How many dips will you do on your Avengers characters?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthkush

Super Freak
Reaction score
What I mean by dips is how many times will you buy the same character/figure...in a different suit? This is something that I think Marvel Hot toys collectors are dealing with right now more than any other license/franchise. How many Black Widows will you buy? How many Iron Man's? Are you always searching for a definitive version? Are you one and done? How does it work for you?

As I've noted in other threads, I own three Hot toys Captain Americas. My best friend was over last night before we went to go see Deadpool and he was looking at my collection and he said,"why do you need three caps? Can't you sell me the Steve Rogers?" and I said no way. For me, I try to get one of each character, the most definitive version I can find. I ended up with 3 caps through not being totally satisfied with First Avenger Cap(I didn't like that he didn't come with a Rogers head) and I could only get the civilian Steve with Stealth Cap(who I also like and is a fun figure). And yet...I need a fourth Cap. I want an more colorful, modern Avengers Cap. I missed AOU so I'm probably going to buy the Civil War one and that maybe it for Captain Americas.

On the flip side, I own one Thor(dark world) and one Hulk(age of ultron) and I think they're great and don't plan to get any other versions of them. I have one Widow(winter soldier), one Hawkeye(aou), and one Iron Man(avengers). I would like to get a Tony Stark(I like civilian versions) and possibly one other Iron Man armor...BUT again, I was unsatisfied with Avengers Iron Man to an extent(his faceplates are hard to keep on. Regular face plate has no magnet at all now, just kind fell off, and the battle damaged one works but is still kinda delicate and shaky) so I'd be getting an "upgrade" so to speak. I want one with if not a full Tony Head, at least a flipped up facemask/portrait.

How do you decide how many times to dip per character?

All of iron man suits and 1 of each charecters. Depending on the upgrade/my wallet. Lol

I'm pretty much happy with my AOU cap, but might get the head sculpt for WS and upgrade Falcon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going for the most iconic to me with the exception of Iron Man. If a suit comes out that I just have to have, I will. I love the latest on AOU, the Mk45 I believe? I love the Avengers Iron Man, but I'll buy another suit if one comes I really dig. The CW one, Mk46, with all the LEDs might cause me to try for him. If it has all of those LEDs, it'll be pretty badass to display, so that might make me go for it even though I have my quota for the year with HT Deadpool and CW Cap. With the CW Cap, the normal head, I can buy a military dress suit and body and fit that head onto it, and there's my extra Steve Rogers, non-Cap figure, and the Avengers Iron Man has a no helmet Tony I can do the same with - get the extra body, Tony's clothes, got a Tony Stark figure too which expands the set without imploding the wallet. lol
But as for everything else....just one of each character that is the definitive version. HT Deadpool, AOU Hawkeye, AOU Black Widow, Avengers Hulk and Banner, Coulson, Winter Soldier Falcon even though I dig the red on the CW one, not worth a double-dip. At this point, I'll have to get AOU/CW versions of the characters unless I hold off until Infinity War versions. The problem is, they keep getting better with each release, and the first release of a character is generally not the best to get with the exception of HT Deadpool, that's just perfect.

J

Something I think about a lot. Really depends what else I want at the time and who I like more. Only restricted coz I get other things.

I need to upgrade the first Avenger. I hear the new ones have a metal shield. :)
Wouldn't mind an upgrade to helmed Thor one day too. Medicom Spidey has been upgraded.
Thought Falcon would do a Hawkeye, shoulda realised they'd move to red & white.
I really don't want to get anymore Sideshow as I'll likely end up with two Deadpools now.
And I have two Punishers already, and DoFP Wolvey. Ironman though? Six counting unleashed.
Four Batmen too, btw.

Well, right now I have 3 Widows with plans to own every version that comes out so :lol I'll probably end up with two Hawkeyes and two Winter Soldiers. I don't feel the need to own every Cap or every IM suit though. I have one suit (Heartbreaker) and at the moment that's enough for me. I would like a more "typical" Cap with the R/W/B color scheme so I'll probably pick up CW Cap.

I've had two Captain America's... going for a third. I'll probably keep the CW version unless he ever dons the chainmail.

Ive had one Hulk. And ill probably keep him forever.

I owe every Black Widow HT out there...because she is my favorite Avenger and when the other versions of her come out, I will buy them. Same goes for any of the Avengers women (Scarlet Witch in particular). The men...I can live with just one of them in my display (except for Cap. I bought the two pack of him in stealth suit and Steve Rogers, and I have the AoU one). :)

This is why a lot of collectors love Iron Man because every suit is a different character then you just need one Tony Stark and just one of each Avengers characters

See, for me right now it's becoming harder and harder to "pick". We still have one more Thor movie(at least), Guardians of the galaxy 2(I didn't get any of the guardians last time so i'll probably do a few this time depending on the outfits/sculpts), Dr. Strange, Spider-man, Black Panther, Capt. Marvel, and all the Infinity Wars. I feel like i'm only getting an Panther or Spider-man if they come with unmasked headsculpts, otherwise, i'm ASKING to buy 2 of them. With Thor: Ragnorok i'm waiting on a Loki. I didn't like dark world one and I missed the one from Avengers(which was my preference). There's a part of me that's wondering if I should just give my wallet a break until infinity wars. Then there's always the issue of dying characters or one and dones. I remember being sure Red Skull would come back at some point. He didn't and I missed him. Should I get The Vision? Will he change looks or will we constantly just get a slightly different sculpt with different accessories.

