Is it still worth it? (prices and tax).

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well as being new to the show Clarke is my first directly from SSC statue and that because of the "exclusive" feature of it. Overall its price and shipping costs were decent but as you imagine I am waiting a great "tax-hammer" when it arrives...I will update you on this, but to give you an example let me bring to this discussion my friend Obi-Wan:

Well to get him without any "taxes bonus" lol not only I have preorder him through a local retailer here in Greece but I have also pre-paid the hole statue just to get a 20% discount...do you want to know the discounted and already prepaid price for an item that is about to be with us on January-February 2013?...about 440 $US.
And that my friends I consider to be a fair price judging from our taxes and all here...because our LS has also to pay taxes and stuff as the retailer also makes orders from US...
Obi-Wan mythos final price when he arrives will be 550 $US, and that is a statue that costs 350 $US in the USA...

...yes we are addicted no doubt...

just got my isaac too. Lots of issues with that one too. 3 statues in a row with issues and those prices. This is really getting annoying. I'm gonna return 2 of them, but I guess all the custom/fedex money is lost.

Huh? Doesn't SS return the fed ex/ ups and customs fees if you return an item?

Huh? Doesn't SS return the fed ex/ ups and customs fees if you return an item?

Why on earth should they? Fed Ex fees goes to ............... surprise: Fed Ex. And customs fees goes to ............. another surprise: customs/the state. So why oh why should SS "return" something they ever claimed in the first place?

Why on earth should they? Fed Ex fees goes to ............... surprise: Fed Ex. And customs fees goes to ............. another surprise: customs/the state. So why oh why should SS "return" something they ever claimed in the first place?

Yes nobody says this is SS fault. This has nothing to do with them. We are just stating the huge taxes etc...or I think we do.

If SSC hadn't closed their European warehouse then they wouldn't have to pay these outrageous shipping and duty fees just to import their products. OP's gripe is valid and I sympathize. I'd say it's definitely NOT worth it.

I get it. In my last order, tax in the Philippines is roughly 30% on top of $50 shipping for a 1/6th figure.

I payed shipping, but on the fedex bill there's also some transport price included... i don't understand these numbers. am I paying shipping twice or how the hell do they come up with these outrageous prices.
I've also seen magic numbers appear in the charges I paid. Usually it is "CIF" (cost, insurance, and freight). No idea what that means in laymen's terms :lol

Still... I'm not in debt and it's totally worth it :yess:

If SSC hadn't closed their European warehouse then they wouldn't have to pay these outrageous shipping and duty fees just to import their products. OP's gripe is valid and I sympathize. I'd say it's definitely NOT worth it.

I cancelled pre-orders for around $2000 when they closed eu warehouse. Now I only order from SS when I really really really want the ex - and that's not often. Otherwise I order from an eu-retailer.

If Weta can have an eu warehouse I don't understand why SS can't

Yes nobody says this is SS fault. This has nothing to do with them. We are just stating the huge taxes etc...or I think we do.

Actually it is: they closed their eu warehouse! With that there would be no overcharged shippingcosts, no Fed Ex fees, no importtax, no customs.

Look at Weta - they know how to do it.

Actually it is: they closed their eu warehouse! With that there would be no overcharged shippingcosts, no Fed Ex fees, no importtax, no customs.

Look at Weta - they know how to do it.

I never knew they had a EU warehouse! Man this is disappointing. I mean I would buy 2 statues instead of one if you consider that I received a mail with potential customs and taxes cost for Clarke at the amount of...
:cut 230 USD!!! This is about 180 euros just to take him home from the airport! :slap:cuckoo:

Wish he could come with USG Ishimura instead :dunno

...guess never SSC EX for me again...

my conclusion too. If we atleast knew we got top quality items each time I wouldnt mind as much, but this is a gamble i can't afford.

Why on earth should they?
Well, if SS are sending out items that have passed their QC which arrive with poor paint application or ill fitting parts Etc. they should be refunding import costs.
If an item is damaged during shipping the courier should cover the cost.
If European collectors buy an item at a high cost in good faith they should receive the item in perfect condition.
SS QC is getting worse release by release.
It sucks being a British collector.
I'm in a situation now where i'm not happy with my Dutch Ex. I'm waiting for them to respond and hopefully send me a new body. If they don't I'm pretty screwed. What do I do? Send it back and say goodbye to over £70 in Fed-Ex fees or keep a £300 statue that I'm not happy with and shouldn't of ever got past QC?
I have 2 pre-orders from European sellers then that will probably be the last for me.
Will never order direct again unless they sort out the QC issues that are plaguing their recent releases.

:exactly: if I had those fees I'm out of this hobbie. I will keep maybe 3 pieces and the rest is a pass if not all of them. I can't pay those kind of fees. :(

We only buy direct from SS if we really want an Ex. Either for the switch out accessorie or low ES.
Then get shafted with poor QC.

We only buy direct from SS if we really want an Ex. Either for the switch out accessorie or low ES.
Then get shafted with poor QC.

Now I know why we all can't say ex or fail. With those fees I now understand. Still don't know how you all survive this hobbie. :thud:

I get it. In my last order, tax in the Philippines is roughly 30% on top of $50 shipping for a 1/6th figure.

I've also seen magic numbers appear in the charges I paid. Usually it is "CIF" (cost, insurance, and freight). No idea what that means in laymen's terms :lol

Still... I'm not in debt and it's totally worth it :yess:

Try seafreight :) That's what I'm doing now. It takes atleast a month (if you're not in a hurry) but it'll save you on taxes.

Back