribute to a smaller project then aproach someone who has the same interest.

How about R1 or FX-7? Both of these would require many parts. I'm good with technical things and have no idea about sculpting and clothing. I like angles and straight lines. :D

hmm... good idea, but it sounds like something for only one or 2 people, me not being one of them as I wouldn't have the tools to help with that sort of thing very much...

I like the idea and I'd be glad to throw in my hat. I sent you a link to my photobucket page, Dude. So you be the judge of were my stuff could be used in.

As for suggestions on one of the other sites I go on they did something simliar a few years back(before I was ever involved). Basically he was a sort of time traveling wander type who collected different parts in a sort of D&D fantasy world. It came out pretty cool since he even had some steampunk weapons and a long sword. I just did something simliar in my bi weekly Star Wars RPG and had my players time travel. Its a fun idea, since you can have a figure with say, a clone helmet as a trophy and be wearing rebel scum clothing.

Another suggestion that might be easy and fun since no one has really touched it, Kinights of the Old Republic jedi. Their clothing is alot more elegant and fancy then the PT jedi, theres that one crazy alien thats green(I forget his/her name). Perhaps one of them?

So to recap, my ideas are time traveler(kind of lame, I know, but it would be fun and different) or a KOTOR Jedi.

interesting ideas, but honestly, the time-traveling people could be made by anyone alone who owned any mess of Star Wars parts, and the KOTOR Jedi idea is much more promising, but most of the work would rely upon vivisect (unless someone else is as good at 1/6 clothing making, which I highly doubt)

the KOTOR jedi thing might work in a smaller collaborative group (maybe 3 people; I could sculpt a head, viv could do the robes, you could do the saber), but it doesn't belong in this thread, in which I was trying to include as many people as possible. This thread is sort of dying anyway, because as soon as Maulfan checks his PM's, this thread will be gone.

Last edited:
Oh oh! I know. What about a random smuggler type? It would be a random enough character that many people could help in, he could be used in say the cantina when people get it or just a cool stand alone figure.

Personally I'd rather be part of a male related figure. It has noting to do with woman, cos I love them. I just know that the 1/6th market is flooded with male bodies in all price ranges. Female bodies, well some people might be able to drop $40 on a nude.....that didn't sound right.

But nam is right, small collaborations happen all the time.

as for larger collaborations that involve more people, on second thought it just doesn't seem reasonable...

a diorama group project has also been ruled out (unless some of you guys actually did get together, but I wouldn't be able to join you)...

so really people's opinions don't matter at this point. The fact of the matter is, it's not gonna work.

The problem with larger collaborations is that eventually, at some point, someone will have to back out and will do it nicely (before money changes hands), or not so nice (and pull a Howes). This is why it's always best to start with aspects of a build, like first tackling a sculpt, then paint, then accessories (if needing to be scratch-built), then more painting if needed, then wardrobe, and so on and so forth. Then, once everything's done, you can compile it into a single thread. It's also easier on the wallet as everyone's paying a bit at a time instead of all at once, or finding themselves unable to pay the obligation of completed parts due to lack of funds which leaves customizers hanging, etc.

The problem with larger collaborations is that eventually, at some point, someone will have to back out and will do it nicely (before money changes hands), or not so nice (and pull a Howes). This is why it's always best to start with aspects of a build, like first tackling a sculpt, then paint, then accessories (if needing to be scratch-built), then more painting if needed, then wardrobe, and so on and so forth. Then, once everything's done, you can compile it into a single thread. It's also easier on the wallet as everyone's paying a bit at a time instead of all at once.

the point of everyone collaborating on a project and everyone getting a copy is that we all get it for free (except for shipping and material costs), and it's not one person paying a bunch of people to make parts for him so he alone can have a figure, it's everyone coming together and contributing their skills and making the parts they're good at making in return for getting the ones they're not so good at making. My idea wasn't to commission people, or having several people working for one guy who pays them. Each person would get parts they couldn't make themselves, and as payment, would contribute their own parts/skills to the project.

There would be no Chris Howes, money wouldn't be changing hands, only parts of the figure...

