I've spent HOW MUCH on my collection?!?!?!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've spent at least £1000 ($1500) so far and it was only about 4 months ago that I started the madness that is 1/6 figures. Let's not even talk about the comic books and other collectibles over the years. The only reason I've not gone broke is that I had a lot of unspent money in the bank and until relatively recently it stayed that way as I hardly spent any money.

I think with many hobbies you start off buying loads, then the rush dies down and you settle into buying every once in a while.

I think with many hobbies you start off buying loads, then the rush dies down and you settle into buying every once in a while.

This is my plan. I won't need to keep expanding at this rate. I'll soon be down to one or less than 1 a month.

this is really a scarry hobby. I started in July 2011:horror
started with ironman mark vi exclusive version $295
since then, I bought:
1. HT bruce Lee DX
2. HT red spiderman
3. HT New Goblin
4. HT RE Alice
5. HT Batman Begins toys Fair
6. scarecrow
7. Harvey dent
8. HT King Leonidas
9. HT jack sparrow
10. DX jack sparrow 2 pcs & 1 exclusive version:slap
11. babydoll
12. Amber
13. EB Rambo 2 pcs
14. EB 1/4 Batman
15. EB 1/4 Joker

on PO: samurai predator, batpod, DX 12, blackwidow, joker DX 11, joker DX 11 excl, amazing spiderman

I know it's not as much as some people, but I think it's a good time to stop buying everything I want..... and being a freaks member doesn't help me to sop buying. HELPPP!!!

tumblr_llhbe8M9F01qckkb3.gif

349dnv8.gif

If we start complaining about how much it costs...
As I said to someone today - It's only money. Money is a bunch of paper stuff with a few pictures and some words.. Me, I'd rather have the toys!!

The fact is simple - you're making money to spend 'em and spend your life to make money. So is it really a bad thing if you spend both on something that brings you aesthetic pleasure and emotional discharge? If 'yes' den better quit as fast as you can :lol

I was supposed to cut back, but couldnt help myself. Just spent another $215 on the Takara MP-08 Grimlock. I am sort of hoping the Hot Toys figures I want are delayed. If they all come in Oct-Dec as per the new schedule, it will be one hell of an expensive Xmas!!!

I was supposed to cut back, but couldnt help myself. Just spent another $215 on the Takara MP-08 Grimlock. I am sort of hoping the Hot Toys figures I want are delayed. If they all come in Oct-Dec as per the new schedule, it will be one hell of an expensive Xmas!!!

I limit my purchases to licenses I actually like as well as considering if I actually like the figure(s). I might only buy one or two that I really like and feel are iconic to that movie/book/comic/tv series. Therefore I'm unlikely to ever add more to my 1989 Batman, since he is iconic for me and I don't feel the Joker or Batmobile to be necessary to my collection. Of course, I'm sure there are people out there who'll disagree about that four wheeled bad boy!

I'm getting to the point where my collection is "complete", just waiting for T1000 and Joker 2.0, though there is a spur of the moment bid on eBay, which may come to $100-ish :wink1:

I remember going crazy when I 1st really got hooked into this hobby. I was buying all sorts of scales & anything which I thought looked cool & as I'm sure you all know there's a lot of cool looking stuff when it comes to this little hobby of ours but I've since sold of most of my collection to focus on just 3A & what ever 1/6 Preds HT decides to put out. Good news is that I got my money back & abit more :yess:

Too much... is the answer.... :yess: WAAAYYYY too much if I start thinking about it.....

Yeah, I have been telling myself that I should cut down. With recent price hike, I probably will have to slow down on 12 inch figures and get my collection fix elsewhere....

I estimate over about $2800 since march this year.:medic

-DXBatman and Joker both from 89 $520*
-DX4 with Extra Body plus MrHand with claws $500*
-T1000 with extra Body for Biker Cop and Sarah Connor $280
-Black spiderman and Art Figs Punisher 300
-Superman and Lex 220
-MMS71 Dark Knight 280
-Ironman Mark 6 300
-3 Bruce Willis Figures 300*

2 Detolfs $60 for both on Craigslist

Correction. Waiting for T1000, Joker 2.0, bidding on eBay and working on a kitbash. This budgeting is not going that well...

The fact is simple - you're making money to spend 'em and spend your life to make money. So is it really a bad thing if you spend both on something that brings you aesthetic pleasure and emotional discharge? If 'yes' den better quit as fast as you can :lol

I completely agree...unless the spending causes financial distress which diminishes the pleasure of having the figures. To be honest, I would imagine that many of us have an unhealthy addiction to this hobby. I really push myself to spend on the things that mean the most even though I want mostly everything. It is hard to pass on the things I genuinely want but if I don't then other areas of my life will suffer due to the financial hardship.

It's probably not a good idea to keep track of how much you've spent since you started collecting, cuz it could only make you sad. As long as you budget before making a purchase and you could afford it, then it's all good. I try to think of it as one purchase at a time. I think I lost track after the first 10k spent.

I completely agree...unless the spending causes financial distress which diminishes the pleasure of having the figures. To be honest, I would imagine that many of us have an unhealthy addiction to this hobby. I really push myself to spend on the things that mean the most even though I want mostly everything. It is hard to pass on the things I genuinely want but if I don't then other areas of my life will suffer due to the financial hardship.

True. The flip side is that money isn't a problem and you spend without a second thought as a result, then each purchase ends up feeling hollow and the pleasure of having them can diminish. Instead, sometimes you need to step back and get some perspective, appreciate the collectibles you already have. That's where pacing really helps.

Just found out today my T1000 was left in the local Royal Mail depot. Once I bring it home I think I'll leave it and open at a later date, savour the feeling of having a new collectible to open. The kitbash I'll be working on bit by bit.

Last edited:
I hate these types of threads. I just make me feel guilty about the hobby. If I were to round up my expenses for eating out I guess I would cringe over that too, so I just don't do it. Not only that, if I were to drink, go out regularly and smoke, the numbers on that would probably make me cry (taking for reference how my acquaintances live their lives). Ignorance is bliss when it comes to this.

I reckon another $1500 in the next 6-8 months will do for me. This should cover the next 4 DX releases and City Hunter Predator. Hopefully that also covers one impulse buy, but I doubt it!! :lol

EDIT: Just remembered there should be the SSC ESB Darth Vader this year (?). So there goes the little bit of fat to cover my impulse buy!!!

Back