Premium Format Iron Man Mark 42 1/4 Maquette by Sideshow Collectibles & Legacy Effects

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is such an odd release. In some photos, looks spot on to proto, in others...well, still not as bad as IP. One thing I will say, the more complex the piece, the easier it is to hide flaws, which is why I think they sort of disappear in some of these shots, wheareas when you zoom in on one area, they become obvious. Really wonder how they look 'in the room' in front of you. May have to take a run out to my LCS and see if they are carrying this one.

I'm the same.

Unfortunately without close up shots of the piece it is almost impossible to detect any paint app issues (except for something like general metalic finishes, or lack thereof e.g. The 42 1:1 bust). And given this statue is in excess of 50cm in height, it's not that hard to see paint app problems (if they exist) when you are looking them over in hand.

If you look through the bulk of the statue forums, how many of the paint app issues are only ones you can see very close up. Nearly all of them e.g. The recent Wonder Woman statue which had lots of close up pics with scuffs and nicks etc. But when viewed whole they looked pristine, which many weren't.

Its slightly interesting that on this particular thread, there haven't been any close up pics posted by fellow freaks. Maybe there just hasn't been alot of people getting this. But it being Iron Man I find that surprising. Or maybe not given recent releases.

And because the Iron Man series utilises black panel lining etc (some of which is never present on the proto shots) the chances for bad application of the paint go through the roof.

I just believe releasing proto pics of their products that 'they know' will never be met in quality by their production piece is morally wrong. No matter what one liner they put at the bottom of the photos.

Of course all of the above is only my opinion, and if people are happy with ther pieces, thats great.
:goodpost: Good comment on the black panel lining, that really can make or break an Iron Man release.

Absolutely.
:duff

Hey thanks man. These statues definitely have their flaws and I wish the black outlining was sharper, but they look so good on the shelf I have to keep them. Mk 42 is definitely a better effort from what I can see.

But from the replies I can tell that you guys just want the dirt, so I'll try to focus in on some flaws:

I agree that Sideshow has been sliding on quality and I agree with the criticism. I'm definitely more selective going forward and the shelves are getting kinda of full these days anyway.... but ultimately I decided to keep these statues because of the way they look

One *major* thing about these guys that I think Sideshow nailed are the poses and bases. Together I think these look so dynamic. In retrospect I would have preferred to skip the light up feature which I will never use and direct those production funds to the guys that was doing the black outlining :slap

Thanks for opting to post close up pics. Commenting here has nothing to do with "wanting the dirt" or wanting to be negative just for the sake it, we just want the truth in how statues look up close and not from 5 feet away before spending upwards of $500. I don't think that's asking a lot.

The pics speak for themselves as to the quality of the paint app on these SS IM statues and it's poor when compared to what other companies and even recasters producing on IM collectibles at this time. It's frustrating to know that 5 or 6 years ago Sideshow was willing and able to deliver an excellent Iron Man paint app at a competitive price and that it's become a distant memory. Now Iron Man fans are seeing sub par quality coupled with prices hikes release after release. It's a tough pill to swallow even considering dropping $450-500 on these products when competing companies like GG offer way better paint apps for the same price, and with the HT 1:4 right around the corner that will blow these away on all fronts. And of course you can spend a few hundred more importing from companies like IA, IS & XM all which deliver far better paint apps.

It's not like Sideshow is a start up company with limited resources and deadlines that impact the end products. For that customers may be a little forgiving/understanding. But we're talking about the 20 year industry giant here and Sideshow can do MUCH better for their IM fans. They just don't.

I agree with you about the Mk 42 pose, I like it a lot. The IP pose would have been great had Sideshow added the forearm rocket that all the fans begged for from day one, but they tuned everyone out and now he looks like he's doing a fist bump. The part of the base that's on the jagged rocks looks pretty nice, but the fact those rocks are then sitting in doggie bowls for no reason whatsoever ruins them.

