J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: J.J. Abrams' Star Trek 2

I enjoyed it, but i find it hard to watch too many times for these reasons...

I didn't like what they did with Kirk, namely how he's a swaggering brawling punk who thinks too much of himself and how he became "captain" through basically an accident rather than earning it.

I didn't like the Spock/Uhura thing, it took away from the original character so much

Didn't like how the bridge looked like an Apple Store (too white) and the afforementioned lens flare and wonky camera angles

Other than those it's a good film, poor adaption, but good film

I didn't care for the Spock/Uhura thing either but it wasn't that big a deal.

Like I said before, Kirk was a doughbag before becoming Captain.

The whole point of the first movie was to see Kirk's journey from a no responsibility ****** pissing his talents away to the captain of the Federation's flagship. You couldn't tell that story without a douchey Kirk.

I expect he won't be a ****** in this movie, but he'll still be Kirk.

:yess: :woo

I loved the first movie and I can't wait to see the sequel! :rock

spock-smiley.gif

I thought the first one was great. Glad they're finally starting the new one!

I'm on board with the changes they made. I guess ST is not that precious to me that I feel like any changes will affect my enjoyment of the movies. I think the characters stayed pretty true to who they ultimately are. Although I do think they are making Spock way too angry and volatile. But no biggie.

And I don't mind the lens flare one single bit. I grew up with lens flares galore in the early 80s movies from Spielberg and Carpenter, and pretty much anything cinematographers Dean Cundey, Douglas Slocombe and Jan De Bont touched. Even Ghostbusters has awesome lens flares!

They used to be a sign that anamorphic lenses were used in the filming to get that great 70mm widescreen aspect ratio, but actually using 35mm film. Nowadays it's all fake of course, but I think it still looks damn cool. LOVE the lens flare!

Yeah I didn't like the way they made the characters too, but it was not a prequel, it was some time traveling alternate universe..god I hated that aspect of the movie, wished it was a true prequel.

I actually liked that to some extent. It let the older Trekkies keep their Trek without bastardizing it in a reboot for the new generation unlike 99% of all the other current remakes.

I haven't see the first since it was in theaters, so I'll have to watch it again before 2 comes out. It was a fun ride.

Agreed, enjoyed the first and now excited to see the second.

I read somewhere, long time ago it seems, that the villain was going to be one of 5 TOS villains. If I remember I think it was Trelaine, Mudd, Khan, the "living" rock (Gorta)? and one more, can't remember. I wonder is they stuck to that or if they have imagined a new villain?

Loved the first one. Can't wait to see what Abrams does with the second.

I grew up watching the syndicated repeats of Star Trek. I liked the re-imagining of the characters, and I think everyone cast was spot on. I liked the Spock / Uhura romance. If I recall correctly, in the original TV series, Uhura and Sulu were linked...interracial romance was taboo on TV back then, but if it was two minorities it was okay, I guess. :dunno

The only scene I didn't like in the new movie was when Kirk was on the ice planet and got attacked by that ice beast. It was almost like 5 minutes had gone by and they needed one more cool action scene and special effect. Completely unnecessary. Other than that, I really like what he did to reboot the franchise. He still made it smart, while making it a heck of a lot of fun. Loved the inclusion of Captain Pike.

^ You know what, I forgot about that scene. While I enjoyed the scene itself, it makes no sense why they would essentially exile Kirk to his potential death. I'm sure the Enterprise has some kind of brig to keep prisoners.

Yeah that was pretty stupid. And too coincidental that he'd bump into old Spock and also Scotty if my memory of it serves me right

^ You know what, I forgot about that scene. While I enjoyed the scene itself, it makes no sense why they would essentially exile Kirk to his potential death. I'm sure the Enterprise has some kind of brig to keep prisoners.

Didn't Spock say that they would come back for him? I don't remember..

NERD ALERT: Wasn't he on a one of Vulcans's moons? Once Vulcan was destroyed , wouldn't the moon de-orbit and drift into space?

Didn't Spock say that they would come back for him? I don't remember..

NERD ALERT: Wasn't he on a one of Vulcans's moons? Once Vulcan was destroyed , wouldn't the moon de-orbit and drift into space?

I don't remember, either. He probably did did, but they marooned him on a planet / moon with no means of defending himself. :lol

Ah, no matter, Overanalyzing. It was an awesome film.

I just hope my favorite character from the first one comes back, Larry McLensflare.

19768_f260.jpg

I actually liked that to some extent. It let the older Trekkies keep their Trek without bastardizing it in a reboot for the new generation unlike 99% of all the other current remakes.

Yep, to me it was a perfect ST reboot... it involved time travel and set it up so that the old series remains intact, but they are now in a separte time line and can do whatever they want.

I read somewhere, long time ago it seems, that the villain was going to be one of 5 TOS villains. If I remember I think it was Trelaine, Mudd, Khan, the "living" rock (Gorta)? and one more, can't remember. I wonder is they stuck to that or if they have imagined a new villain?

I could have sworn reading that the sequel would be an adaptation of Space Seed... or maybe that was just wishful thinking :huh either way I really enjoyed the first film (and I'm a long time Trek fan) and really look forward to the next one.

Back