How do you rank the Predator films now?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Predator 2 rips off Predator!? :lol

Predator
Written by Jim Thomas & John Thomas

Predator 2

How exactly can you rip yourself off!? The same people who wrote Predator wrote Predator 2. Did George Lucas rip himself off when he wrote all the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies!?

The reason people are saying Predators is a rip off is because it was written by new people: Michael Finch & Alex Litvak i.e. NOT Jim Thomas & John Thomas.

That's a new one though, ripping yourself off. :lol

Predator

Predator 2

How exactly can you rip yourself off!? The same people who wrote Predator wrote Predator 2. Did George Lucas rip himself off when he wrote all the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies!?

The reason people are saying Predators is a rip off is because it was written by new people: Michael Finch & Alex Litvak i.e. NOT Jim Thomas & John Thomas.

Though I agree with you for the most part I have to point out that George Lucas did in fact rip himself off beginning with Return of the Jedi and its re-hashed plot to destroy the Death Star.

Predator

Predator 2

It's possible. It really is. Hell, many composers rip off themselves. Ever listen to The Quick and the Dead soundtrack? Now listen to the Mummy Returns....there's one cue in that movie that is exacly the same.

Hans Zimmer- Gladiator- Pirates-ect... (Both him and Klaus came up with the theme. )

And you know, if they didnt like the movie for story reasons, acting reasons, whatever...but to say is a ripoff is just silly. ALL PREDATOR STORIES ARE THE SAME! :lol

Almost comic book, Predator novel, are the same story. Predator comes down to hunt. Kills people. One human stands up, and fights back. Finally defeats the Predator...The End.

I mean, it's a B movie series. It shouldnt be taken seriously. It's a simple idea, with variations to make it seem different. But it's actually the same. Predator 2 is Predator with Glover, cops, drugs, and a city.

I don't think you guys understand what I'm saying. You can't rip yourself off. If you go into a store and take money from the register, you're ripping that store off. If you OWN the store and take money from your own register that's not ripping off anyone. It's YOURS to begin with.

If you create something, and reuse elements again that's not a rip off. That's called recycling or rehashing your old stuff. When someone else reuses something already made by someone else, that's called biting i.e. a rip off.

Like I said, there's a fine line between paying homage and outright copying.

Yes there is. And the only shot I can safely say is an outright copy, was the Hanzo pre fight scene.

That's it. A ton of rehasing, and homages...but no outright copy.

Everyone is referencing the sword fight to go with Billy and that completely went over my head. But why isn't anyone comparing the part where king willy draws his cane sword with Billy? Maybe Predators was ripping off Predator 2!

Everyone is referencing the sword fight to go with Billy and that completely went over my head. But why isn't anyone comparing the part where king willy draws his cane sword with Billy? Maybe Predators was ripping off Predator 2!

Because it is. He stops, nods to the others, looks back, and takes off his shirt.

Even the same score too.

Oh I see it now but while I was watching, that thought didn't cross my mind. Now that its been mentioned it makes sense.

No. Not at all. You cant rip off your own series. :lol

Only when it's the same writer(s). Predator and Predator 2 = same writers. AVP and AVP = same writer (Shane Salerno). Predators was written by new people. Obviously within the same franchise there's going to be similarities i.e. each movie has a Predator(s). But even within the same franchise, if there's different writers and they start copying other stuff that isn't standard (like the title character for example) that other writers came up with, then that's a rip off.

Ok, I agree...but nothing in this film was really a rip off. Characters were similer...but I didnt see any rip offs. Nikolai only had the mini gun. He was not Blain 2. Hanzo only fought a Predator in a similer way like Billy...but was not Billy 2. Mombasa was almost Billy 2...but he died to quick to really sink that in.

Izzy was not Anna, Royce was not Dutch, Stans was more Hudson then Poncho or Hawkins....

No one was Mac. :lol

Some scenes were similer...i'd give the start of the Hanzo fight the ripoff award...thats it. But aside from that, the scene was incredibly different...:lol

Only when it's the same writer(s). Predator and Predator 2 = same writers. AVP and AVP = same writer (Shane Salerno). Predators was written by new people. Obviously within the same franchise there's going to be similarities i.e. each movie has a Predator(s). But even within the same franchise, if there's different writers and they start copying other stuff that isn't standard (like the title character for example) that other writers came up with, then that's a rip off.
all of the Star Wars films (and EU) are repeatedly self-referencing. and consists of many different writers.
what's the difference?

i think i'm with Celtic on this one. you can't really "rip off" stuff within a franchise.

Also, Dev, you havent even seen it! :lol

Go watch it on a steamer site, then we can actually discuss this. :D

Back