If ever there was an utterly pointless thread, it would be this one, I think... It's a sinking ship, it'll probably be gone before tomorrow.

If I wanted to commission people to make a figure, I would have titled this thread "1/6 star wars figure commissions" or something....

the point of everyone collaborating on a project and everyone getting a copy is that we all get it for free (except for shipping and material costs), and it's not one person paying a bunch of people to make parts for him so he alone can have a figure, it's everyone coming together and contributing their skills and making the parts they're good at making in return for getting the ones they're not so good at making. My idea wasn't to commission people, or having several people working for one guy who pays them. Each person would get parts they couldn't make themselves, and as payment, would contribute their own parts/skills to the project.

There would be no Chris Howes, money wouldn't be changing hands, only parts of the figure...

If ever there was an utterly pointless thread, it would be this one, I think... It's a sinking ship, it'll probably be gone before tomorrow.

If I wanted to commission people to make a figure, I would have titled this thread "1/6 star wars figure commissions" or something....

To be perfectly honest, I don't see how that would work either. Making weapons, accessories is night and day easier than sculpting/painting a headsculpt. If the outfit is simple, then that also leaves a couple to a few doing the majority of the complex work with little payback/compensation while the ones with the simple aspects reap the rewards. Especially if you're expecting any kind of quality work in the finished product.

To be perfectly honest, I don't see how that would work either. Making weapons, accessories is night and day easier than sculpting/painting a headsculpt. If the outfit is simple, then that also leaves a couple to a few doing the majority of the complex work with little payback/compensation while the ones with the simple aspects reap the rewards. Especially if you're expecting any kind of quality work in the finished product.

Of course you don't see how it would work. Neither do I now, that's why I PM'd MaulFan to delete this thread! :rolleyes:

personally, I think I'm getting to be pretty good at sculpting heads (unsung and bid seem to still be way better), but I can sculpt a good head once in a while. Painting it? No way, can't do it very well. As for sculpting weapons? I find that to be near impossible for me... can't sculpt a clean looking gun if my life depended on it! And just because someone can make an outfit that's more difficult to produce than a headsculpt doesn't mean the person making the outfit would've ever been able to sculpt that particular head, and just because I find sculpting heads to be relatively easy doesn't mean I can sculpt weapons at all.

But, you're right, it does seem a little unfair, that's why this won't work.

Actually even if the outfit isn't that complicated it will be just as much if not more work than painting heads depending on how many there are, you gotta remember in most cases a pattern has to be made, a prototype made then a fixed pattern then the final, which alone can take as much time as some people spend sculpting a head.

Also If part of an out fit get screwed up it means starting that piece over not just repainting and such (sewing machines apparently have to eat once in a while too and they eat cloth:D), so basically the person painting the heads depending on how good said person is and the person making the out fits are the ones putting the most time into it since each paint job and outfit have to be done by hand not just copied.

Then depending on how many were to be made the every thing else would likely be done before the all the outfits were sent out to people ( Have you seen my list:lol).

Anyhow as Galactiboy pointed out things of this nature already happen to work them selves out quite well here already, and though I don't ever have a problem with doing whatever need to be done, it just takes time.

Actually even if the outfit isn't that complicated it will be just as much if not more work than painting heads depending on how many there are, you gotta remember in most cases a pattern has to be made, a prototype made then a fixed pattern then the final, which alone can take as much time as some people spend sculpting a head.

Also If part of an out fit get screwed up it means starting that piece over not just repainting and such (sewing machines apparently have to eat once in a while too and they eat cloth:D), so basically the person painting the heads depending on how good said person is and the person making the out fits are the ones putting the most time into it since each paint job and outfit have to be done by hand not just copied.

Then depending on how many were to be made the every thing else would likely be done before the all the outfits were sent out to people ( Have you seen my list:lol).

Anyhow as Galactiboy pointed out things of this nature already happen to work them selves out quite well here already, and though I don't ever have a problem with doing whatever need to be done, it just takes time.

I'm not discounting outfits per say. But if it's just a simple shirt and pants, that's another story entirely. My main focus though, was on the sheer amount of work that goes into the headsculpt which is in just about every case, make or break.

