How many figures does HT produce for a given product???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmoney5000

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all -- so just curious, does anyone happen to know how many figures Hot Toys produces for a given product line? I'm still new to the whole collecting HT scene since I'm only on my 2nd purchase.

In a previous post I mentioned that I paid $511 on ebay for a new Hot Toys Joker 2.0 DX11 (with its original retail price being approx. $275ish), which has been out of production for a few years. It got me wondering how many they actually produce to justify such a jump in value since this particular item's value essentially doubled in such a short amount of time.

Do they make only like 1,000? A few hundred, a few thousand, or a few hundred thousand? Or do they produce a very finite amount like 100? Does anyone have any actual knowledge on this?

Hot toys knows and they aren't telling. I would guess a few thousand or so DX11s are around. It doubled due to being a great figure with a ton of extras. I had a couple EXs, all gone now, but it is a classic. Most HTs don't increase that much in value.

Id actually be really surprised if it were only a few thousand. Back long, long ago (in 1/6 terms that's 2009 :) ) when things were numbered, companies were generally working in the 2000 to 3000 range.
The hobbies 10 times bigger now and rather than instant sell outs upon preorder, things are generally available for months afterwards. And while the prices increase, rather than it being rare to see one on eBay, you see mass quantities.
And remember this and other forums represent 1% of the buyers.
Wouldn't be surprised to find out big releases are nearer the 10,000 mark.

Consider these things are sold world wide I would say at least 10 thousand.

I think it would be these days around 20,000- 30,000. A few years ago I'm sure it was far less but HT has grown in popularity and with Marvel and SW licenses it has to be pretty large.

Value is not dictated by production numbers; it's whatever price anybody is willing to pay. It doesn't matter if they produced 100k or 1k DX11's. But since you're willing to pay $500 due to scarcity, that's the doll's value for you. Would it be less scarce and therefore carry less "value" had they produced more? Maybe, maybe not. Many people might not be willing to pay more than $275 even if retailers still carry it; some still might be more than willing to drop more than what you paid for it in spite of availability. It has less to do with units of production or even scarcity, but rather perceived value.

I would think 15,000 on the low end. 20-30K sounds about right for most. 4,000 of their "exclusive" 10th Anniversary dolls were made 5 years ago or so, and they were lesser characters and variants.

Back