HT Predator 1 Dutch

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys MMS: Predator 1 Dutch + Billy

Nobody loves Hot Toys more than me,them and Enterbay are getting most all of my figure spend this year but i wish we could see a definitive statement about this licencing crap once and for all.I completely agree that Schwartzenegger was Dutch in the movie and that figure is Dutch-therefore it is Schwartzenegger!!Same with Ripley.

What the Hell is the problem??Why all this stuff about "disguising" the sculpt?I do nt appreciate being treated like an idiot when these things clearly are nt idiots money.

Seeing these new pictures, I really believe the paints apps on both portraits is to get around likeness rights problems, it seems an odd thing to be occurring since it hasn't been a problem since ALIENS, but the eyes on Arnold look inhuman in color, the camo is totally off and obstructing, I really think they're playing the rights game with these and getting figures to match the film will take hiring a custom painter to fix them. Be curious to see how they handle Mac and Dillon.

I can buy that for Arnold, but the guy playing Billy is pretty much a nobody, I don't think there would be any license issue with him.

I can buy that for Arnold, but the guy playing Billy is pretty much a nobody, I don't think there would be any license issue with him.

Well, I'd say the same about the guy who played Drake in Aliens, he's done more than Billy but he's still no Arnold but they had to hide his face too. My guess is however they are allowed to make official movie products, something says their figures can't look exactly like the actors. Even as much as Reese is pretty close to Beihn, it's not a perfect sculpt and the paint apps don't make it look that much like him for Hicks and Reese.

Nobody loves Hot Toys more than me,them and Enterbay are getting most all of my figure spend this year but i wish we could see a definitive statement about this licencing crap once and for all.I completely agree that Schwartzenegger was Dutch in the movie and that figure is Dutch-therefore it is Schwartzenegger!!Same with Ripley.

What the Hell is the problem??Why all this stuff about "disguising" the sculpt?I do nt appreciate being treated like an idiot when these things clearly are nt idiots money.

Why do you think you're being treated like an idiot? This is all about 20th Century Fox not getting in a legal battle with them, not customers.

Look guys, we just have to stop an think; There's several more months before the first two are released, so there's plenty of time for them to correct the cons and better the pros. Also, we should just be happy that we are even getting them! I know that I didn't see it coming! I expected just to get one version of the P1 Predator! I do understand that there are too many cons for a $100+ figure.

Cons
Incorrect Hair Color
Face Paint too Thick
Wrong Camoflauge Pattern
Billy has Wrong Gun
Dutch has knife which wasn't in the film
Dutch has Tanktop

Either way, I'm going to preorder all of these when they are released because I have a distinct feeling that these guys are going to blow up just as the USCM Marines did. Dutch will reach prices just as Hicks did. Also, tell me these guys wouldn't look good facing your USCM's!

-CJK

How come Hot Toys doesnt get hit when using actors likenesses on thier military line? Also,I would hope that once somebody purchases licsencing rights to an I.P. that includes the whole property.Shame on FOX for not letting HT tap their brilliant sculpting talents!

How come Hot Toys doesnt get hit when using actors likenesses on thier military line? Also,I would hope that once somebody purchases licsencing rights to an I.P. that includes the whole property.Shame on FOX for not letting HT tap their brilliant sculpting talents!

Hot Toys military figures are generic and named based on their military position, not people names so I'm sure the sculpts fall under the public figure rules so if you want to use Ed Norton's face, there's no protection of his face as a person.

With ALIENS and Predator, it becomes Arnold as Dutch, and whatever Fox's deal with HT is regarding likenesses, goofy paint apps that distort the likeness to a certain extent are passable. What I wonder now, is just how much Kane and Dallas will look like the actors beyond the glimpses we've seen, as they're also Fox. HT is very talented though, I can't imagine they'd mess up the camo paint or hide nice sculpts like this unless it was to cover their asses.

Yes, this is definetly not HT's fault...and for the last time, THESE ARE EARLY PICS! Need I remind everyone...