Last edited:
I can't figure out why you guys are still pointing out flaws when this thread is gonna be deleted ASAP... :dunno

Isn't it enough to say that my idea won't work, or do you really have to pick it apart and say every possible reason that makes my idea a bad one?

This ain't happening, ever, and I already know it just can't work, so you guys aren't convincing me of anything... just saying "oh, well it also won't work because of this reason."

:confused:

I know what your saying, but even for simple pants and shirt it can still take a lot of time depending on how many need to be made. Either way its highly unlikely something like this would just require a "simple" shirt and pants. I don't now if you have any experience sewing, but in 1/6th scale, pants are one of the hardest thing to get right, one small screw up in the crotch (I'm talking 1 mm off) and they become garbage because they will not look right, Ive got a bag of about 20 pairs that are only good to be used if that area is gonna be covered. I've finally started cheating like Sideshow and others do by hiding the closure in the back so I can avoid so much waste.

I know what your saying, but even for simple pants and shirt it can still take a lot of time depending on how many need to be made. Either way its highly unlikely something like this would just require a "simple" shirt and pants. I don't now if you have any experience sewing, but in 1/6th scale, pants are one of the hardest thing to get right, one small screw up in the crotch (I'm talking 1 mm off) and they become garbage because they will not look right, Ive got a bag of about 20 pairs that are only good to be used if that area is gonna be covered. I've finally started cheating like Sideshow and others do by hiding the closure in the back so I can avoid so much waste.

I actually do have experience sewing, as well as sculpting. If given the choice, I prefer the former to the latter just because, IMO, it's easier. It does take a lot of work, but for me anyways, it's considerably less tedious and more forgiving.

I actually do have experience sewing, as well as sculpting. If given the choice, I prefer the former to the latter just because, IMO, it's easier. It does take a lot of work, but for me anyways, it's considerably less tedious and more forgiving.

I think sewing would be harder, if you just go by instinct without drawing up plans first it can go wrong pretty quick, and if you finish sewing something and it doesn't fit, it's pretty much useless and you have to start from scratch. However for sculpting heads, all you need is a pic or two, and you start trying to sculpt it. If you mess up a part, unlike in sewing, you can just scrape it off leaving the rest intact and re-do that particular part only. Also sewing machines are much more expensive and break much more easily than sculpting tools!

So IMO, if a custom figure was made in the way I described, Viv would probably have to do the most work out of anyone. Don't forget that with sculpting heads you just use clay no matter who the character is or what the texture of his skin/hair is, but with 1/6 clothing you have to find exactly the right material that has to be just right in terms of color/pattern, stretchiness, and sheen (you wouldn't want a super shiny darth vader or clone trooper suit would you? No, it's gotta be pretty matte, but smooth at the same time.)

This thread's sorta getting de-railed a little, but it's ok, it's now a thread zombie (or walking dead thread, it's condemned to be deleted, but it's still kicking for the time being)

I think sewing would be harder, if you just go by instinct without drawing up plans first it can go wrong pretty quick, and if you finish sewing something and it doesn't fit, it's pretty much useless and you have to start from scratch. However for sculpting heads, all you need is a pic or two, and you start trying to sculpt it. If you mess up a part, unlike in sewing, you can just scrape it off leaving the rest intact and re-do that particular part only. Also sewing machines are much more expensive and break much more easily than sculpting tools!

So IMO, if a custom figure was made in the way I described, Viv would probably have to do the most work out of anyone. Don't forget that with sculpting heads you just use clay no matter who the character is or what the texture of his skin/hair is, but with 1/6 clothing you have to find exactly the right material that has to be just right in terms of color/pattern, stretchiness, and sheen (you wouldn't want a super shiny darth vader or clone trooper suit would you? No, it's gotta be pretty matte, but smooth at the same time.)

This thread's sorta getting de-railed a little, but it's ok, it's now a thread zombie (or walking dead thread, it's condemned to be deleted, but it's still kicking for the time being)

I'm a perfectionist, so I can spend weeks and weeks pecking away at getting the bridge of a nose perfect, or the corner of an eye just right. Then there's the hair which is always a pain in the ass. Then once you're done, making the molds and pulling off perfect casts. That's a science all in it's own.

