Jessica's Planet: Life, Liberty & Pursuit of Happiness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those masks are amazing, can you explain how you made them? I understand that they are sculpted, but how did you make them in latex? I have a project for a puppet I'd like to make and these masks have the old juices flowing. Also do you accept commissions for 1:1 scale clothing projects?

To make the foam latex mask, you need to have a positive in Ultracal that you will sculpt on. If it's a puppet's face I guess a positive to sculpt on--But it's got to be in Ultracal 30, because you will need to bake it for 3-4 hours. And your positive needs to have proper keys and a lip so you can clamp your molds together during baking. I don't though...but you still need to have that lip...

Once you have the positive to sculpt on, you will sculpt your puppet's face in a clay--I have used KleanKlay and Monster Clay with success. Perfect that sculpt. Create an Ultracal mold of this. When you pry apart your mold, you will essentially destroy your sculpt, so your mold has to be perfect the first time. You need to make sure there are no air bubbles in that first layer...You can find YouTube instructions on mold making. Until you make it first hand, a lot of the jargon may go whoosh over your head...but don't let that get to you. Keep at it.

Purchase your foam latex kit, which has everything you will need. In addition, you will need a dedicated convection oven, and 10-speed mixer to whip up your foam latex. You should not use this for food ever...and you need to cook this outdoors because the fumes are dangerous/cancerous. Foam latex has ammonia in it. You will need a hygrometer to verify that the humidity levels aren't going to affect your batch. You need an oven thermometer to make sure that your temps are within the range...a stopwatch to time your latex mixing...lots of prayer cause everything's expensive....

You need to prep your molds before mixing the foam latex by cooking them about four hours each...to get rid of any humidity within your Ultracal 30. Any humidity will give off pockets of steam that will destroy your baked foam latex. You need to spoon your foamed up latex into your molds...trying to avoid air bubbles...and doing this within a 3 or 5 minute window, depending on humidity levels and also your chemistry of the foam latex...

Once you get your materials purchased, you will have dropped about $330 minimum. Kits cost around $75. Ultracal costs around $45 but shipping is frickin' expensive so if you can find something local it's better for you.

If you want a list...I can dig it out for you and send it via PM. It's a barebones list. You have to make sure your convection oven is large enough...or that your two-part mold will fit in there.

1:1 clothing is tricky because it needs to be fitted properly. You can have a pattern and sew it exact, but final tailoring needs to be fitted to the person.

Last edited:
Wow. I had no idea how involved it was. That may be a summer project then. Thank you for all of the information, it has been invaluable. I love your ape work. I myself always wanted to be Galen and run around with Burke and Verdon.

Yes, that is why there's always Apemania to fall back on if you need to get your ape on...but then again you are looking at $160 unpainted foam latex appliance. You have not purchased ears, pax paint, rubber mask grease, prosthetic aide, black tooth enamel, black nail polish, 99% alcohol...WIG!! (Those are pricey and real human hair works best...)....So many things involved with getting your ape on. Plus if you want it done right you have to invest in a 3-hour makeup session minimum to glue everything and blend....and you are also looking at a 2-3 hour removal of that makeup....so when you get your ape on it's pretty much worth your while to leave it on for a minimum of 12-15 hours.

There's also the woochie ape foam latex masks but I really don't like the way those look and I bet they do that on purpose to avoid C&D orders from Fox.

When you are ready for your project, let me know and I will dig up the list for you. It's really not for the faint of wallet...which is why I have to do everything myself regarding the ape costume...if I went with the Apemania route, I could easily hit $6000 if I get everything "deluxe"...but then again...that's still cheaper than the $8K-$10K storm trooper armour....Guess it depends on your priorities...and apes are my number one priority after family.

Last edited:
Back to the drawing board. Sculpt is oversized. CRAP!!!

DSC07864.jpg

DSC07857.jpg

DSC07862.jpg

Really? Looks ok to me. Maybe if you just shave down the cheeks some....

What body are you using? He looks fine with the head size. I think slimming down the face a bit will make him look just right.

This is the body that Ironman told me to purchase....the name escapes me though...Ducca or something:
dsc01646o.jpg

It's hard to see how he will look once I sculpt on his hair, but I think it will slim his face a bit. I just wish I did not lose the original sculpt. Seeing photos of it now I think with a resculpt of Link hair and pointy ears he would have passed.

DSC07876.jpg
DSC07878.jpg

Needs more work though...A lot of work. I'll try to repaint and try to not make it so cartoony. The figure is deceiving...it's very petite but the shoulders are very broad.

OMG OMG OMG!! I found my Ducca headsculpt!! YAY!!!

185027_10151286400280649_882016343_n.jpg

Link marches on...
420943_10151286710910649_718585791_n.jpg

559630_10151287240070649_293237803_n.jpg

524901_10151287240630649_329914225_n.jpg

I managed to pop the head back on. He looks absolutely fantastic, although this picture sucks...
1010122145a.jpg

Last edited:
Back