I Just Finished Watching Angel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, you have convinced me. Now it's time to convince my wife. We both LOVED every moment of Angel. She has quite a hang up that it's going to be very cheesy, and will not be able to get past that.

Can you guys essentially "sell" Buffy to me so that I can sell it to her? She's convinced that you guys like it, but is not yet convinced that she will.

Please help!!!

My girlfriend who likes shows like Sex and the City, Law and Order and Friends...LOVES Buffy. She only started to watch it with me again because I was rewatching and wanted to hang out with me and and she is now addicted.

That's good to know - I have no doubt that she will like it when she starts watching it - but I need more to get her to START watching it!

BTW, she's not a typical girl - she hates Sex and the City.

Yeah, I hear you. I have no idea what her hang up is... Anyway, it's cool. If you guys have any more to add, please do, but I'll basicly force her down to watch it.

Thanks again for all your input. Nice to discover a new part of the board and a whole new set of freaks. :)

Angel is a great series (especially the first season with Doyle), but I think it lacked some of the complexity of Buffy (with a larger and more interesting cast). I think both have their silly moments but overall deserve to be considered serious dramas.

Yeah, I hear you. I have no idea what her hang up is... Anyway, it's cool. If you guys have any more to add, please do, but I'll basicly force her down to watch it.

Thanks again for all your input. Nice to discover a new part of the board and a whole new set of freaks. :)

HAHa yes this part of the board rocks!

buffy was good especially Seasons 2,3,6,7 but you should have to force anybody to watch buffy it a just a great show....Plus you can tell her Angel in it LOL...but defiantly see firefly it has a Angel feel to it she like it.

Alright, you have convinced me. Now it's time to convince my wife. We both LOVED every moment of Angel. She has quite a hang up that it's going to be very cheesy, and will not be able to get past that.

Can you guys essentially "sell" Buffy to me so that I can sell it to her? She's convinced that you guys like it, but is not yet convinced that she will.

Please help!!!

Tell her that a lot of people think Angel is cheesy, but as she saw, it's the good cheesy.

And even if she doesn't like Buffy, she will understand a few of the Angel characters better.

And remind her it's free to watch on hulu.

Worse case senario, I know several scenes with shirtless hot actors. I can link you to screencaps if necassary. Show them to her, and in case she's american, tell her two of the actors(one of them the shirtless ones) other than Wesley, got British accents.

It should work.

Buffy season one is pretty hard to get thru, save for a few episodes. But just tell your wife MUCH NAKED SPIKE coming soon. That'll do it ;)

Buffy season one is pretty hard to get thru, save for a few episodes. But just tell your wife MUCH NAKED SPIKE coming soon. That'll do it ;)

I wouldn't say hard but after seeing the rest of the show it is harder to get through when doing a rewatch.

I'm a huge Angel fan. I think I've seen the complete series about a dozen times. TNT airs 2 episodes from 6 - 8 am Monday thru Friday and I always watch it. I've considered buying the DVD collectiion, but unless it contains some really cool extra stuff, I don't think I'd ever watch it since I can see it for free on TV.

It remains one of my all time favorite shows, which is why I was completely disappointed when SSC dropped the ball with the Premium Format Angel :( Fortunately, they redeemed themselves a bit with the Premium Format Spike.

Eric

Buffy was a stronger series overall than Angel, but Angel started and ended better than Buffy did. If it wasn't for the meat (seasons 2-6) in between the bread (seasons 1 and 7), I would have liked Angel more of the two.

Welcome to the Whedonverse, Reinhardt! I'm so jealous that you get to experience all these shows for the first time. DEFINITELY hit up Buffy on Hulu/Netflix. Whedon's characters are so indelible that I cannot imagine the actors as anyone else but Buffy, Angel, Giles, Willow, Wes, Mal, Jayne, Wash, etc.
In fact, at SDCC we were at the 'V' panel where they showed the pilot episode. Once Alan Tudyk (Wash in 'Firefly') appeared in the beginning credits of the episode EVERYONE went crazy! You definitely knew who the Whedon fans were there! Of course it helped that the Dollhouse and Joss Whedon/Eliza Dushku panels happened to be right after the screening of 'V'. :rotfl:rotfl

It remains one of my all time favorite shows, which is why I was completely disappointed when SSC dropped the ball with the Premium Format Angel :( Fortunately, they redeemed themselves a bit with the Premium Format Spike.

Eric

Well it wasn't a total disaster. The Vamp head on the exclusive was wonderful, it's just that the human face was quite poor and the outfit they chose to dress him was an utter disaster! He never even wore that in this show, just on one publicity shot, and that had been for Buffy! :rotfl

You should get AtS on DVD If you can as the extras are very good.

In fact, at SDCC we were at the 'V' panel where they showed the pilot episode. Once Alan Tudyk (Wash in 'Firefly') appeared in the beginning credits of the episode EVERYONE went crazy! You definitely knew who the Whedon fans were there! Of course it helped that the Dollhouse and Joss Whedon/Eliza Dushku panels happened to be right after the screening of 'V'. :rotfl:rotfl

That would have been so fun to go to. Tudyk is awesome in Dollhouse... well, quite frankly, EVERYONE is awesome in Dollhouse. Kick ass show.

Reinhardt, if you find season one of Buffy a little flat, it's just twelve episodes, as I seem to recall it started out as a summer filler show, or something like that. I don't think you'll regret it.

I just can't say whether Buffy is better than Angel, they both have such strong points. So, okay, let's put it to the ultimate test: If I had to choose one to have with me stranded on a desert island (with an HD tv, power, air conditioning, and food!), then my answer is Buffy. Because Buffy will always have "Once More With Feeling", and that would be enough for me! :banana

The funny thing is that some of the best Buffy episodes started in the second half of season 2 but you really needed to get to know them before that or else individually it wouldn't matter as much.
Once you get to the Angelus arc, the Faith arc, Hush, OMWF, The body, The gift, etc its classic.

I agree with Anzik completely! That is really where Buffy hit it's stride, but it was built up on some other great episodes and character development that came before.

I thought Angel would get really boring and tiresome sometimes. Its usually

-vision
-someone is trouble
-angel gives them advice
-fight
-rinse repeat.

But Angels story arcs were amazing, and made it worth it. I just didn't like the episodic monster of the week stuff.

Back