You can bet the house you and everyone else would be hearing just what i think if i was sent this statue or any other statue with rubbish paint. :lol

:lol
Yeah because we love to spend hundreds of dollars on poorly painted statues :)

:exactly:

I ordered locally and remain optimistic. If I don't get a "good one" no harm done.

One thing is for sure, I would never order an iron man product directly from SS - not worth the headache to return the thing and go through the bureaucracy to get my taxes back from the government.

I also appreciate golobulus coming in here and weighing in with his close-up pictures of his MK42. Collectors like you will garner a lot more respect when you have integrity and can post pics the way you did, which in this case, highlights a very shoddy paint application. I know I mentioned truth, but it's also about not misleading potential collectors who might be very interested in buying this, but at the same time have no idea that the paint app is truly no good because there's no close up pics to prove that it really is no good.

I'd personally feel like **** if I got this and bent the truth by telling everyone that the paint app was good, and then posting a few pictures of the whole piece from just a few feet away to prove it. Especially if some of those people took my word for it and pushed that button to buy it. I wouldn't and couldn't do that to collectors. I'd rather owners just say, "You know what? The paint app on this isn't good at all in a lot of places, but it doesn't matter because I'm happy with it. Here's some close-ups so you can see what I'm talking about." So thanks for the integrity, golobulus. And I'm happy to know that you're happy with it. Because like Andy said, all that matters is you like it.

I don't know about any of you guys, but I like to get up close on my collectibles. Family and friends come to my place and get right up on my statues. They bend down to get a closer look. They ask all sorts of questions, like if they can touch them. They ask if any of the parts can move. They tap certain places of the piece with their finger. They're literally less than a foot away, getting blown away by the detail. I'm the exact same way, man. I dust my statues once a week, so yeah, I'm practically right on top of them and it would drive me crazy to have to see such low-budget paint apps like what you see with SS's IP and MK42.

I don't know about any of you guys, but I like to get up close on my collectibles. Family and friends come to my place and get right up on my statues. They bend down to get a closer look. They ask all sorts of questions, like if they can touch them. They ask if any of the parts can move. They tap certain places of the piece with their finger. They're literally less than a foot away, getting blown away by the detail. I'm the exact same way, man. I dust my statues once a week, so yeah, I'm practically right on top of them and it would drive me crazy to have to see such low-budget paint apps like what you see with SS's IP and MK42.

That's how i am with mine. I don't see how people don't get close to the statues. You have to clean them even if they're in displays.

I gotta be fair to people like Andy and Laudel that didn't post close up shots. They both said the paint job isn't perfect but they like the statues anyway. It's the ones that try to say they don't have these problems.

I gotta be fair to people like Andy and Laudel that didn't post close up shots. They both said the paint job isn't perfect but they like the statues anyway. It's the ones that try to say they don't have these problems.

I agree, those guys deserve a big thank you also.

I don't wanna jack this thread with pics of my GG IP, so if anyone wants to post close ups of an XM MK42, then please do. I can only imagine how good the paint app looks up close after seeing how awesome it is from a bit farther away. I'll be the first to say that my GG IP is not perfect either. However, I will say that the paint application is top-notch. It's so good that it looks like it was done by a programmed machine or robot. I do have about three knocks against it, though. The biggest knock for me was the shade of blue that was used. It should've clearly been darker. Had it been the same shade as the blue Sideshow used, it would've been an unstoppable IP statue. It might not have been dark enough, but thankfully the end color was still blue and not turquoise or a purplish blue (kinda like what was on their prototype).

Second was the over usage of shadowy lines throughout the piece. I'm sure they were going for some sort of weathered look, but I think it would've looked tons better had they toned those lines down a bit...especially around the head and facemask.

Lastly was the stencil decals that were used. They were very well made and placed in a way where they would never ever peel off. They're so good in fact that you can hardly see where the edges of the decals are. It looks like they were laser etched onto the statue...that's how good they are. However, they're definitely not as 'white' as they should be. At least not like Sideshow's. The one's in particular that seem too dark (or blend in with the paint) are the Air Force logos (the two on his waist and the one on his left forearm), and a few other smaller logos on his legs.

