Iron Man Mark XLII Life Size Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics! Glad it appears you got a good one, that's good news for IM fans for once.

Like Col said, pretty sure we all wish SSC stuck with the metallic paints as the original proto had but at least your end product wasn't a mess.

not bad, looks fairly good. I'm sure they will do the Avengers 2 armor since it's just a repaint. Maybe they will actually add the arc.

Just curious but what is it with the black panel lines?

It looks great where there are actual groves, but elsewhere like on the silver, it is a bit of an eyesore imo.

I know this is standard, but why?

(Probably still go ahead with my preoder)

thanks for taking the time to share your pics.

When you have a moment can you share your thoughts as well? what did you really like and what was less appealing?

Not a perfect piece by any means (and not as beautiful as the prototype) but, I have to say: I love it and will certainly keep it!

Click on the link at the bottom of my message for more pics...

IMG_5151_zps2uo8tsnm.jpg

Iron Man Photos by TheCurse9 | Photobucket

I'm sure it will come as no surprise but i've just heard a rumour that a certain MK43 Avengers 2 variant of this bust is in progress... :horror

It's not bad at all, I'm sure it has its presence and I kinda like it, which is a decent achievement if you consider how much I dislike this suit.
But it's light years from proto's paint app, that's for sure. I usually hear people saying "you can't expect 400$ figures to come out like proto", but what's the excuse here? This is a 1000$ piece, no shortcuts should be taken. Also, the arc reactor thing is (as usual) incredibly lazy. It would bug me forever, even with a good paint app, to have such expensive and big pieces like these busts missing on a detail like that. It's a punch in the eye.

thanks for taking the time to share your pics.

When you have a moment can you share your thoughts as well? what did you really like and what was less appealing?

Well, what I like:

- The presence of this bust. The added shoulders may not seem much but, in person, they make a big, BIG difference! I don't know how to explain it better but you can see the full "width" of Iron Man as if he were there and, having it on your desk, it's REALLY impressive. For fun, I took a "selfie" with it for some friends (who are used to my Premium Formats) and the first question they asked was: Who went at the office in that suit? LOL

- I love the Mk.42 colors (even more than the Mk.43). I tought the movie itself (IM3) was okay but I really like the dark red with the 2 different shades of gold.

- The light effects (reactor and eyes) are awesome and very bright. It would have been even better to get the same details as the Hot Toys 1:6 in the reactor but, honestly, I looked at many movie stills and, the light is so bright that you can't see any.

- The paint application is very good (except for the point I will make later). Almost no bleeding and nothing sloppy like the IP Maquette here. It's no small feat considering that there seems to be very thin lines of black paint between every plate.

What I didn't:

- The differences vs the prototype. Like everyone here, I was expecting the brush effect on metal and a more reflective (car-like) paint finish. That would have made this LSB an instant-sellout/homerun/grail. Instead, it's *just* a quality piece that compares very favorably among the other Sideshow IM LSB (some will say that it's not much!).

- Under a certain light/angle, on some part of the gold painted areas (light and dark), are what look like "dirty/greasy fingers stains" (they're not mine!!!). It doesn't seem to be embedded in the paint itself but it's as if the bust was handled too soon after paint had dried (or someone just ate KFC before packing it). If you look at the photo below, you will notice some in the dark gold area (there are some more less visible in the light area). If someone has an idea of what I could try to clean that without making it worse, I'm all ears.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this piece (yes, even at the $1,000 price tag). In my eyes, it's a very solid piece (much more, IMO, than okay/decent/acceptable). It could have been even better and I would exchange it for the prototype in a blink (who wouldn't?) but it's easily in the top-tier of the Sideshow pieces I own.

IMG_5207_zpskc4l4zu6.jpg

Not bad looking. Better than expected but still glad I canceled. I really wanted the brush metal and car finish look. Paint looks flat but well executed.

thanks for your thoughts Mr.Thecurse9. I have been waiting "forever" for the one life size iron man bust to add to my collection and I think this is going to be it.

I see you're in Canada as well. Did you order from someone up here or directly from Sideshow?

Not bad looking. Better than expected but still glad I canceled. I really wanted the brush metal and car finish look. Paint looks flat but well executed.

Yea, the same can be said about all the Iron Man busts in this line....brushed metal (especially on the faceplates) on the MKII, MIII and MKVII busts would've been amazing :( but alas...despite sideshows epic proto pics of this MK42 bust, you kinda knew that the production piece would'nt live up to it.

With that said, like you mentioned, at least the paints appear to be well executed on this piece and with the added shoulders, it sure makes it a contender for one of the best busts in the line so far for me...

Will definately pick it up later in the year (or will just wait for Sideshow to release the variant as i prefer the MK43 armour more than the MK42)

Yeah, I'm glad I passed on it as well. I just think it looks so bad after seeing the prototype. I refuse to give Sideshow any of my money until they start delivering that kind of quality (Quality that we already get from other companies).

Lhj3CjY.jpg

I feel like this is the first IM bust since the first War Machine that feels fully complete (arc reactor aside). SS really nailed the faceplate and the shoulders really flesh the whole thing out. As everyone says, the paint isn't the best and there are a few lumps but it hardly makes this piece a disappointment. Really glad I picked it up despite the Stark Week debacle.

These pictures look so much better than the production pics SS published.

The shoulders do finish the bust off nicely but make it hard to display.
I've never been able to fit my 1:1 Invincible Iron Man into my collection due to the width :(

I like it - I have the MK3 life size or would have probably picked this up (not a fan of the 42 colour scheme though) - if they do have the MK43 variant in the wings I might jump...

Lhj3CjY.jpg

I feel like this is the first IM bust since the first War Machine that feels fully complete (arc reactor aside). SS really nailed the faceplate and the shoulders really flesh the whole thing out. As everyone says, the paint isn't the best and there are a few lumps but it hardly makes this piece a disappointment. Really glad I picked it up despite the Stark Week debacle.

wow , this is the nicest iron man bust ive seen to date, wow

Back