Black Widow is an interesting one to bring up. So far, all of her figures have been very different. BUT Civil War Black Widow looks like Winter Soldier one with different hair. How many of you guys would still bite on that(other than those of you who already said they buy every black widow)?

For Iron Man collectors, do you consider War Machine to be an Iron Man armor and buy all of him too or just one of him? I kind of want a War Machine but I don't know which would be the best one to get and how similar is he to the Iron Man figures? Am I gonna have faceplate issues with him too(magnets, whatever). I'm not saying all magnets are bad(my 89 Keaton batman has magnets in the mouth that work fine) but maybe my Iron Man just wasn't that great.

I have two Caps (AOU and Stealth suit) with the Stealth suit displaying the Steve Rogers head. I have just one of every other character I'm interested in. As for Iron Man armors, I have the Silver Centurion because unlike most of the others it actually looks like Stark could fit inside it, and I also have the first War Machine, though I don't consider that an Iron Man armor.

I try to just buy 1 of the character .... But own multiple ironmen ofcourse .... And some different caps .... When everything is said and done , I mostly only collect the heroes , and would just like 1 representation of each character .... I can't afford to buy em all .

It depends on how similar they look. I'm probably not going to be buying any Captain America merchandise from Civil War because his Civil War costume is almost exactly the same as his Age of Ultron one.

I similarly avoided buying the Hot Toys or Figuarts versions of War Machine Mark II because it's just the Iron Patriot costume with a new paint job.

Conversely, I have no problem with getting the new Hot Toys Hawkeye, since his costume is completely different from the one on the Age of Ultron figure.

For Iron Man collectors, do you consider War Machine to be an Iron Man armor and buy all of him too or just one of him? I kind of want a War Machine but I don't know which would be the best one to get and how similar is he to the Iron Man figures? Am I gonna have faceplate issues with him too(magnets, whatever). I'm not saying all magnets are bad(my 89 Keaton batman has magnets in the mouth that work fine) but maybe my Iron Man just wasn't that great.

As long as they're significantly different, I buy the War Machine figures, yeah. His upcoming Civil War redesign is different enough from his Age of Ultron and Iron Man 2 costumes that I don't feel like I'm wasting money on a repaint of a figure I already own.

Generally, I'll get every rendition for my favorite characters, or at least most. Others will just be a one and done, or two at the most.

For instance, I have every Cap figure thus far and will get CW. I have every Thor figure, every BW figure sans IM2 Widow and Mk 7, Mk 33, and Mk 42 and 43 for IM, with 45 on PO. Any other character is just a one and done or will have two at the most, as mentioned.

I only bought the original Mark III Iron Man and the Avengers Cap but may sell them because I like the Civil War look better

It depends on the character. I'm happy with my GOTG Star Lord and AoU Scarlet Witch. I won't be buying any "dupes" of those, even if the costumes change. I currently own three Caps (TFA Rescue, TFA Hero Costume, and TWS Stealth) and plan on picking up the Civil War figure as well. When it comes to the Caps, I wanted at least one from each of his solo films and for the outfits/styling to be significantly different from one another. For those particular figures, they are. The Avengers Cap and AoU Cap are far too flashy for my taste :lol

I also have an Avengers Loki and a TDW Loki, although I half wish I had stuck with just the Avengers figure because the outfits are so similar. At this point, it's unlikely that I'll pick up Ragnarok Loki if he looks relatively unchanged (I assume there will be small cosmetic changes, but not enough for me to justify shelling out another $250).

On the other hand, I'll buy any and all Bucky/Winter Soldier figures they put out, even with similar outfits. There are fewer figures for him (still hoping for a very late release of a TFA Bucky) so I know he'll be able to fit into my case and my wallet.

For characters I'm not crazy about, I'll pass completely, especially when their costumes look virtually the same with each release (ex Black Widow).

I went for rule of one for mine, but then I ended up buying all the Thors. I have to say thinking about the Scarlet Witch designs, it's tempting to collects SW figures too.. I may buy AoU Widow if I can get her cheap, to keep my Avenger lineup in the same movie, but having TWS version, I have no interest in Civil War or the earlier ones, unless they can really get the head right..

As a newer 1/6 collector just over the last year or so, coming into collecting late compared to many old school collectors. Double or triple dipping isn't even a option for me yet. First I am just looking for strictly the best overall representation of each character available. Factoring in many different aspects of each fig (head scult, costume, articulation range of motion, many more)

Basically want the definitive version of each character. Call me crazy but when I look over at the shelf I want to see a small dude chilling out... not a toy. My small collection includes AOU -Hulk, -MK43, -Thor,-Capt, -Hawkeye, SW Black Widow, DX12 Batman, Starlord and AS2 Spidey.

So be my standard I may need to upgrade to the new Civil War Capt. +Range of motion, + headscult w/ new mouth plate

I'm tryin' to get one HT figure of Rogers per movie.
Might have to pass on CW if that's his only costume in the entire film and/or the only HT figure.

Back