In the end, the quality of the paint app is what sold me. I can live with the minor mark downs, but that paint app I just couldn't pass up. That, and I am a member of the USAF, so it's a pretty cool feeling to able to own a quality piece of a famous comic character that was used in a movie to represent the branch of military I work for. Alright, I'm gonna jack the thread with a few of my own close-ups. This is what I think a great precision paint app should look like...

That's how i am with mine. I don't see how people don't get close to the statues. You have to clean them even if they're in displays.

:inlove
I am just too lazy to take close up pics and I am not a good photographer :lol I am very happy with mine and generally think it is better than most I have seen imo. But yes it does have flaws, but are not a big dead to me

I agree, those guys deserve a big thank you also.

:hi5:

I dust my statues regularly, but I'm not up on them with my nose pressed to them noticing every flaw. My normal sitting position in my man cave places my statues 5 to 15 feet away from me so I won't notice a few small paint bleeds. I agree they are there obviously, but I'm not bothered by something I have to be less than a foot away to notice. I will say IP had some really bad paint.

I also appreciate golobulus coming in here and weighing in with his close-up pictures of his MK42. Collectors like you will garner a lot more respect when you have integrity and can post pics the way you did, which in this case, highlights a very shoddy paint application. I know I mentioned truth, but it's also about not misleading potential collectors who might be very interested in buying this, but at the same time have no idea that the paint app is truly no good because there's no close up pics to prove that it really is no good.

Great post, I feel the same. Y4NK33 PL4N3T also mentioned his thoughts on truth.

As I posted in another thread, as long as we as collectors are fully informed on all the possible issues, and not given blanket it's perfect/great threads, then we are making informed purchases and the chances that we'll regret the puchases is unlikely.

I recently saw a youtube video review on this statue (naming no names) and the bulk of the review was full of blanket statements of how great it is, perfect paint app etc, and no close ups with the camera just a stationery piece. I know that reviews are just personal opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt, but there are some reviewers who I make a point of not watching, whether it is for statues or Hot Toys, as all I hear are the same 'it's great' statements for everything they review.

If I bought a statue based on the thoughts of one reviewer, I would probably deserve to get burnt. But for this statue we were getting good reviews/thoughts for awhile on this thread.

:goodpost: Good comment on the black panel lining, that really can make or break an Iron Man release.

Thanks.

Is it really a benefit applying the blacklines? Sometimes I think they should just forego them. If anyone wants them, I'm sure the collector could do a better job, as we wouldn't rush the application.

If only we were given the option. But that's only possible with custom pieces.

Once I've put my collectibles in my acrylic displays I rarely if ever have to dust them. As I don't have a big collection because of space restrictions I usually have custom acrylic cases (covers with bases) made up for them, and in the case of PF statues, individually. And because there aren't any gapes like there would be for a basic detolf etc I don't have dust issues.....well I have to dust the covers, but that only takes a few seconds.

BobaNerd, love the GG. Other then the stated black shadows that's how paint should be applied.

Just like how we were taught as little kids to paint/colour within the lines

But with regards the black lines/shadowing I'm thinking that's more or less the method that all companies should use to apply the shadowing line effect. Just maybe be a little bit softer with it. Because with this method imo going across panels isn't that big a problem as long as it's not done too much. Which unfortunately was done with the faceplate in this case.

I was considering getting this but the blue/purple on the proto turned me against it. And though the pose is great it did give me concerns.

Yeah because we love to spend hundreds of dollars on poorly painted statues :)

Ya, in a way by keeping these I guess I am letting Sideshow get away with this crap. Honestly though, I'm just about done. I'm mostly a Star Wars fan and got into statues when they were $350 and 1/6th were $100. Man I miss those days!!!!

Any idea what the 1/4 scale Hot Toys Iron Man is going to run? I would guess just under $600.

