It's a Bird... It's a Plane... It's a Superman Musical!?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Article by GuardianOfChaos
It's a Bird... It's a Plane... It's a Superman Musical!?

Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerful than a locomotive. Able to take your breath away with song and dance!?

Some of you may already be aware of the existence of the Superman musical from 1966 entitled “It’s a bird…It’s a plane…It’s Superman!” For those unaware, it’s everybit as cheesy and fun as it sounds. Right off the heels of the Spider-man musical coming out, a revival and re-imagining of the Superman musical is in production.

The production is planned to run from June 18th to July 25th, 2010 at the Dallas Theater Center in Texas. This version is being re-imagined however to match the more modern times. Instead of battling standard crooks and mad scientists, Supes will be facing off against gangs of super villains in his efforts. It may also try and step away from the cornier attempt of the past. My question is if they can manage to make a “Superman Musical” come off as anything but cheesy. To be fair though, the super hero/villain musical has been done and come off really solemn before a la “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-A-Long Blog.”

I can’t wait myself and envision the glorious spectacle of Supes flying over the audience on wires singing about how he longs to be “just like everyone else.”

Oh. And PLEASE PLEASE let Darkside be in it and sing. The pure visual image of that just sends shivers down my funny bone. Any thoughts as to what other villains should be in it and get their own numbers? Post to the facebook blog and discuss.

I have the vinyl OCR (original cast recording) of It's a Bird... and I may even have the VHS of the TV movie they made of it in the 80s with Loretta Swit as Lois Lane.

But with Spider-man swinging to a musical theater near you, it's not surprising that Superman is close behind. But they better start it from scratch. Spiderman has Julie Taymor and Bono, Superman's not going to cut it with that tired old book and songs from the 60s.

I have the vinyl OCR (original cast recording) of It's a Bird... and I may even have the VHS of the TV movie they made of it in the 80s with Loretta Swit as Lois Lane.

But with Spider-man swinging to a musical theater near you, it's not surprising that Superman is close behind. But they better start it from scratch. Spiderman has Julie Taymor and Bono, Superman's not going to cut it with that tired old book and songs from the 60s.

I have the VHS too - Loretta Switt is in it, but Lois was played by Lesley Ann Warren who almost got the part in Superman the Movie. It's a terribly awkward and cheesy musical - even back then. The TV superman was rather skinny too.

Itsabird-tv.jpg

Musicals of Sci-Fi/Superheroes/Fantasy characters/movies are the lamest and laziest thing to do...
LOTR failed... Spiderman is coming and it WILL suck... this one looks bas as well...

I have the VHS too - Loretta Switt is in it, but Lois was played by Lesley Ann Warren who almost got the part in Superman the Movie. It's a terribly awkward and cheesy musical - even back then. The TV superman was rather skinny too.

Itsabird-tv.jpg

Right, Loretta is the femme fatale. And I love Lesley Ann Warren, surprised I didn't remember that.

Back