HT Predator 1 Dutch

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys MMS: Predator 1 Dutch + Billy

So you're saying you know for a fact that they have no rights to the actors' likenesses?

I'm saying the style of the camo paint is intentional. Take from that what you will.

I haven't really bothered with the other thread... but it is better to only have one. Less confusion or chance you'll miss something important.

Re: Hot Toys MMS: Predator 1 Dutch + Billy

HT nor SSC will ever tell you - "yea, the sculpt is great, but we had to mess up the paint so it doesn't look like the actor - couldn't get the rights."

Nowadays when a studio signs an actor for a big film they secure the likeness rights as well. That's why there's no problem with Bale and Ledger from Batman or Downey with Iron Man. The studio controls everything regarding licensing rights for merchandise.

But that's only come about in the last few years, probably since '89 Batman when merchandising became such a huge part of Nicholson's deal. So older films won't have any provision in the contract about using the actors' photo or likeness for merchandise.

Even SSC had to do it with PotA Brent. They couldn't put Tony Francioso as Brent on the box because they couldn't get likeness rights from the actor or actor's estate, not because of anything that Fox had control over.

With the Universal monsters they had to go to the estates of Lugosi, Karloff, etc., not just Universal.

How do they get around it? The sculpt is probably dead on, when it's being sculpted they are probably still trying to deal with the actor's representative. But if they can't make a deal then when the piece comes out they obscure the likeness with paint ops. We can see this with some of the Aliens repaints where the likeness really comes through with a decent paintjob. A sculpt isn't a photo where the actor's rep can say "that's definitely my client and you owe us for likeness use". If there's an gray area for plausible deniability then HT is off the hook.

I don't understand any controversy with the likeness issues. HT is just doing the older licenses the way they've always done them. Both figures have to be painted in a way that allows HT to get around the Actor's likeness issues. Big deal.
I'm just more then happy with what we're getting, these two look great. If they only require a paint job to get them 100% looking like the actors, then I'm more then happy. I actually prefer this Arnold sculpt to Sideshow's Terminator (Sorry Andy).

As for the weapon in accuracies: Arnold did use that knife, he throws it at a Guerrilla and says "Stick around". It's unknown if he'll come with that machete he had strapped to his back. Billy's rifle is inaccurate, it should be a M16A2 with a Remington M870 shotgun slung underneath. But I think a few versions of that type of setup have been released by Dragon and other companies. I'll have to look around but the wrong weapon isn't too much of a big deal for me. It's close enough.

Am I the only one who finds it funny that Billy took the time to camo up his face but left his arms completely bare? It just goes to prove that HT used the camo to cover up the face's likeness.

Just to clear up incase all my talk about likeness rights lost this fact, I am not against them doing that whatsover, I understand it must be done and for the chance to get figures based on this movie, it's worth it. We'll get a (likely) Yulli Arnold sculpt as Dutch, which you're not going to be able to find similar quality on eBay and such in random portraits, so I'll take needing a repaint over a subpar head.

I simply thought I would explain the situation for people who may be new to Hot Toys and not understand the things they've had to do in the past because it seemed many assumed the paint jobs on the face were screw ups, and past problems with rights tied to older 20th Century Fox properties have resulted in similar situations, increasing the likelihood that this was all a necessary action to be able to put out these figures with the sculpts they're including.

I know that I see Arnold in the sculpt with my "magic painter's eyes" :lol

With a good repaint and the proper camo, Dutch will be badass once again. HT does this all the time, I'm used to it. Just look at Hicks and Hudson.

Last edited:
Of course they do it all the time,i m just a little sad they had to do it with this figure knowing how much people were looking forward to it.If i had your skills i would nt mind either.Fact is i ca nt even paint a room:lol and i suspect it s the same for the majority of us here.

Wo nt stop me buying it and the rest of them.Im HTs ^^^^^^!!

Yeah, I wish Likeness issues weren't such a big deal. I know if some company wanted to make a "Josh" figure, I wouldn't care a bit. I just don't understand how some celebrities can hate on their fans like that.

If the final products end up like those pics I'll be content enough - not as content as if they were 100% accurate but happy nonetheless.

I know one thing major I didn't buy the first 3 Aliens USCMs because they didn't have the likenesses...nothin', nothin' on this earth is gonna stop me buying these.

hi everyone. my first post. I had told myself that I wouldn't be buying any of the Predator 1 commandos except maybe only Dutch. BUT, Dutch and Billy look f-ing bad ass! Now Dutch is definitely on my must have list. I'm excited that they are releasing Dutch first.:monkey5

hi everyone. my first post. I had told myself that I wouldn't be buying any of the Predator 1 commandos except maybe only Dutch. BUT, Dutch and Billy look f-ing bad ass! Now Dutch is definitely on my must have list. I'm excited that they are releasing Dutch first.:monkey5

:rock:rock:rock:rock Welcome!!!!!

they both look really bad ass. :D
This line will go far , predator is one of those cult classics that not only nerds can like. I mean I have family members who have gone across my shelves looked at all the stuff and said.
" Well what a load of crap. ":rotfl
Then they see my predator stuff and go " Predator is great though , the movie was brilliant.

Predator and aliens fan base has gone gigantic over the last few years.
In fact I doubt these figures would of even been made was it not for alien vs predator coming out and hot toys getting the license for the figures.
Once they realized how well they were doing on the primary and secondary market they fought for anything they could alien and predator and its certainly all payed off.
Even though the avp movies sucked alot more than the original movies we should show them a little more love , if it wasn't for the first one we probably wouldn't be getting these. :rolleyes::cool:

Welcome by the way , be sure to introduce yourself.
:rock

Back