Jurassic Park Collectible Thread (JP, TLW:JP, JPIII, JW, JW:FK)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I initially was only going to get the three JP1 figures and Jeep but now that I have them the venom is in my system. Pretty impressive opening volley for a toyline. I keep seeing new dinos/different selections at every store I go to. They seem to be selling well, too.

I broke down and bought one of the Legacy Packs at my nearest Target. Out of the 4 they had, I grabbed the one with the best-looking Dilophosaurus, although oddly all 4 had really strange-looking Grant figures. I don't think it was the printing - it's almost the head shape - like it hadn't quite cured before being ripped from the mold or something. (See picture below.) So of course, now I have to buy a stand-alone Grant figure too. :lol

IMG_0787.JPG

I thought the same thing, Except I still like Kenner's versions a bit more. Their sculpts just look a bit more 'crisp' and defined to me, although I know the chemical makeup of today's plastic is a bit different as well and contributes to some of the 'softness' in Mattel's figures. (Okay, and I miss the 'Dino branding' too. It was always kind of fun to see, and a good way to order my collection as a kid.) :wink1:

I agree, the Mattel figure textures are interesting. Under the right lighting conditions it can seem almost like there is barely any and in the right lighting you see there’s quite a lot, it’s just very soft and subtle. I plan to do repaints on the smaller figures but the soft details will force me to try different techniques than I’d normally try.

I broke down and bought one of the Legacy Packs at my nearest Target. Out of the 4 they had, I grabbed the one with the best-looking Dilophosaurus, although oddly all 4 had really strange-looking Grant figures. I don't think it was the printing - it's almost the head shape - like it hadn't quite cured before being ripped from the mold or something. (See picture below.) So of course, now I have to buy a stand-alone Grant figure too. :lol

snip

I got the single release Grant and the head looks like that also. Like half his face is a little large.

I picked up an extra Grant to do just that. After a repaint, the details popped a bit.

Grant suffers from his head being cast in that translucent skin that lots of toy companies are using, I personally dislike it as the skin doesn’t look more real and detail gets lost because of how light passes through it.

Okay, the Mosasaurus (officially opened) is awesome. Awesome. Who needs Bruce, anyways? :lol

:lol

I have noticed that the Alan Grant faceprinting in the set with all the dinosaurs is more consistently worse than the single figure. I did have to dig around a bit to find a really good one though.

Seriously? I barely remember what it sounded like.

It was a common stock screaming sound effect used in lots of electronic toys. The Evil Dead II Book of the Dead DVD edition used it too. The battery on that one died long ago.

Back