The $$$ inflation has been talked about a lot on these boards but it's getting to the point where it's just not worth it anymore. Quality can't go down with pricing going up and still keep me excited about it :slap It was the 1/6th Speeder Bike and trooper that knocked me off my chair originally. They are charging close to what I paid for my 1/4 scale version! The 1/4 hot toys do look awesome, especially the Boba Fett, but man they are charging for it.

It's Friday, been a long week, just ranting....

EDIT: also Robertobagg, awesome picture!

I'd personally feel like **** if I got this and bent the truth by telling everyone that the paint app was good, and then posting a few pictures of the whole piece from just a few feet away to prove it. Especially if some of those people took my word for it and pushed that button to buy it. I wouldn't and couldn't do that to collectors. I'd rather owners just say, "You know what? The paint app on this isn't good at all in a lot of places, but it doesn't matter because I'm happy with it. Here's some close-ups so you can see what I'm talking about." So thanks for the integrity, golobulus. And I'm happy to know that you're happy with it. Because like Andy said, all that matters is you like it.

No prob man! I'm not trying to sway anyone either way. My statues go behind plexi on the shelves though to keep the kiddies away so I generally observe them from a distance. I'm surprised you can handle people coming over and wanting to touch them! :panic: I'm definitely a "You see with your eyes and not with your hands" curator unless I *really* know you :lol

I dust my statues regularly, but I'm not up on them with my nose pressed to them noticing every flaw. My normal sitting position in my man cave places my statues 5 to 15 feet away from me so I won't notice a few small paint bleeds. I agree they are there obviously, but I'm not bothered by something I have to be less than a foot away to notice. I will say IP had some really bad paint.
It's more if i know it's painted bad it bugs the hell out of me. Yes it might look ok from normal distance, but knowing it has bad paint drives me insane. Hence i'd get rid of it. I know no statue i own will have perfect paint though. I'm talking about statues like the IP & 42.

I received mine and I am quite happy with it!

View attachment 190126

View attachment 190129

View attachment 190130

View attachment 190131

With Iron Patriot:

View attachment 190132

This is why I bought them together. They are not perfect but I love them on the shelf together!

View attachment 190133

This is just a temporary location... need to make room for them behind the glass:

View attachment 190134

Congrats golo they do look great together. I am glad that you got a piece you can really enjoy.

From FB:

10440958_10206766514989558_5465160768775367670_n.jpg

11124770_10206766515469570_5464410051921121677_n.jpg

11201824_10206766517589623_8356840199312924177_n.jpg

11377231_10206766517549622_1856327911154936677_n.jpg

11392826_10206766518149637_5013321865889330290_n.jpg

11425160_10206766518269640_8528357081523898418_n.jpg

See those don't look "horrible" to me. Not great, but not devastatingly bad either. I think if I got a MK44, 45, 7, or 3 that was that well painted I coul be happy with it.... Not over the moon bat**** crazy ecstatic, but happy enough to display it in my collection. I just wouldn't get close enough to do a determitalogical exam on it. I will say there has to be a better way to do those black lines.... I just dont know what yet.

See those don't look "horrible" to me. Not great, but not devastatingly bad either. I think if I got a MK44, 45, 7, or 3 that was that well painted I coul be happy with it.... Not over the moon bat**** crazy ecstatic, but happy enough to display it in my collection. I just wouldn't get close enough to do a determitalogical exam on it. I will say there has to be a better way to do those black lines.... I just dont know what yet.

Not sure if you're aware that the Mk 44 is Hulkbuster (?), so if these poor paint apps appear on an armor that huge they will be magnified and even harder to ignore.

....... I will say there has to be a better way to do those black lines.... I just dont know what yet.

Black line/Panel lining isn't too difficult especially when there are preexisting grooves to use.

Just use a black panel wash. Any excess simply wipe away without staining the adjoining plates. Easy. Maybe use a coat between the primary colours and the applied black lines which would make it easier to remove any black line errors.

But it takes a little longer (maybe more then a little). Especially the way SS apply their lines. It's almost criminal. I could apply better panel lines to my model kits when I was in primary school.

Which is why I would really wish they would stop with the black lines. Well at least until they change production factory methods.

Back