For sewing, I'd find aspects (shirt/pants) that fit the figure adequately, deconstruct them and use the base as a pattern. So long as you measure twice, you'll only need to cut once. Finding materials might be hard, no doubt, but once you find them, you're golden. The hardest part for me is keeping it looking like 1:6 scale clothing, downplaying the stitching and seams so that it doesn't look like 1:1 scale sewed tiny. It's the difference between quality outfits and Hasbro outfits.

Painting is a whole other story entirely and probably my biggest weakness. It's redundant and tedious. Paint, rest, paint, rest, paint, rest. Then there's detail work and coating which if it doesn't go right requires a strip and repaint.

I'm a perfectionist, so I can spend weeks and weeks pecking away at getting the bridge of a nose perfect, or the corner of an eye just right. Then there's the hair which is always a pain in the ass. Then once you're done, making the molds and pulling off perfect casts. That's a science all in it's own.

For sewing, I'd find aspects (shirt/pants) that fit the figure adequately, deconstruct them and use the base as a pattern. So long as you measure twice, you'll only need to cut once. Finding materials might be hard, no doubt, but once you find them, you're golden. The hardest part for me is keeping it looking like 1:6 scale clothing, downplaying the stitching and seams so that it doesn't look like 1:1 scale sewed tiny. It's the difference between quality outfits and Hasbro outfits.

Painting is a whole other story entirely and probably my biggest weakness. It's redundant and tedious. Paint, rest, paint, rest, paint, rest. Then there's detail work and coating which if it doesn't go right requires a strip and repaint.

Hey, I'm a perfectionist too! Have been all my life... in fact, my parents tell me that in elementary school, I would spend hours and hours getting frustrated over some picture I had to draw for school - and apparently it wasn't even for art class! :lol I wonder if they still have any of those drawings anywhere...

anyway, I try to get things perfect, and if they aren't, it frustrates me to no end. There's a saying that if they aren't given a deadline, an perfectionist-artist will never "finish" his work, only keep working on it because it will never be good enough. I trust you have seen my Arnie sculpt :)lol you think it's bad? You didn't even see the ears yet!), that was one where I just got bored of trying to make it perfect, so I thought "I'll just stop here, cast it, and if the clay makes it out of the mold ok I'll start re-working it again later"... well, in pulling the oil-based clay out of the mold I utterly destroyed it... therefore I am stuck with my hideous imperfection, too busy to resculpt it... But that doesn't mean I don't like sculpting. If you don't spend weeks on every detail, it most likely won't end up being great! (it's probably the dif between good and great, I doubt any HT sculptor ever says "Eh, good enough." :lol or else no one would buy from them (well I guess they did for their first Joker :lol)

As for hair, I find it's not that hard, just carve lines into some lumps on top of the head and try not to hold the sculpt in any way where your fingers would be touching it :lol cuz then all the detail is gone in a fingershaped area! Molding is simple, get a container about an inch larger than your sculpt in all dimensions, secure the sculpt to the bottom, pour in silicone, wait a day (easy). As for perfect casts, you swirl the mold around while the resin is setting for a roto-cast, you get less bubbles that way. Then, you fix any bubbles or defects with Mighty Putty (or other epoxy) or Sculpey. In my experience, a perfect cast doesn't exist, but you can fix the imperfections afterwards.

Painting is not my strongpoint either :lol with acryllic paint, you can literally scratch it off with your finger nail if you try, I notice it forms a "skin" on the sculpt, which doesn't peel off until it is pierced... but I can never get any of my painted sculpt to look mildly real, although I'd say my paintjobs are somewhere imbetween Hasbro and Sideshow, probably more on the Hasbro end :lol

anyway, if you're so good at sewing, and I'm so good at sculpting, then why don't we make a figure together? Obviously, sewing for me is as hard as sculpting for you, and vice versa, so we'd be complimenting each other's weaknesses... :rotfl wow I'm really getting tired now... I think I need to sleep... of course this thread may not be here when I wake up... oh well

EDIT: oh no, I used 8 LOL smilies without using any others... that's not usually a good sign :lol (dangit, 9!)

Back