Jessica's Planet: Life, Liberty & Pursuit of Happiness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darren I've been lurking on your thread to learn how to paint better!!! I think I'm getting the hang of it now. I just need to practice some more.

Last edited:
Gorilla cast. I have to fix the nose with Apoxie (dratted air bubble), but no biggie. It's salvageable...and smooth out the other areas like the air vents of the mold. At least I know the mold works.

IMG_5819.jpg

IMG_5822.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Angel. Next time I'll do better. It took 3 hours to glue everything down, and another two hours to remove most. I got home at midnight and went to bed at 1:30 with glue and grease makeup still on. If I didn't have a cold brewing and didn't have to blow my nose, I would have slept in it...I was so exhausted. I'm going to rework my costume (have to move up the shoulder seam, shorten the sleeves, re-weave the inner sleeve with a finer yarn)...and I have decided to recreate and weave my own wig. I've got a year to do it. I have seen how that expensive wig is made, and I can do the same. This way I won't have to worry about blending anything.

I met somebody from the Sideshow forums there! I can't remember his name. He asked if I was Jessica. I was so shocked!! I should have scribbled his name down on my notepad.

Look you guys! I was written up on a blog!! That had to be me because I was the only ape in town.

Best costume prob goes to either the Batman and Catwoman duo, or the woman in the Planet of the Apes with FX makeup, hair and costume. I did a double-take when I saw her. She looked so unassuming walking the show. If I didn't know better I'd say she walked off a tv/movie set.
https://11by17.blogspot.com/2009/03/wondercon-2009-sf-trip-report.html

Last edited:
wowzers.........that costume & makeup is off the charts outstanding. i cant tell from the pic but im sure you were having a blast. did you lose count on the number of times you had to pose for pictures?.......:D

wowzers.........that costume & makeup is off the charts outstanding. i cant tell from the pic but im sure you were having a blast. did you lose count on the number of times you had to pose for pictures?.......:D

Yes, it was hard to walk a couple of steps without being asked for a photograph. I got separated from my girlfriend, and it was really hard to use my cell phone because of the latex ears I glued on...the din of the crowd...and then I'm trying to find out where my girlfriend was and everyone was asking can I take a photo? Can I take a photo?

My girlfriend was inside a booth and I was waiting for her to complete her transaction. Twenty minutes later, I was still in the same spot still taking photos, and she said, "You haven't MOVED yet?"

When I finally sat down because I was so tired of walking around...people still kept coming over and asking for photos. So, even if I was checking my makeup with my compact or whatever I was doing, people still kept coming over to take photos. It was a blast.

I didn't do really well with the hairline. Next year I'll do better...and have better hair. Front view is not that spectacular.

Two days later I am still finding bits of glue and have dark brown grease makeup in the creases and pores of my hand.
ultra-gor.jpg

Last edited:
I also forgot to take extra straws. I was devastated backstage when I couldn't MacGuyver my own straw to drink water... I was so freaking thirsty...so I carefully drank from a cup and I was OK! I was able to manage. My second cup of water I was too eager and it accidentally went up my nose...but I had q-tips handy...had to dry my nose through the chamber I cut through the mouth while using a compact to check my aim.

i think the hairline & everything looks fantastic..........please post some more pics if you have more.

This is my girlfriend that came with me. We met at the MegoMuseum, and she is local. She was the only one who wanted to come along. I was really pressed for time to pick her up, so I did not do such a hot job with my hairline/hair. Next time it will be better. Kind of freaky you could see my dimples. I could not cut that shine near my eyes...it was a makeup fixative to keep the grease from rubbing off on everything else. Next time I'll just use powder only instead of the fixative...so it looks like I'm perspiring, but I'm not.
IMG_5875.jpg

Here is Don Pedro Colley. I didn't think I would meet anybody from an ape movie ever in my lifetime. I could have cried, but there was no way to blow my nose so I made myself stop. My eyes got teary, though. He kept staring at my makeup and said I did a wonderful job.
IMG_5834.jpg

Here I am hugging the stuffing out of him. I didn't want to let go. He said I was shaking. Look how gigantic his hands are!!
IMG_5835.jpg

wow great pics..............funny how a lot of you still shows thru all that makeup. must be the eyes i suppose.

Wow! I had no idea that was Don Pedro Colley! I'm really feeling overjoyed for you (I feel a actual tear...) Congrats on meeting him. I'm so jealous of you and yet so proud of you! I certainly wish I was in your monkey-shoes that night, behind that makeup and being such a celebrity! :cool:

I am able to reuse the foam latex...I peeled it ever so carefully off. It took more than two hours, but it came off in one piece. It's very forgiving. I need to spray it down now with antibacterial spray and remove the glue that's still stuck on the back side of it with alcohol...and prep it for the next time. Some of the paint got stuck together and came off, where the foam latex folded onto itself when I removed it and let it stay like that overnight...but no biggie. This is superficial and can be touched up with more rubber mask grease paint. It's just that I have been too sick to clean it up properly, because I got the cold my kids were harboring the week before the convention.

Last edited:
That's great to hear, and good news indeed! I was afraid you'd only get a time one wear out of the prosthetic. I wonder how many times you'll be able to wear it before you have to buy another.

If I got a prosthetic, I think I'd get a gorilla. I'm asking you about the mask longevity because I'm starting to give this prosthetic thing some thought for the first time ever. :angelsmil

BTW - is that your real hair that swoops from your forehead towards your ear? That lighter color is really hip! I really like that.

No. Everything you see is a wig or parts of a wig. My real hair is snaked into princess leia braids high up on top of my head under the main wig. It's about 2 feet long and is jet black.

Apemania says you can get at least five uses out of the prosthetic appliances. I don't know yet. I'll let you know...

Back