Joz Robotics - Robot V (Johnny 5)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojomark

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I'm sure there is an OLD post for this, but I just had to bring it back up. I just picked up one of these from eBay and I am very excited. I can say that as far as childhood robots go, this thing makes it to grail status.

Anyone else seen,heard, picked one of these up?

Where was it sold originally?

Internet site or some special convention promo?

Actually, it has an interesting story. There has NEVER been a commercially developed S.A.I.N.T. no.5 (Johnny 5) figure. This engineer put this thing together over a few years, and only did a run of 100 pieces, I had been looking for one for a while but they sold out pretty quick. Here is his website:

https://jozrobotics.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1510

I got one of these...and am in the process of fixing up a lot of the errors on the piece.
Especially the neck, as the head fell off as soon as i removed it from the box.

3169-j5promo2.jpg

Hot damn, that looks terrific! Those adjustments to the face really makes it POP. Can you take a few more detailed photos and explain what you have done?

sure,
First I remade the lower eyelid flaps, using thin styrene, as the ones that come with it are way too thick. still have to finish the upper lids.
i also re-did the eyes, as they were wrong as well....i used different sized washers.
the head was removed and redone, added a ball joint to it for better movement, the neck struts were cut off and replaced, so the neck can now move back and forth like in the film. the small hydraulics were added using spare parts.
added a joint to the cannon so it can fold up and down. added rivets to each finger using round headed nails.
added a waist joint.
cut extra plastic away from the tread connectors, so his treads can pivot. cut the back of the rear part so the torso could angle back farther.
think i added a wrist swivel too...

its still a W.I.P., as i have a bunch more to do and i have to repaint as well.

3170-j5promo.jpg

3167-j5promo4.jpg

3166-j5promo5.jpg

That is simply stunning. I am interested to see how you managed the ball joint for the neck. I would like to customize this thing myself but I am a bit inexperienced in modifications like yours, and tearing into a $250+ dollar irreplaceable figure makes me kind of nervous.

I'm surprised there aren't more responses to this, did everyone not see this movie?

I am a big fan also. Sorry, I don't post replies much.

That is awesome that you got one and like it so much. :hi5:

I also have that J5 figure. If I ever get brave enough, I might customize it. :D

Here is a pic (for scale) with some of his friends. ;)

Got mine today, finally. Its pretty neat but DAMN can this thing use paint applications. Have to hand to the Joz man, this thing really is a nice piece.

So excited, finally got it together (haven't glued the neck posts in, since I do plan on trying that nice neck articulation thing) however I am happy how the eyes turned out. Had to paint them from scratch, using light blue, gold and black. However if I do eventually go in and do one thing, it will be to add red LED's to the eyes.

Hi, yes, they are awesome as 5" Robot V were also produced by Joz Robotics. I did some cool stop-motion video with the smaller 5" version on my youtube.com/user/unboxingsgalore channel and I did a review. Its a cool collectible.
IMG_0304.jpg

Last edited:
I have been looking for one of these for awhile now. Only one I was able to find was an ok-looking kit.
But the seller's communication worried me, so I passed.

Where did you get this?

Back