This...
216ref1-rocky_3x4.jpg

became this by release...
Picture010.jpg

How does messing up the camo pattern or the equipment cover their asses in any way, though?

It's an attempt to obscure the sculpted likeness. Is it really that confusing? :)

It's an attempt to obscure the sculpted likeness. Is it really that confusing? :)

Sigh... No it is not confusing. My point is that the *correct* camo pattern could obscure the sculpt just as well. Unless by "camo pattern" he meant "amount of camo paint used." And it still doesn't explain any of the other faults that have been mentioned above (wrong equipment or clothing, etc.)

I think Maulfan's theory is certainly plausible, but I also think you have to at least entertain the idea that they simply got some things wrong. They're not perfect. Not every misstep is the result of some hidden plan.

That lower pic of the closeup of the arm shows a shoulder joint link regular figure bodies and not a single piece like their normal rubber muscle body. Wonder if that is how they will ship? Would make for far easier shoulder articulation.

That's what I'm hoping; it really doesn't detract from the figure much at all.

As far as the Arnold sculpt, I'm really happy with it. And a little custom paint can really bring the likeness out even more. I think Les's repaint of Drake illustrates that well.

How does messing up the camo pattern or the equipment cover their asses in any way, though?

Equipment is just a mistake on their part like Jack Sparrow's coat, that happens, but paint apps on the face can totally cover their asses as it did with ALIENS.

Yes, this is definetly not HT's fault...and for the last time, THESE ARE EARLY PICS! Need I remind everyone...

This...
216ref1-rocky_3x4.jpg

became this by release...
Picture010.jpg

A valid point, but A) that was Hot Toys back before they really got going when their sculpts and paints were pretty good and improvements were made but now they're pretty much 1:1 with paint jobs, what you see on the proto you get on the production piece, and B) Billy's camo is so departed from the movie, it covers his whole face where the film camo was like a football or baseball player does, it really makes me think it's off with intent. HT is like dead on every time just about these days, for these figures to be so off like this, I can't comprehend it as being a slip up, it'd be the hugest back step ever, I really think it's on purpose.

Sigh... No it is not confusing. My point is that the *correct* camo pattern could obscure the sculpt just as well. Unless by "camo pattern" he meant "amount of camo paint used." And it still doesn't explain any of the other faults that have been mentioned above (wrong equipment or clothing, etc.)

I think Maulfan's theory is certainly plausible, but I also think you have to at least entertain the idea that they simply got some things wrong. They're not perfect. Not every misstep is the result of some hidden plan.

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything. :) Fact is, Maulfan is right, what he's described is actually much more common than you realize (and I can tell you that it's not just a 'theory' in this particular case).

*edit: I'm only speaking of issues with likeness, not any faults found in the rest of the figure.

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything. :) Fact is, Maulfan is right, what he's described is actually much more common than you realize (and I can tell you that it's not just a 'theory' in this particular case).

*edit: I'm only speaking of issues with likeness, not any faults found in the rest of the figure.

So you're saying you know for a fact that they have no rights to the actors' likenesses?

What am I missing here ?( and I'm not being a smart ass , I'm seriously wondering ) , why would it be on purpose ?.
I've missed something here. :monkey2

I don't understand law nor know what laws exist that allow owners of rights to films and such to control if actor likenesses are used in products, but somehow, Hot Toys can release figures without rights to the actor likenesses and use sculpts that look like the actors so long as the paint apps are done in a certain way that it "distorts" the likeness to an acceptable point.

Seeing these new pictures, I really believe the paints apps on both portraits is to get around likeness rights problems, it seems an odd thing to be occurring since it hasn't been a problem since ALIENS, but the eyes on Arnold look inhuman in color, the camo is totally off and obstructing, I really think they're playing the rights game with these and getting figures to match the film will take hiring a custom painter to fix them. Be curious to see how they handle Mac and Dillon.

Let me tell you!!sir~you guess totally right!!license problems!!!:cool:

Back